Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2010 · 5D2 FW 2.0.4 - Iris jitter in M movie mode

Pablov

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 5D2 FW 2.0.4 - Iris jitter in M movie mode

Nill Toulme wrote:
Auto Lighting Optimizer. It plays sneaky tricks with your exposure -- I think maybe even in M mode, but I'm not sure about that. On the Mark IV it's enabled by default (which I find surprising).

Nill

Thanks Nill. Didn't figure it was that

I turned Auto Lighting Optimizer OFF since the beginning (like every Noise Reduction setting, Peripheral Illumination Correction and "auto everything"), to be sure they weren't affecting any test result.

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:13 AM
Pablov

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 5D2 FW 2.0.4 - Iris jitter in M movie mode

Due request of some people, I'm making a list of lenses affected and NOT affected by the IRIS jitter issue on the 5D Mark II with Firmware 2.0.4

If someone can do test to report, that would help a lot.

Please keep in mind to be precise and give full details of your lenses (Canon and/or 3rd party ones).

If theres is any doubt, please double check the lens and camera, or repeat the test.

Thanks a lot in advance for all your help.

Apr 22, 2010 at 07:55 AM
Pablov

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 5D2 FW 2.0.4 - Iris jitter in M movie mode

This doesn't look good:

http://5dmark2.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/is-canon-aware-or-not/

My report to Canon USA (3 weeks ago) didn't get any answer. I guess it's time to send it again.

Apr 27, 2010 at 04:54 AM
Pablov

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 5D2 FW 2.0.4 - Iris jitter in M movie mode

A LIST OF LENSES affected and not affected was posted here:

http://5dmark2.wordpress.com/2010/05/03/list-of-lenses-affected/

Hope Canon fix it in near future. I need my 100mm Macro lens for filmmaking

May 03, 2010 at 05:49 PM
Pablov

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 5D2 FW 2.0.4 - Iris jitter in M movie mode

hmmm, interesting.

Someone also had iris issue with a 24-105 f4L. (read post above, and comment on it)

Although it's not exactly like the iris jitter we suffer with the 100mm Macro (or other lenses), but still an IRIS issue.

It would be great to know if other users experience similar iris problems with other lenses. In such case, please let the 5D Mark II Team know, specifying full details and how to reproduce the problem)

May 04, 2010 at 02:32 AM
Pablov

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 5D2 FW 2.0.4 - Iris jitter in M movie mode

The List of Lenses was UPDATED (and some comments added), thanks to user's feedbacks.

It seems the issue might happen to other lenses too, but in a much more "random" manner, very difficult to reproduce in some cases.

Canon USA is still telling they have "no official" information about this problem, so it's good that every user experiencing this issue report it to Canon. It takes only few minutes. Full contact details are at the blog home page.

We will get this fixed.

May 06, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 5D2 FW 2.0.4 - Iris jitter in M movie mode

Pablov wrote:
[...

It seems almost (if not all) Macro lenses are affected by this "iris jitter" issue.

I use a Sigma 105mm macro on my 5d2, but I've no interest in testing for this problem since I rarely shoot video and this sounds like a rather obscure problem, kind of like the old "oh so horrible black dot" issue.

May 07, 2010 at 12:26 AM
ChristosJaie

Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 5D2 FW 2.0.4 - Iris jitter in M movie mode

FWIW, I have a 5D2 (FW 2.0.4) and tested all my lenses with the same manual settings as the OP and the following two jitter:
Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro (Non-USM)
Tamron SP AF17-35mm 2.8-4*

*With the Tammy, I hear a non-stop jittering as I turn the zoom ring. Sounds like the 'interference' noise from a speaker if a cell phone's nearby ..only not as loud. There's no jitter when I turn the focus ring.

$0.02...jc

May 08, 2010 at 10:56 PM
Pablov

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 5D2 FW 2.0.4 - Iris jitter in M movie mode

michael49 wrote:
I use a Sigma 105mm macro on my 5d2, but I've no interest in testing for this problem since I rarely shoot video and this sounds like a rather obscure problem, kind of like the old "oh so horrible black dot" issue.

Well, I do record video and I can tell the iris jitter on the 100mm 2.8 Macro is SO easy to reproduce that -sadly- you cannot use it for video purpose if you need to change focus while recording. So I don't think "oh so horrible..."
It IS a real bug and a real problem for those who want to use this or other lenses on video.

Some people may not need a fix because they don't use Movie/Video functions, but others do need it indeed.

I have heard some stills shooters having problems with 3rd party lenses, hearing weird noises that there were never before 2.0.4. I can't confirm that, but even if that is not accurate, it's clear there is a bug related to the iris control / camera-lens communication that needs a fix, and will be fixed (with the help of the users reports/feedbacks/requests to Canon)

May 09, 2010 at 02:04 AM
Pablov

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 5D2 FW 2.0.4 - Iris jitter in M movie mode

GOOD NEWS:

A new firmware update was released to fix this (and 2 more) issue(s):

Firmware 2.0.7 Released

Cool.

Thanks to everyone helping on this matter!

May 25, 2010 at 08:46 AM
Pablov

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 5D2 FW 2.0.4 - Iris jitter in M movie mode

Can someone confirm the problem with the Canon EF 24-105 F/4L IS that a reader has commented at:

Firmware 2.0.7 Released

That looks like an aperture inconsistency.

May 25, 2010 at 04:46 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password