1       2       3              125      
       127              356       357       end

Leica R Series Lenses

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.126 #1 · p.126 #1 · Leica R Series Lenses

naturephoto1 wrote:
The glass all looks mint and very clean. I can see no problems inside on the optics when I view through the lens toward a light source.

Not just any light source will show problems. With my old Maglite I can see some problems, but with my new LED flashlight, I can see every speck of dust, every hair, every little bit of fungus, mildew, or haze. I would recommend getting a good LED flashlight and carefully checking every edge for problems. Anything which is more structured than random dust should be examined. Anything which appears to glow when the light is shone from behind is a potential start to more serious problems. Anything which looks like thin strands of spider web may be fungus.

If there is something there, I presume it is minimal, since you saw nothing on the first attempt. In this case you could either send the lens back, or try to rectify it. Apparently shining strong UV light through a lens will kill off spores, and you could of course have it torn down, cleaned and reassembled, although this can cost many hundred dollars.

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:32 PM
naturephoto1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.126 #2 · p.126 #2 · Leica R Series Lenses

Almass wrote:
Hello Rich

1- Try the usual test of shining a torch at angles in case you can spot any Fungus or debris..etc.
Which you seems you already did?

2- Try shining a Black light (preferably long wave as Short wave is rather harmful to the eyes) to reveal any fungus or bacteria or maybe glue separation.....etc.

3- Take the lens out and place wide open with no caps in a well tight plastic container with an open small jar filled with Sodium bicarbonate. Keep the container closed for few days and check for smell and renew the Bicarb.
This will get rid of the
...Show more

Almass,

Thanks for the input. I have alerted the seller of the problem. My wife smelled everything immediately and has suggested that I send the lens back right now. But, I am not so sure since the lens appears to be in such fine condition and performance and the difficulty in finding these lenses.

The members over a L Camera Forum have also agreed about strong sunlight and/or UV (Black Light source). One member (also from the UK) placed the box and the case in the sunlight for several weeks and also suggested using Thyme (the pizza spice), which is strong natural fungicide. He kept the lens in a bowl filled with thyme for a week and also used it to treat leather case,which got rid of bad smell ("actually everything is very tasty now").

So, I am looking to get a relatively inexpensive UV (Black Light) and to use that followed by either the Thyme or the Sodium Bicarbonate.

Rich

Dec 07, 2012 at 06:45 PM
naturephoto1
• • • •
p.126 #3 · p.126 #3 · Leica R Series Lenses

carstenw wrote:
Not just any light source will show problems. With my old Maglite I can see some problems, but with my new LED flashlight, I can see every speck of dust, every hair, every little bit of fungus, mildew, or haze. I would recommend getting a good LED flashlight and carefully checking every edge for problems. Anything which is more structured than random dust should be examined. Anything which appears to glow when the light is shone from behind is a potential start to more serious problems. Anything which looks like thin strands of spider web may be fungus.

If there is
...Show more

Thanks Carsten,

I have a powerful LED flashlight and there is certainly dust in the lens. I have contacted the seller about the issue. As a start, I will try to get an inexpensive Black Light (UV light). Also, probably next Tuesday I will run to New Jersey and to Leica USA/NA to check the lens for fungus and to go from there. After my visit to Leica I will go on to check the Fuji X-E1 for handling with my Leica R lenses with a Novoflex adapter at a well known New Jersey photo shop.

If Leica indicates Fungus and/or the work is required, I will probably just return the lens. If Leica gives the lens a clean bill of health, then I will continue my efforts to remedy the smell and to make sure that lens will not develop any fungus. If all else fails I will ship the lens back to the seller.

Rich

Dec 07, 2012 at 08:56 PM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.126 #4 · p.126 #4 · Leica R Series Lenses

naturephoto1 wrote:
I am not sure what to do. A couple of days ago as many of you know I took receipt of one of the very expensive f4 280mm Apo Telyt lenses. It was marked as M for the glass which it is and the lens appears to be cosmetically in close to M- condition. I have run some preliminary tests and the lens appears to be performing exceptionally well on my Lumix G1 camera for digital tests.

The issue is that the paper work that came with the lens and the case definitely have a musty probably moldy/mildew odor like in
...Show more

If you detect small fungus on optics - you can neutralize it with sunlight, long shine through. Ultraviolet light kills the spores of fungus and it loses the ability to reproduce. I had a case where the micro mold completely disappeared after the summer shoting.

In any case, the mold is formed in the lens only in one case - when lens is not used!

