p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

+1

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:48 AM
richardj7

Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

a2rob wrote:
That ain't right

I am No. 56 for the first unit hopefully, I will receive that email this week...
Please tell, how do you know what number you are? How can I find out myself where I am in the line? Thanks.

Apr 18, 2010 at 09:10 AM
danielsan
• • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

Well you used to be able to call and ask but I guess once word got around you could call and ask they stopped giving out what your preorder # was. Too many people must have been calling and I am sure they have more important things to do.

The last update I saw from Paul Buff didn't sound too optimistic(from my viewpoint) in terms of how long until all preorders would be filled. Some small production errors popped up which had to be corrected and they are still testing each unit fairly extensively which is slowing things down as well so production is not ramping up that fast. That's good in the long term but in the short term it means additional delays for most of us. I initially figured they would fill all orders by end of May. I think they were shipping only about 15 units/day initially. Do the math. At this point, I'll be glad if I get mine by end of May and my order # was in the hundreds.

Please note that Paul did not give any timeline as to a production schedule in his last update and in fact specifically said he was not going to. The above guesstimates are mine alone.

richardj7 wrote:
Please tell, how do you know what number you are? How can I find out myself where I am in the line? Thanks.

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:34 PM
richardj7

p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

Thanks for the info. It would be nice to be able to profit from the canadian dollar strength while it lasts...

Apr 18, 2010 at 01:14 PM
Erie Patsellis
• •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

E-Vener wrote:
Ox goring is not a pretty sport. Broncolor makes very nice, very high end gear. It is at the peak of high end electronic flash gear, just like Profoto Pro 8, Briese and the very best of the Balcar, Elinchrom and Hensel lines.

The Zeus is a middle market system in terms of features and light quality. Also in that range are Dynalite, Profoto Acute 2, Speedotron Blackline, a lot of Hensel, Elinchrom, Comet, and Norman 900V systems. All of them are workhorses , and all of them have features the others lack and lack features the other ones have.

...Show more
I'm in the same camp with Ellis, my ancient Bron 304 packs and heads do what I need reliably in studio, so there's little reason for me to change what I use shooting tabletop. (Not to mention having been paid for many multiple times over).

For location work, however, I'm leaning towards Einsteins, the combination of ease of use, color temperature consistency and remoteability and size pretty much have sold me. Good thing I only shoot part time now, as by time I squirrel enough money away to buy a few, the pre-order should be filled, Even at the projected (slightly higher) price, they are definitely in the lead of the cost/benefit ratio.

Apr 18, 2010 at 02:15 PM
a2rob
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

danielsan wrote:
Well you used to be able to call and ask but I guess once word got around you could call and ask they stopped giving out what your preorder # was. Too many people must have been calling and I am sure they have more important things to do.

The last update I saw from Paul Buff didn't sound too optimistic(from my viewpoint) in terms of how long until all preorders would be filled. Some small production errors popped up which had to be corrected and they are still testing each unit fairly extensively which is slowing things down as well
...Show more

I received the Pre-order email last Wednesday, Turns out that I was not the number as stated above but lower and the unit should be in my hands early next week. I called to confirm and placed my order with the instructional email that was sent.
They, (PCB) have an elaborate ordering process for the Einstein.....

Apr 18, 2010 at 03:56 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

The reason your number was lower was that we sent out notices to all pre order customers that they could now convert their pre order into an actual order. Some have not responded and thus moved you up on the shipping list.

Apr 18, 2010 at 06:30 PM
JohnR84740
• •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

Sent to all pre-order customers? I don't recall getting that email

Apr 18, 2010 at 06:55 PM
derek walter
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

Me either, I know I'm down for three

Apr 18, 2010 at 07:08 PM
richardj7

p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

All pre-order customers? Hum...did not get my notice yet.

Apr 18, 2010 at 07:15 PM
Richard Ersted
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

Unfortunately, Paul, I didn't receive a notice either. I assume it will all be sorted out soon.

Richard

Apr 18, 2010 at 07:35 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

Have y'all checked your spam filters? Just a thought born from experience.

Apr 18, 2010 at 07:39 PM
richardj7

p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

I sure do each time.

Apr 18, 2010 at 07:59 PM
Neuffy
• •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

I can confirm that with a ABMax preorder of <75, I have not received an email.

PCB, did you mean to say that you sent emails out to all preorder customers that were able to convert their preorders to orders (eg, the first 25/50/etc), rather than simply to all preorder customers?

Apr 18, 2010 at 09:04 PM
RMS956

p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

I think PCB meant that all the re-orders that were ready to ship at that time, not all. I think you have 3 or 5 days to respond. So stay awake

RMS

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:20 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

I think this one falls on me for not clarifying with marketing to get the info absolutely straight. We are sending these emails in groups, in the order the pre orders were received and logged. See link below.

I am also responsible for the production start up being slower than was promised to me by production manager. I demanded we do more evolved testing, evaluation and burn in to make sure we perfect the process and weed out any potential field problems. In the process, we discovered one failure prone component and a couple of components that were not installed by the robotic house to my satisfaction. We also found the flashtube sockets needed to be drilled out very slightly to allow easy replacement of tubes in field, and that the reflector attachment needed some additional lubrication. These items are being hand corrected in our assembly line by hand and I am receiving daily performance statistics on each unit before it is shipped. I am happy to report that of the first group of 100 units only two units fell outside of my +/- 1/10f stop deviation in flash or modeling accuracy.

The second batch of 1000 sets of boards are due Monday and have had most necessary modifications performed by the board vendor and our production should begin to speed up considerably from this point. So I will take the blame for slowing the initial production ramp up, but also the credit for finding the little bugs that invariably pop up at this point in a new product, especially one this advanced. You don't want to hear some of the communications I have had with our production manager about scheduling and execution.

There . . . I've said more than some think I should. I apologize for the slight misstatement about communications regarding pre-order notices.

http://www.paulcbuff.com/einstein/preorder.html

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:30 PM
pcunite
• •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

Good work Paul, only an Alien Bee hater (company shills) could have a problem with this.

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:41 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

Only a manufacturer who enjoys pain would release and sell something before it's on the shelf.

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:15 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

I don't enjoy the pain one bit, but MLK done said the truth will set you free, as did my momma. As one of the few surviving and growing US manufacturers it's a pleasure to do what we do and not give into standard corporate BS methods. One thing I can say is that a manufacturer who puts tens or hundreds of thousands of something on the shelf before he starts selling them has a 90% chance of selling tens or hundreds of thousands of products and shutting up about the problems they didn't weed out - and you're stuck with it with nobody to call.

Apr 19, 2010 at 01:26 AM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Einstein 640 review, part 1

RMS956 wrote:
I think PCB meant that all the re-orders that were ready to ship at that time, not all. I think you have 3 or 5 days to respond. So stay awake

RMS

We are not so harsh that if someone doesn't get the notice for whatever reason that we just kick them off the list. That's not my style.

Apr 19, 2010 at 01:30 AM
1       2       3       4      
       6       7       8       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       8       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.