Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              8       9       end

Archive 2010 · Black & White (89 Images)

Evan Baines
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Black & White (89 Images)

tmkdesign wrote:
Obviously these are more amazing than anything I could ever imagine myself doing. And I'm sure that as I develop I would look back on these and see things I can't even begin to understand now. I usually lurk and not comment on something that I really can't give a good critique on.... but I must ask, if simply because you stated you needed help picking what to print, where it the head of the figure opposite bride and goom in picture 25?

Good catch. I accidentally put that one in.... I meant to put another frame into the set. I've replaced it. Thank you.

Edited on Apr 21, 2010 at 05:51 PM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2010 at 05:49 PM
Sergio Mottola
• • • •
p.3 #2 · Black & White (89 Images)

filthy, this set is some upper echelon shit.

Apr 21, 2010 at 05:51 PM
Sergio Mottola
• • • •
p.3 #3 · Black & White (89 Images)

also, your film black and whites are so much better than my fake film black and whites.

Apr 21, 2010 at 05:51 PM
babakn
• •
p.3 #4 · Black & White (89 Images)

Best set from you Baines! All pics looks good, only wish there would be little less grain.

Apr 21, 2010 at 05:52 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · Black & White (89 Images)

Evan Baines wrote:
Eyeball: It is a great question. First, on the purely objective end, you're absolutely right that with a lot of effort, you could get digital shots to look pretty darn close to this on a screen. The grain might not be as truly random and organic (unless you scanned grainy negs and spent ridiculous effort on it), and the highlight roll-off and other issues might be subtly different.... but you could get close enough to fool all but a true conniseur.

The difference really shows up when you start making prints. A true darkroom fiber print made from film has
...Show more

Evan - Thanks for the detailed response. Film vs. digital can be debated in many ways but I was curious what your reasons were and you explained them very well. I wish you the best success with this special product/service.

Apr 21, 2010 at 05:55 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · Black & White (89 Images)

I'm headed to the accountant so I'll pick favs later, but I want to say that I just went from six to midnight. :P

Apr 21, 2010 at 05:55 PM
Matt B.
• • •
p.3 #7 · Black & White (89 Images)

What I find amazing is just how timeless this set truly is...and I mean that in a highly respectful and admiring way. Seriously, with one or two exceptions where you can see Sam or another person using a digital camera, these pictures look like they could have been taken decades ago.

I don't know how much the B&W or film contributes to that, or if it's just your style Evan, but that to me is such an impressive quality.

In terms of favorites, I really like 44, 47, 49, and 78. As someone else said, I could see 78 hanging on my own wall as a fine art piece, that was one of the first things I thought of.

Apr 21, 2010 at 06:01 PM
peterfriday
• •
p.3 #8 · Black & White (89 Images)

dude, magnum package for sure.

I'm glad we labeled everything that was push/pulled correctly and I didn't lose film rolls. You should have taken a hipstamatic iphone pic of the TSA guy hand checking 50 rolls of film.

I learned a ton from you and Sam this weekend, thanks!

Apr 21, 2010 at 06:06 PM
LeeW

p.3 #9 · Black & White (89 Images)

These are all great & 15-20 of the images are absolutely superb. I love the look of film, I try & emulate the look myself in some of my digital B&W's. Very, very well done!

Apr 21, 2010 at 06:31 PM
brucemuir
• • • •
p.3 #10 · Black & White (89 Images)

^
Peter, did you soup the film?
What was the film processed in?
Would love to see the actual contact sheets.

Apr 21, 2010 at 06:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Miker Reid
• • •
p.3 #11 · Black & White (89 Images)

I have always said I would shoot only in black and white if I thought I could get away with it, but I just don't have the stones to try it.

In my head this is what wedding photography should look like, scans schmans, I like them exactly how they are with the grain and the blur and the not sharp.
There is so much character life and emotion in these I don't have the words really...

13 44 45 47 48 49 50 75 78 82 84
Really as good as it gets, Love Love all these shots.

Granted the wedding was a perfect opportunity to showcase this type of photography, the couple was amazing and classy.

I don't think these would have the same impact at Joe and Ruth's kegger wedding at Uncle Joes...apologies to Joe and Ruth.

Your skill as a photographer is really on showcase here as you made this look easy and we all know it was far from it.

Massive Kudos, charge a lot and market it well you will kill with this!

Edited on Apr 21, 2010 at 07:32 PM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2010 at 06:44 PM
radioblurs
• • • •
p.3 #12 · Black & White (89 Images)

we already talked about this, B, but i want to put into writing how gorgeous this set is

i also am pretty lucky to be able to shoot with someone who takes documentary photography and black and white so seriously

daniel

Apr 21, 2010 at 07:15 PM
lindabrowne
• • • •
p.3 #13 · Black & White (89 Images)

superb works of art
master of photography
inspiring my soul

------------------------

Evan, thank you for sharing. I've been looking for inspiration and here it is, on many levels. I'm sure the prints will be outstanding!

Linda

Apr 21, 2010 at 08:55 PM
tmiller
• • • •
p.3 #14 · Black & White (89 Images)

I'm gonna say something no one has said here at least...

This better be at WPPI and win an award.... it's that great.

I'm honored to call you friend.

-Tim
Red Vine Studios

Apr 21, 2010 at 09:13 PM
Riccis

p.3 #15 · Black & White (89 Images)

This is top notch work. Thanks for sharing!

Riccis

Apr 21, 2010 at 09:26 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.3 #16 · Black & White (89 Images)

I wish I had the balls, skills and cash to do something like this.

I know for a fact the hand printed fibre based prints will be absolutely the moment of truth (a nod to ma man Guru RIP)

I know your buzzing right now... quite rightly so!

Well done, the Guinness is on you!

Apr 21, 2010 at 09:36 PM
gabemc
• • • •
p.3 #17 · Black & White (89 Images)

so they're good looking. huh

Evan..seriously...some of those images are what the term timeless really means.

#16 - wow. timeless
#18 - perfect. timeless
#50 - straight out of an ad. BEAUTIFUL. timeless
#77, 78, 78 & 80 - is one the most amazing sequences i have seen in sometime. a perfect capture of a wonderful moment. beautiful connection.

well done Evan.

Apr 21, 2010 at 09:37 PM
unblinkable
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · Black & White (89 Images)

I'm lovin' this for you. And I've already told you I think they're just lovely. Such a sweetness to them that we just don't see posted often.

The ONLY one that I would take out of the series is #5... the girl on the left looks VERY awkward. Unless there was something ACTUALLY, physically wrong with her, it's less than flattering. If there WAS a handicap of some sort, then it's perfect.

Apr 21, 2010 at 09:42 PM
unblinkable
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · Black & White (89 Images)

I suppose this means we'll see Sam's digital results sometime in 2011?

Apr 21, 2010 at 09:43 PM
tmiller
• • • •
p.3 #20 · Black & White (89 Images)

unblinkable wrote:
I suppose this means we'll see Sam's digital results sometime in 2011?

Hahah... I have a new quote tag. =oP

-Tim

Apr 21, 2010 at 09:45 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password