Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              7       8       end

Archive 2010 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

rtallent
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Thanks, mh2000! Hopefully a few more soon. Just returned from a short trip to a place that has flowers out so when I get a little time I'll process and post.

Bob

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:13 AM
Mike Ganz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

I sent the folks at Mirex an email requesting a price quote and ordering info for the Mamiya/EOS T/S adapter, but also considering the Mark II version the Canon 24mm T/S. Other than the ability to use multiple lenses on the Mirex, and the large cost difference between it and the Canon lens, are there any other pros/cons to using something like the Mirex versus the Canon lens?

I was considering buying the Canon lens a few more months down the road, but the Mirex has piqued my curiosity. Pretty much the only reason that I'm considering the Canon now is I fear that our "leaders" will soon slap us with a Euro-style VAT which will most definitely place this lens on the "forget" list.

Apr 25, 2010 at 02:56 PM
erichard
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

One thing to ponder, considering this forum is such a fan of the Zeiss look, is that you can use the Mirex for Hasselblad Zeiss lenses. Zeiss and Canon have a different look, and that is worth consideration. The Hasselblad apparently has a bigger image circle than the Mamiya, and that is another factor to consider for tilt and shift, although there are some very strong proponents of Mamiya on the forum as well. The only thing about Hasselblad is that the widest lens available is the 40mm I believe, but that happens to be a very good lens and a good focal length for panoramic stitches in my view. 40mm is a lot different that 17 or even 24, though.

Apr 25, 2010 at 03:25 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Mike Ganz wrote:
I sent the folks at Mirex an email requesting a price quote and ordering info for the Mamiya/EOS T/S adapter, but also considering the Mark II version the Canon 24mm T/S. Other than the ability to use multiple lenses on the Mirex, and the large cost difference between it and the Canon lens, are there any other pros/cons to using something like the Mirex versus the Canon lens?

I was considering buying the Canon lens a few more months down the road, but the Mirex has piqued my curiosity. Pretty much the only reason that I'm considering the Canon now
...Show more

What is the widest MF lens you can find? 35mm? 30mm? I haven't looked that hard but if you need a 24mm TS and you can afford the Canon it seems like an easy choice to me. The optics of the Canon should outshine most, if not all of the competition from a technical standpoint, but as said above if there is a certain look you're after...

Apr 26, 2010 at 02:56 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Mike Ganz wrote:

I was considering buying the Canon lens a few more months down the road, but the Mirex has piqued my curiosity. Pretty much the only reason that I'm considering the Canon now
...Show more

The Mirex/Mamiya route has two disadvantages.

1. The widest rectilinear lens you can use is the 35/3.5. Fabulous lens but may not wide enough. I have a 7D and it's a real PITA. You have a 5D2 so it's much less of an issue. There's also the 24/4 but it's a fisheye lens and trying to straighten the verticals if you shift it may be a challenge (don't know from personal experience).

2. The axis are 90 degrees from each other. That means that if you want to shift and tilt in the same direction you can't do that. Only the 17/4 TS and 24/3.5 TS II can do that. However, with 35mm lenses and up, I haven't found it to be an issue.

So, as I see it, the main issue is FL. If you can live with 35mm limitation, the Mirex/Mamiya route is a no brainer. It is well made, the Mamiya lenses have superb IQ and BQ and the whole pack would cost you a lot less. If you can't, the two aforementioned Canon lenses are your only choices.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 26, 2010 at 04:36 AM
rtallent
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Still very few flowers around here to speak of, but I traveled a few hours south and found some of the tulips so many of have been posting pictures of for weeks . I am only posting one but am providing a link to several others so as not to take up too much space. All the tulip pictures but the first three in the link (the last three taken), and the one below, are with the TS-E 90.

http://www.pbase.com/rtallent/image/123951033/original.jpg

more tuips

Apr 26, 2010 at 10:51 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Ok... got my lens today. The Mir-26B 3.5/45
Here are a few test shots with it on the Arax Tilt adapter and 5D.