When the lens used, the internal air circulation, and ultraviolet light to kill any chances for mold inside the optical unit. Even if was condensation for some reasons.

In fact, in your case, I think it's not so bad

Dec 07, 2012 at 09:17 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.126 #5 · p.126 #5 · Leica R Series Lenses

What is the going rate for excellent condition with OBM 21-35mm and 80-200f4 Leica Zoom? Ebay don't have enough data and usually price are way higher.

I know 21-35mm will hit the mirror at wide end on Canon, how about nikon, is it possible convert on Nikon at all. I don't see info on Leitax mention Zoom.

I know 80-200mm is made in Japan, but seems have good performance.

Dec 07, 2012 at 11:27 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.126 #6 · p.126 #6 · Leica R Series Lenses

I got my excellent condition 80-200/f4 no-rom for 800, and 21-35 asph for 1500 few years ago. I don't think you can adapt the 21-35 to Nikon. It won't clear the mirror of 5D2 even the protective shroud was removed!
80-200/f4 is different from those Minolta rebadged zooms. It's designed in Solms, but manufactured by Kyocera in Japan. It has similar performance of 70-180 APO since they shared the same design strategy. I suspect they are under the same designer. 21-35 ASPH is the latest wide angle zoom also designed and manufactured in Solms. It produces crispy and contrasty image up to 2/3 of the frame. On the edge, it's softer, but still good enough for large print. If you got Nikon body, why not consider the excellent 14-24/2.8?

Dec 08, 2012 at 07:28 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.126 #7 · p.126 #7 · Leica R Series Lenses

phuang3,

Thanks for your feedback. Actually I had nikon trinity before. Just can't excite me whenever put those black brick on my camera body. I prefer Manual.
I might be able to buy these two pieces locally. but I don't have enough knowledge about Leica Zoom. and also have no idea about its market value as ebay data is distorted. $800 is a very nice price. I am sure it is going up as by now.

Dec 08, 2012 at 08:38 AM
naturephoto1
• • • •
p.126 #8 · p.126 #8 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
phuang3,

Thanks for your feedback. Actually I had nikon trinity before. Just can't excite me whenever put those black brick on my camera body. I prefer Manual.
I might be able to buy these two pieces locally. but I don't have enough knowledge about Leica Zoom. and also have no idea about its market value as ebay data is distorted. $800 is a very nice price. I am sure it is going up as by now.

The f4 80-200mm Vario Elmar lenses are on the rise for sale cost. In September some sold for close to $1,000 and subsequently some for as low as about $1100. Lately I have been seeing these lenses selling on ebay for about $1,200 to $1,600 or so. Some have been listed on ebay with a Buy it Now price of between a little over $1,800 to about $2,100.

I thought and hoped that I had one for a good price that turned out to be a "sham" on ebay. I am waiting for Paypal to return my money and am again on the lookout for one as well.

Rich

Dec 08, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Almass
• • •
p.126 #9 · p.126 #9 · Leica R Series Lenses

Some shots of the APO 200/4 flying high.
Handheld and cropped shots.
(also posted at Mustang Air to Air)

It is all because of Rich (naturephoto1) who remind me of the APO 280/4. In fact it was simply faster to mount the APO 280/4 and start shooting than to get the tripod out with the gimbal and slap a 200/2 or 300/2.8 as the show would have been over by the time I get ready.

Moral of the story: The APO 280/4 rules the skies.

So here are some quick shots:

Dec 08, 2012 at 03:43 PM
JimUe
• • •
p.126 #10 · p.126 #10 · Leica R Series Lenses

Sony α900, Leica 50mm É/1.4 Summilux-R

Dec 08, 2012 at 03:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

naturephoto1
• • • •
p.126 #11 · p.126 #11 · Leica R Series Lenses

naturephoto1 wrote:
The f4 80-200mm Vario Elmar lenses are on the rise for sale cost. In September some sold for close to $1,000 and subsequently some for as low as about $1100. Lately I have been seeing these lenses selling on ebay for about $1,200 to $1,600 or so. Some have been listed on ebay with a Buy it Now price of between a little over $1,800 to about $2,100.

I thought and hoped that I had one for a good price that turned out to be a "sham" on ebay. I am waiting for Paypal to return my money and am again
...Show more

Many thanks to j.liam who sent me a PM about an available f4 80-200mm Vario Elmar in M/M- condition from a very reputable dealer at a good price. I have ordered the lens and it is to ship to me on Monday.

