Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2010 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

E-Vener
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

More later. Unboxing now.

Apr 08, 2010 at 04:17 PM
Robert Way
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

Sweet! I may have to pick some up one of these days. Until then I plod along with my Bees.

Apr 08, 2010 at 04:19 PM
bacilonur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

Nooooooo, put it on ustream.tv!

Apr 08, 2010 at 04:20 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

First impressions:
1) the reflector/ modifier clamps are better than on my Zeus heads reflector held more securely in place.
2) the 2.49Ghz Cybersync CSXV transceiver is tiny (pix link later). When plugged all the Einstein defaults to letting cybersync system control functions. Unplug it and all functions look to be controlled by the function and adjust buttons (non-membrane type) on the head.
3) the back panel is very logically, simply laid out and marked.
4) with new 8.5HOR reflector it is very efficient. At 10 feet at full power, measured with Sekonic L-758dr meter set to ISO 100, on axis reading is consistently f/32 + 0.2
Baretube (no reflector) reading is a consistent f/11 + 0.9

5) at minimum power: bare tube reading is f/1.0 + .1, with 8.5HOR, f/2.0 + 0.2

* note on readings, this are with my meter, it is factory calibrated, the readings I am reporting may not match your meter or camera.

6) The entire Einstein looks professional enough that I can't see anyone questioning your professional qualifications based on the looks of your euipment.

I'll do more thourough testing later. These are just my initial impressions

Edited on Apr 08, 2010 at 05:11 PM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2010 at 04:49 PM
bacilonur
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

Ellis, with the CSXCV plugged in and control engaged with the CC, can you still adjust the output easily with the up and down buttons? And does it then update the CC?

Apr 08, 2010 at 05:02 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

E-Vener wrote:
First impressions:
1) the reflector/ modifier clamps are better than on my Zeus heads reflector held more securely in place.
2) the 2.49Ghz Cybersync CSXV transceiver is tiny (pix link later). When plugged all the Einstein defaults to letting cybersync system control functions. Unplug it and all functions look to be controlled by the function and adjust buttons (non-membrane type) on the head.
3) the back panel is very logically, simply laid out and marked.
4) with new 8.5HOR reflector it is very efficient. At 10 feet at full power, measured with Sekonic L-758dr meter set to ISO 100, on axis reading is consistently
...Show more

Ellis, you can plug in the transceiver with no effect on manual setting of the light - it adjusts the same as without the transceiver. For basic use without CC, just adjust the power manually at the Einstein, put a CST on your camera and fire away. Repeat: The transceiver does not take over the Einstein.

If you setup an Einstein system manually, then add Cyber Commander, doing "Open Studio" on CC will find all the lights and their settings and pick up all control from the CC. You can still go directly to the Einstein and adjust manually if you like.

Manual adjustments are not automatically sent to CC . . . this would require CC to be receiving all the time and the battery life would go way down. If you adjust lights manually with CC connected, doing Open Studio on CC will retrieve all the manual settings and display them on CC..

Apr 08, 2010 at 06:11 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

Thanks Paul,

I thought was the case. I'm behind on updating the firmware on my CyberCommanders.

Hope you are feeling better and are over the flu.

Apr 08, 2010 at 06:15 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

bacilonur wrote:
Nooooooo, put it on ustream.tv!

. I can see the headlines now..."unboxing video of Einstein surpasses iPad unboxing video popularity!"

Ellis: if you get the chance, hang on the biggest modifier you have (maybe an El-Octa w/ Kacey's mods to adapt it for AB if you have it) in an angled overhead position to see how strong the modifier fingers are...

Apr 08, 2010 at 06:25 PM
bacilonur
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

The EL Octa supports its weight through the mount, not the light. The light just holds itself up, which isn't much torque.

http://i42./2agssax.jpg

Apr 08, 2010 at 06:27 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

E-Vener wrote:
Thanks Paul,

I thought was the case. I'm behind on updating the firmware on my CyberCommanders.

Hope you are feeling better and are over the flu.

Deb and I and most of our staff had had the flu two or three times this winter. Feeling OK now, but exhausted from work.

Apr 08, 2010 at 06:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

E-Vener
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

Biggest non PLM I own is the big Chimera but regardless of the brand of light I'm using with that large of softbox (54x72 inch) I use Chimera C-stand grip head adapter to let the speedring support the weight of the head and the mass of the softbox. Why put unnecessary strain on the head's stand mount as they aren't really designed for that kind of torque? This is true regardless of whether you use Profoto, Elinchrom, Hensel, Speedotron Blackline, Dynalite,or Paul C. Buff lights.

Will they hold it? Sure. Is it a smart idea to use a flash head's stand attachment as a highly levered fulcrum? No.

Edited on Apr 08, 2010 at 07:16 PM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2010 at 06:46 PM
flash69

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

Ok is it just me or is it wrong that someone has had an Einstein for hours and not posted pics?

Apr 08, 2010 at 06:51 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

What? You want me to prove I actually have one? I actually have a business and a life to attend to. Posting quick snapshots wouldn't prove anything beyond mere possesion.

Apr 08, 2010 at 07:15 PM
flash69

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

Oh no, I don't need proof. I just want to see how lucky you are to get the first one.... Yes I am jealous.

Apr 08, 2010 at 07:24 PM
bacilonur
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

Tough crowd. Don't take it personally, E. This has probably been the most hyped (not necessarily by Paul, but by photographers wanting a miracle light for under 5 bones) flash release in the last few years. Most products are announced and then become available within a few months, but 2 years have gone by with no third party reviews or product shots, so everyone's desperate for something, anything, to know that it's real.

Apr 08, 2010 at 07:32 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

Where sheer power used to be the name of the game, the Einstein changes the game to one of finesse, and a reasonable amount of power at a reasonable price.

If you can't be bothered to learn how to use and when it suits your purpose for a specific look, break the rules of lighting, the Einstein isn't a miracle tool. You still need to put in the sweat equity

Apr 08, 2010 at 07:48 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

this is what iPhones, twitter and twitpic are for! who's going to post the first picture of an Einstein "in the wild" ?!?

Apr 08, 2010 at 07:48 PM
CGP4
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

E-Vener wrote:
I'll do more thourough testing later. These are just my initial impressions

When you get around to it, I'd love to know how far the diffusion dome projects past a mounted speed ring and your impression of the light spread/distribution in a lightbank.

Thanks!

Apr 08, 2010 at 08:10 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

About maybe a half inch or less with a Chimera speedring with balcar/PCB insert.

Apr 08, 2010 at 08:13 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Houston, The Einstein has landed

Pic is up on my facebook page.

Apr 08, 2010 at 08:23 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password