Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2010 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

tr1957
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

I use an aftermarket split image screen on my 20D. I also bought a bis_is aftermarket chip and installed it (had to shim it with two layers of plastic from an old credit card to get it to the right height). With the chip the 20D autofocus confirm light works.

May 02, 2010 at 11:28 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

I am impressed......as shown here by Tri Tran and Trumpet guy, that very inexpensive lens has a terrific IQ.

May 03, 2010 at 12:21 AM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

It's quite well known already in Alternate Gear Forum....
it really gives you that smooth look....or so called buttery background.....

May 03, 2010 at 01:33 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

tr1957 wrote:
... I also bought a bis_is aftermarket chip and installed it (had to shim it with two layers of plastic from an old credit card to get it to the right height). With the chip the 20D autofocus confirm light works.

This might make me consider it more if the chip was truly accurate. I just don't really trust my ability to MF at f/1.4.

Great sample shots by the way guys.

May 03, 2010 at 01:52 AM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

Yes, well known on the Alt board, but Tri Tran's example shots trigger a real appreciation for me and my close-in shooting style... both forward and backward OOF is very pleasing... I'm sure it comes at a price in sharpness, but looks like a great trade.

On FF you can focus without a chip, but AF confirmation is nice... trouble is that most chips are based on an f2.8 lens... don't know if this is updated by some of the current sources (alt people?).

Also, on FF, stop-down metering is not a big deal since you can MF focus to f5.6, so unless you stop-down beyond that for your shot you just dial in the aperture and shoot, even if it is a little dark... but some L-zooms are as dark as f4 and consumer zooms smaller...

May 03, 2010 at 02:33 AM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.2 #6 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

I purchased mine from Cameta Camera, via their Amazon storefront.
Good seller, prompt shipping, no problems. The price was about $245,
as I recall. This lens is being marketed as a decidedly "bargain" product.
It is shipped in a hard plastic display shell. The lens has no serial number,
the hood is cheesy, since it's difficult to remove it with the lens cap is on.
The lens itself feels well built and solid. The focus ring is a bit stiff for my
taste, but it works well.

For a series of very nice portriats taken with this lens, see this thread:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/829780/

Attractive model, tasteful poses and good work behind the camera too.

May 03, 2010 at 05:05 AM
dfresh
• • • •
p.2 #7 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

The EF 85/1.8 + Rokinon 85/1.4 makes a nice alternative (and cheaper) combo than the 85L alone

May 03, 2010 at 05:29 PM
Daniel Heineck
• • •
p.2 #8 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

mh2000 wrote:
Yes, well known on the Alt board, but Tri Tran's example shots trigger a real appreciation for me and my close-in shooting style... both forward and backward OOF is very pleasing... I'm sure it comes at a price in sharpness, but looks like a great trade.

On FF you can focus without a chip, but AF confirmation is nice... trouble is that most chips are based on an f2.8 lens... don't know if this is updated by some of the current sources (alt people?).

Also, on FF, stop-down metering is not a big deal since you can MF focus to f5.6, so
...Show more

MH--there's programmable chips that will let you go from f1 all the way up. Don't have a thread link handy off the top of my head.

I haven't done this yet with my Rokinon/samyang, yet. Also, plan on having an extension tube around, since the mfd is pretty long.

The rendering is great, though, and I like it at medium distances a bunch.

May 03, 2010 at 08:38 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

May 03, 2010 at 09:27 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

MF focus makes me want to punch myself.

May 03, 2010 at 09:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Orestis.Ch
• •
p.2 #11 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

RobertLynn wrote:

+1

i tried some MF with the EF 85 F1.8 and out of 10 times i got 0 spot on

May 03, 2010 at 09:56 PM
camerapapi
• • • •
p.2 #12 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

I have not used one but judging by the images I see here it seems as a very nice lens with a bargain price.
Something I do like about it is that the photographer can set apertures in the lens. Its performance wide open is impressive.
By the way, I know you are showing shots wide open for others to judge but in the picture of the young lady, the very fist one, I would have placed the right arm closer to the body to control depth of field better and I would have done a 3/4 body view for the same reason to avoid the feet out of focus, that to a certain extent is a distraction.
You have a nice lens. Enjoy!

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

May 03, 2010 at 10:07 PM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

It was my understanding that all the early chips (like my Leica-EOS adaptor) were based on the 24-70L and as such focus was confirmed when DOF was adequate for a f2.8 lens... so if you get to change them somehow, that would be great... I think the maker would have to burn this into the chip and not the user (firmware based? That would be scary!)

Daniel Heineck wrote:
MH--there's programmable chips that will let you go from f1 all the way up. Don't have a thread link handy off the top of my head.

I haven't done this yet with my Rokinon/samyang, yet. Also, plan on having an extension tube around, since the mfd is pretty long.

The rendering is great, though, and I like it at medium distances a bunch.

May 03, 2010 at 10:18 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

Orestis.Ch wrote:
+1

i tried some MF with the EF 85 F1.8 and out of 10 times i got 0 spot on

Same here, that was going to be my MF lens, and instead I just MFed the lens. It was great in the AF department, and was a wickedly sharp lens.

For my MF to be in focus, I'd have to shoot at like f/5.6 and "hope" I hit the target.

May 03, 2010 at 10:56 PM
Daniel Heineck
• • •
p.2 #15 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

mh2000 wrote:
It was my understanding that all the early chips (like my Leica-EOS adaptor) were based on the 24-70L and as such focus was confirmed when DOF was adequate for a f2.8 lens... so if you get to change them somehow, that would be great... I think the maker would have to burn this into the chip and not the user (firmware based? That would be scary!)

Here's one that I think has had some talk over in the alt-world. Things have changed since the last time you looked, methinks (haven't tried this chip to be honest, but have some f1.8 and f2 chips which are correct at said apertures)

http://store.tagotech.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=139

May 03, 2010 at 11:01 PM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.2 #16 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

RobertLynn wrote:

ha ha ha ha ha ha

May 03, 2010 at 11:01 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

RobertLynn wrote:

I see a Monty Python sketch coming up.

May 03, 2010 at 11:03 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

...still laughing...

May 03, 2010 at 11:17 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #19 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

I have one which was purchased from Cameta Camera. It is very nicely finished and does not feel cheap at all. Solid.

Sharp enough wide open, which is where I plan to use (and have been using) this lens. Excellent stopped down too.

Tought to focus at 1.4, I used live view before 40D met rock . Very shallow depth of field, which is the point but a pain to get focused. Lots of CA, highly curved front element, but often not a problem.

You might get one in a different mount and get a focus confirm adapter, so that you will have focus confirm, at least. Such as if you shoot canon get a nikon and an adapter.

Since I use this lens at 5.6 or wider anyway most of the time, the manual aperture isn't really a problem. Many lenses are that slow wide open.

May 03, 2010 at 11:26 PM
najimi13

p.2 #20 · My Rokinon 85mm f1.4...

AmbientMike wrote:
You might get one in a different mount and get a focus confirm adapter, so that you will have focus confirm, at least. Such as if you shoot canon get a nikon and an adapter.

Been thinking about trying this lens for a while and the whole MF thing has had me scared, but this is a really great idea. I think that's exactly what I'll do. lol

May 04, 2010 at 04:00 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password