Rich

Dec 08, 2012 at 05:03 PM
telyt
• • •
p.126 #12 · p.126 #12 · Leica R Series Lenses

Almass wrote:
Moral of the story: The APO 280/4 rules the skies.

Agreed.

280/4 by itself:

with 1.4x APO extender:

with 2x APO extender:

Dec 08, 2012 at 05:24 PM
robsteve
• • •
p.126 #13 · p.126 #13 · Leica R Series Lenses

zhangyue wrote:
What is the going rate for excellent condition with OBM 21-35mm and 80-200f4 Leica Zoom? Ebay don't have enough data and usually price are way higher.

I know 21-35mm will hit the mirror at wide end on Canon, how about nikon, is it possible convert on Nikon at all. I don't see info on Leitax mention Zoom.

I know 80-200mm is made in Japan, but seems have good performance.

The 21-35mm can be adapted to Nikon. I am using mine on a D800E. I haven't modified the lens, just used a modified Leitax mount. The mirror will hit the rear element at 21mm, but a few mm short of the 21mm setting, it doesn't hit the mirror. You can use the 21mm setting if you select live view and after the mirror is up for live view, zoom to 21mm.

Leitax will modify the 21-35mm for use on Nikons including the 21mm setting. You need to ask them for the pricing. There is also a special Leitax mount for the 21-35mm with an area on the back of the mount machined out to allow room for the ROM ribbon cable.

In regards to pricing, there seems to be lots of completed auctions at $2,500 and higher. If your local dealer is selling it below this, it is a good price. The 21-35mm is one of the lenses the RED camera users have discovered and it will also be popular for the new Leica M. It will only go up in price.

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:41 PM
chadlanc

p.126 #14 · p.126 #14 · Leica R Series Lenses

robsteve wrote:
The 21-35mm is one of the lenses the RED camera users have discovered and it will also be popular for the new Leica M. It will only go up in price.

I've got the 21-35, 35-70/2.8, and soon the 15/2.8 for my Red Epic. They all work wonderfully.

Dec 09, 2012 at 12:25 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.126 #15 · p.126 #15 · Leica R Series Lenses

robsteve wrote:
The 21-35mm can be adapted to Nikon. I am using mine on a D800E. I haven't modified the lens, just used a modified Leitax mount. The mirror will hit the rear element at 21mm, but a few mm short of the 21mm setting, it doesn't hit the mirror. You can use the 21mm setting if you select live view and after the mirror is up for live view, zoom to 21mm.

Leitax will modify the 21-35mm for use on Nikons including the 21mm setting. You need to ask them for the pricing. There is also a special Leitax mount for
...Show more

Hi, Rob,

Thanks for info. That is a private sale. He ask $1800 for 80-200 with OBM in mint condition. I guess it is not that great price. Do you know if it can be adapt to Nikon use?
I know 21-35 can be adapt to Canon 5DII use, also miss the 21mm end. Do I need special converter for 21-35? or just regular Leitax R to N will do.

Thanks.

Dec 09, 2012 at 12:39 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.126 #16 · p.126 #16 · Leica R Series Lenses

chadlanc wrote:
I've got the 21-35, 35-70/2.8, and soon the 15/2.8 for my Red Epic. They all work wonderfully.

I shot few video with 35-70/4 on 5D2, and the result is just phenomenal. Can't image the pro video from a Red Epic!

Dec 09, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.126 #17 · p.126 #17 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
Thank you and likewise.
Yes, this lens doesnít lose much despite its age. I like its colour and saturation; it can clearly compete with its Zeiss equivalent, IMO.
On a plus side, it can be quite sharp in the center area if used with a decent (Leitax) adapter. Extreme corners are on a soft side though. New Leica lens profiles from Adobe ARC 7.3 beta version may address some of Cron's geometric imperfections.

this is e48 or e55 ver.?

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:36 AM
JaKo
• • •
p.126 #18 · p.126 #18 · Leica R Series Lenses

Worldinlens wrote:
this is e48 or e55 ver.?

My copy is E55 from 1985

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:29 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.126 #19 · p.126 #19 · Leica R Series Lenses

I WANT LEICA!

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:34 AM
Worldinlens
• • •
p.126 #20 · p.126 #20 · Leica R Series Lenses

JaKo wrote:
My copy is E55 from 1985

Somewhat surprisingly. Because E48 is even more sharp in the center than E55. But even a E55 a bit sharper than Zeiss

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:12 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password