Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2010 · Pelican-style case for home storage

dfresh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pelican-style case for home storage

I'm looking for a large case for home camera gear storage and really like the design of the Pelican cases. However, I really don't need something that rugged and durable, so I'm looking for suggestions of some (cheaper) alternatives.

Apr 30, 2010 at 08:32 PM
unangelino
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pelican-style case for home storage

I'm surprised nobody replied to this. I'd be interested in some less expensive, less bomb-proof alternatives to Pelican cases myself.

Anyone?

Nov 27, 2010 at 09:22 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pelican-style case for home storage

If you don't need rugged/watertight, you might find something from Ikea for storage. or perhaps something from Rubbermaid at Walmart? I've got some stackable translucent cases (maybe 16"W x 24"L x 12"H)) I use for storing car parts/cleaners/towels, etc. I do use Pelicans (a 1500 and 1600, both with padded dividers) for my camera gear, and was lucky to get them cheaply on craiglist. I'm in tropical humidity, so I appreciate the watertight Pelicans, and use a large box of desiccant in each, which would be pointless in any case which wasn't watertight.

Nov 27, 2010 at 10:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pelican-style case for home storage

milk crates? it works. its less expensive. its not quite as water resistant. solidly built. stacks nice. and i do use them in my closets for non sensitive gear.

after that all sorts of rubbermaid type products.

the Pelicans just work so much better though.
protection
nice foot rest
nice bench for visitors

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:35 PM
caad4rep
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pelican-style case for home storage

sjms, which case is that?

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:47 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pelican-style case for home storage

Pelican cases are great for gear storage at home. And you also have the option to use them when travel or going away. I have four of them. But if I was living in the USA with the really cheap pelican prices that you have, i would buy a lot more

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:07 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pelican-style case for home storage

caad4rep wrote:
sjms, which case is that?

the Pelican 1664
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/415700-REG/Pelican_1660_024_190_1664_Waterproof_1660_Case.html

Edited on Nov 28, 2010 at 12:15 AM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:11 AM
MikeDitz
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pelican-style case for home storage

I have a few Rubbermaid tubs that are black with a grey top and red handles they are called Actionpacker. I keep norman heads and cords and reflectors etc in them. Not as sturdy as a Pelican but also about $40 and lightweight...they have a lot of different sizes too.

this is the style I have:
http://www.rei.com/product/634288

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:11 AM
Aaron D
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pelican-style case for home storage

I'm curious if long term storage in a water tight case, one has to be concerned about mold growth and should use a desiccant.

I know I wouldn't close my safe without desiccant. What about one of these cases?

Nov 28, 2010 at 03:40 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pelican-style case for home storage

I keep one of these in each of my large Pelican's:

http://www.theruststore.com/450-Gram-Rechargeable-Silica-Gel-Dehumidifier-P58C6.aspx

Surely bigger than I need, but this is Florida, and I'm extra careful. I actually get fungus growing on my automotive tools (on the plastic handles), so I know it's in the neighborhood.

Nov 28, 2010 at 05:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pelican-style case for home storage

Aaron D wrote:
I'm curious if long term storage in a water tight case, one has to be concerned about mold growth and should use a desiccant.

I know I wouldn't close my safe without desiccant. What about one of these cases?

I have never had any problem. Even when I'm living in Thailand. And it's a lot more humid there than any place in the USA.
But it also depends on what you mean by "long term storage"

Nov 28, 2010 at 07:58 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pelican-style case for home storage

Aaron D wrote:

I also roll with the Pelican 1664 (everything fits from my profile gear list) and have a couple
of large Zorb-its tossed in for good measure. Check 'em out
http://www.zorb-it.com/usermods/faq.asp

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:40 AM
picfox
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pelican-style case for home storage

what's about humidity controlled dry boxes, there are a lot of them on the market, however you cannot travel with them, but you didn't ask for this

Living in the tropics I'm more than happy to use a digital controlled dry box

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:49 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pelican-style case for home storage

I love my Pelican cases. Very good for storage

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:37 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pelican-style case for home storage

I was never interested in getting a Pelican case for my gear until I got one as part of a camera deal. I'd been storing my lenses in clear plastic Rubbermaid containers. Now I use a Pelican1520 with velcro dividers for all my smaller lenses. The advantages to Pelican cases are:

1. Very good physical protection for your gear (from shock and moisture)
2. Compact and stacks well
3, Can be locked shut
4. Easily portable
5. Flexible to changing needs (when you get the velcro dividers)

Now I'll probably get another case to store my camera bodies and flashes.

Nov 28, 2010 at 04:22 PM
Gregory Edge
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pelican-style case for home storage

I have a couple Underwater Kinetics boxes. They are left over from my film days. I used to carry my wedding setups in them. I have since reconfigured the dividers. I use the 821 models. There deeper than similar sized Pelicans and I believe cheaper. Very strong as I carry one to little league baseball and use it to stand on or sit on plus when it is raining everything stays dry and mud free. You can usually find them used with dividers.

Nov 28, 2010 at 04:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pelican-style case for home storage

trenchmonkey wrote:
I also roll with the Pelican 1664 (everything fits from my profile gear list) and have a couple
of large Zorb-its tossed in for good measure. Check 'em out
http://www.zorb-it.com/usermods/faq.asp

+1

Nov 28, 2010 at 06:03 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pelican-style case for home storage

I use lateral file drawers with Domke inserts inside. Tripods and light stands fit in the drawers also. It's not portable, though. And I am starting to appreciate that level of organization and portability of a Pelican when on site trying to find things stuffed into numerous small pockets among two to three camera bags. So Pelican is in my future to make things easier.

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:16 PM
greggn
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pelican-style case for home storage

I find it comforting to know that, in one swift motion, I can grab my Pelican and carry all bodies and lenses out the door should the need arise.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:20 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pelican-style case for home storage

This thread got me thinking I need another Pelican case so I went to B&H and scored a 1520 with padded dividers for $120 with free shipping! Here's the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/523589-REG/Pelican_1520_004_130_1524_Waterproof_1520_Case.html

Nov 29, 2010 at 02:51 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password