Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              7       8       end

Archive 2010 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Jacob D
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

I have a Mir-26B 45mm and a Arax tilt adapter on the way. I'm anxiously awaiting both pieces so I can finally get my feet wet with some selective focus photography on my 5D. I'll be sure to update with some pics once everything arrives which is going to be at least another week I'm sure...

edit: I thought I would add, this "kit" only cost $270 delivered. I really wanted to go the Mamiya / Mirex route but found the cost savings to be hard to resist for this entry level setup.

Apr 09, 2010 at 03:14 PM
Khun Hans
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

How you got that price? Adapter85 + Lens245USD= USD330!!

Apr 10, 2010 at 01:28 AM
Jacob D
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

The adapter was $125 new, the lens was $95 used on eBay (I made an offer below their asking price and they accepted it). With shipping costs it adds up to $270

Apr 10, 2010 at 03:34 AM
mirkoc
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

http://i038.radikal.ru/1004/f5/e3fce3256f9c.jpg
I was trying to get both the couple and the roof in focus but there was not enough tilt available.

I looks to me that you tilted too much for the desired effect. Am I wrong?

Apr 10, 2010 at 01:55 PM
Drew_Persson
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

mirkoc wrote:
I looks to me that you tilted too much for the desired effect. Am I wrong?

Too much swing?

Edited on Apr 11, 2010 at 03:49 PM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2010 at 04:48 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Unless you were trying for a different effect you tilted with the lens in the wrong orientation. You tilted horizontally right? I think you should have treated the couple as the foreground and the roof as the background and just tilted vertically.

You may still have not had enough tilt but the photo wouldn't have looked so odd...(again, unless that's what you wanted )

Mike

Apr 10, 2010 at 06:18 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Jacob D wrote:
The adapter was $125 new, the lens was $95 used on eBay (I made an offer below their asking price and they accepted it). With shipping costs it adds up to $270

If I only knew that when I purchased my Mirex.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 11, 2010 at 08:37 AM
Jacob D
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Yakim,

Come on now, you can tilt AND shift and have quite an arsenal of lenses to choose from... hardly any reason to be upset

Apr 11, 2010 at 06:32 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Yeah, but I mostly tilt and that arsenal of lenses is costly.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Apr 12, 2010 at 07:13 AM
aoluain
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

5D + Pentax 645 33-55 + Zoerk PSA

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Oasisbill
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

rtallent wrote:
I'm really glad to see this thread! The TS-E 90 is one of my most used lenses for general purpose photography, not just tilt/shift stuff. Whenever I use it I always feels like I'm using an alt lens, due to the manual focus and character of the lens and wish I could post here. Thanks

Here are a few recent ones, all 5DMkII:

http://www.pbase.com/rtallent/image/121729656/original.jpg
(some tilt)

Old Campag stuff makes my heart flutter....

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:20 AM
Ataboy
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

mcbroomf wrote:
Unless you were trying for a different effect you tilted with the lens in the wrong orientation. You tilted horizontally right? I think you should have treated the couple as the foreground and the roof as the background and just tilted vertically.

You may still have not had enough tilt but the photo wouldn't have looked so odd...(again, unless that's what you wanted )

Mike

This adapter allows tilting in any direction, so I did it roughly at 45 degrees.

Apr 13, 2010 at 02:18 PM
ht1948
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Guys, I'm a total noob when it comes to TS so bear with me. I saw that Arax and Hartblei both make tilt adapter for native Nikon and Canon mount lenses. Why don't we go that route? I understand that you can only get the tilt effect in this case.

Apr 13, 2010 at 03:07 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

ht1948 wrote:
Guys, I'm a total noob when it comes to TS so bear with me. I saw that Arax and Hartblei both make tilt adapter for native Nikon and Canon mount lenses. Why don't we go that route? I understand that you can only get the tilt effect in this case.

I wonder how those will work due to the smaller image circle of the 35mm lens? Also worth noting is that those adapters all carry the "macro" designation.

Apr 13, 2010 at 04:17 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

aoluain wrote:
5D + Pentax 645 33-55 + Zoerk PSA

Hi Alan, nice photos and website. You have some great images.

How do you like the Pentax 645 33-55? I'm shooting the 35 FA and I've wondered about the zoom.

thanks

Mike

Apr 13, 2010 at 07:31 PM
ryanpfleger
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Some beautiful examples. Prashant, I loved them all! Mind sharing some of the locations? Specifically, the first forest with those brilliant greens, and the lake? Mcbroom, I loved the sand ripples with the grass in the mid-ground, and the cemetery was great. Very moody. Liked the first Campy shot too. Making me drool. Somewhere out there is a guy driving a brown truck bringing my new 5D2 closer and closer every day. When it gets here it's going to be married to the 90mm TS-E for at least a couple weeks, especially if I can get some free time on my hands! I need to look into something wider as well.

Apr 13, 2010 at 08:40 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

Oasisbill, then you will want to stay well clear of 60s and 70s sand-casted Ducati/ Guzzi/ Morini engine parts..and a thank you for the photos in this thread to all.

Apr 14, 2010 at 07:07 AM
rtallent
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

No shift in any of this but tilt in most; all TS-E 90 (on tubes):

(seems to be something wrong with pBase, can't get two of them to display in proper size - follow the links to pBase for original sizes)

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:20 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

I'm still waiting on my lens to show up, but I received my Arax P-6 to EF adapter and the build quality seems very decent. I read about the issues with the stops not being properly aligned as well as the shiny reflective screws on the inner diameter.

Mine doesn't appear to have the issue with the stops. When mounted to my camera it has a stop at 12 o'clock, then 2 or 3 (I don't recall) stops between each 90 degree increment. If the stops are misaligned it is not enough to be able to tell with a basic visual inspection.

The screws on the inside don't have a shiny metallic finish, but not exactly matte black either. A Sharpie should easily fix this.

It arrived relatively quickly. I used the $15 shipping option (there is no indication on the website which option should be used) and this may have had to do with the way it was packaged but I don't know. It was sent in a very thinly padded envelope.. luckily no damage. Can't wait for my lens now! I'll be sure to post some photos once everything is in hand.

Apr 22, 2010 at 09:52 PM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Alternative Tilt & Shift Thread

rtallent,

Very nice examples showing why the TS-E 90 is my favorite Canon lens... followed by the TS-E 45.

Really love the glow in this one!

Beautifully rendered!:

Apr 23, 2010 at 10:30 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password