Mir-26B @ 5.6, 8* tilt
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4567122880_602321ca5f_o.jpg

I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this lens! Here's the thing though... I bought one with the wrong mount! D'oh! I must have gotten my listings mixed up on eBay and purchased one with a Kiev-88 mount... so in all of the above shots it's taped into my adapter with electrical tape! So what to do now?!?

Edited on May 01, 2010 at 02:07 AM · View previous versions

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:59 PM
Khun Hans
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Sorry, but I don't understand what these pictures should show us, Jacob. No offense
Hans

May 01, 2010 at 01:42 AM
Jacob D
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Sorry... I was just posting a few test shots. These were literally the first shots with the lens so I was a little over excited I was just trying to keep some of the foreground and the chair in focus. I removed all but one of the photos to eliminate any future confusion.

May 01, 2010 at 02:06 AM
Luvwine
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

With the Zeiss 35mm 2.8 PC (now sold, sigh).

http://i.pbase.com/g5/91/505291/2/100139023.pKRjmIGg.jpg

May 01, 2010 at 05:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mirkoc
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Jacob D wrote:
Sorry... I was just posting a few test shots. These were literally the first shots with the lens so I was a little over excited I was just trying to keep some of the foreground and the chair in focus. I removed all but one of the photos to eliminate any future confusion.

There is no need to apologize. You are free to post your examples and share your excitement with us. Post some more!

May 01, 2010 at 01:04 PM
pengland
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

FD TS 35mm f2.8 SSC converted to EOS by me last week:

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8937/img2002001.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9181/img2005001.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3894/img2040001.jpg

Edited on May 02, 2010 at 12:55 PM · View previous versions

May 02, 2010 at 01:29 AM
Empire
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Man I've wanted one of those forever!

May 02, 2010 at 02:25 AM
aoluain
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

mcbroomf wrote:
Hi Alan, nice photos and website. You have some great images.

How do you like the Pentax 645 33-55? I'm shooting the 35 FA and I've wondered about the zoom.

thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

I really love this lens, I wanted to get the FA 35 but there was none available
for a long time so I bit the bullet and went for the 33-55. I use it mainly for shooting interiors with the zoerk and although I have read reports about the distortion I find it its kept level there are no issues. its slow @ f4.5 so focusing in very low light can be a bit of trial and error but of course for interiors this wouldnt be an issue . . . most of the time !

Its a big lens for a small focal length, takes 82mm filters and is mostly made of plastic. Its nice to have the Zoom from 33-55 which takes in 3 of the focal lengths,
33, 45 and 55mm. I use it mostly @ f8, f11 and f16 and its certainly a sharp performer.

With the Zoerk PSA I use no more than about 15mm of shift up and 15mm down with slight abberations visible past 15mm towards 20mm is really not usable.

dont know what other info you want?

Alan

May 04, 2010 at 08:45 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Great summary Alan,

Thanks

Mike

May 04, 2010 at 09:15 AM
prashant
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

pengland wrote:
FD TS 35mm f2.8 SSC converted to EOS by me last week:

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8937/img2002001.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9181/img2005001.jpg

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3894/img2040001.jpg

Wonderful examples. Do you have any where the background is also sharp?

May 04, 2010 at 03:38 PM
pengland
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

prashant wrote:
Wonderful examples. Do you have any where the background is also sharp?

I am looking forward to taking exactly that type of shot. That's what I bought this lens for. These are just a few quick "first use" shots. I have not had an opportunity to try anything else as time/weather has not permitted me to do it. I will post some once I have some decent ones.

May 04, 2010 at 03:47 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Here's a little family photo journalism with the tilt...

45mm f3.5, 8 tilt
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4572487301_23d8236584_o.jpg

May 04, 2010 at 04:59 PM
Oasisbill
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

http://oasisbill.zenfolio.com/img/v10/p326117921-5.jpg

D700, Arax 80mm T/S

May 05, 2010 at 02:52 AM
maxima302
• • •