1       2       3              7      
       9              19       20       end

Archive 2010 · Einstein questions answered

Paul Buff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Einstein questions answered

E-Vener wrote:
Max temp is gonna vary depending on how you are modifying the light. A reflector with a grid on it is a major heat sink for example no matter how good the cooling fan and airflow.

The lamp itself is in the 600F range. As Ellis says, the dome temps and reflector temps are dependent on configuration. I suspect Velcro dots would soften and creep in many applications other than on larger reflectors.

The color changing dome is a nice idea, but producing, stocking and selling such a low volume item is a big problem. Yes, we could sell them for $20 or so . . . but only if there were a high demand, which I don't believe there is

Apr 15, 2010 at 03:17 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Einstein questions answered

I would gladly pay $40-50 for a 1/1 CTO or CTS dome...

Apr 15, 2010 at 03:30 PM
Jeremy Reitman
• • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Einstein questions answered

how about a gel holder that mounts inside a softbox...that'd do it for me, especially it were something I could use with my existing B800s

Apr 16, 2010 at 08:59 AM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Einstein questions answered

Jeremy Reitman wrote:
how about a gel holder that mounts inside a softbox...that'd do it for me, especially it were something I could use with my existing B800s

DIY tip: Try a hole punch and paper clips. and connect to internal baffle

Apr 16, 2010 at 12:09 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Einstein questions answered

Same here. Even $75-100.

brett maxwell wrote:
I would gladly pay $40-50 for a 1/1 CTO or CTS dome...

Apr 16, 2010 at 01:00 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Einstein questions answered

Tell me what color temperature you are looking for and I'll investigate. I have coated a couple of samples down to about 5200°. Don't know if the tube manufacturer who does this can make them bluer or not, but can find out. The big issue is how many can I sell. If I ask for 100 pieces from the vendor the cost will be a whole lot higher than if I ask for 1000.

We're probably talking more like $20 if quantity makes this feasible. I operate on the Laffer Curve rather than "whatever the market will bear."

Apr 16, 2010 at 01:32 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Einstein questions answered

E-Vener wrote:
DIY tip: Try a hole punch and paper clips. and connect to internal baffle

Gaffer tape works for me as long as you don't fire up the modeling light all the time...
If you do use the modeling light all the time, wooden clothes pins or those black paper clip replacements...

Doesn't seem to work as well when using a BD though..

Apr 16, 2010 at 01:57 PM
CGP4
• •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Einstein questions answered

Paul sure is keeping busy!

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10050-10630

Apr 16, 2010 at 03:44 PM
bkfink

p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Einstein questions answered

Paul Buff wrote:
Tell me what color temperature you are looking for and I'll investigate. I have coated a couple of samples down to about 5200°. Don't know if the tube manufacturer who does this can make them bluer or not, but can find out. The big issue is how many can I sell. If I ask for 100 pieces from the vendor the cost will be a whole lot higher than if I ask for 1000.

We're probably talking more like $20 if quantity makes this feasible. I operate on the Laffer Curve rather than "whatever the market will bear."

I would be interested in a 1/2 or whole cut CTO. At around $20 I would just get one of each, but if only one were offered, the 1/2 cut would work most of the time.

Brian

Apr 16, 2010 at 03:59 PM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Einstein questions answered

CGP4 wrote:
Paul sure is keeping busy!

I've got one on order, I told Paul it looks like something from Science Fiction Theater: http://home.earthlink.net/~joesarno/tvscifi/sciencetheater.htm

Apr 16, 2010 at 04:00 PM
munzzzzzzz

p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Einstein questions answered

Very cool. Here is an idea for Paul to put together:

Make a mounting bracket that mounts on a monopod and holds both a light (should be an Einstein with the new reflector, of course) and a camera right along side it. You would obviously want the light balanced on the pod for weight. This way, with a little calibration, sports shooters can be guaranteed that the light is pointing at whatever they're shooting. Sure, it would be a little clunky, but I can picture guys standing on the sidelines of an NFL game with them already.

If the idea takes off, I'll take a few PCB products as commission for the idea.

Unless, of course, this already exists... in which case this may be the ideal reflector for it.

Edited on Apr 16, 2010 at 05:18 PM · View previous versions

Apr 16, 2010 at 05:08 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Einstein questions answered

E-Vener wrote:

I've got one on order, ...

Must be great to be a personal friend of Paul C. Buff

I just got off the phone and was told NO PRE-ORDERS YET

BTW if anyone wants to use these with Profoto heads, I'm having speedrings made to use the PCB cage. If interested in a Profoto speedring E-Mail me, no PMs pleases, and I'll have one made for you.

Apr 16, 2010 at 05:12 PM
tetrode
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Einstein questions answered

E-Vener wrote:
I've got one on order, I told Paul it looks like something from Science Fiction Theater: http://home.earthlink.net/~joesarno/tvscifi/sciencetheater.htm

So are these gizmos available for pre-order? I don't see any mention of them on the PCB site.

And, while we're on the subject, how would the retro-reflector's mount be used in conjunction with a PLM (as stated it would be by RG)? I'm *really* curious.

Dave F.

Apr 16, 2010 at 05:44 PM
derek walter
• •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Einstein questions answered

Read the post above yours

Apr 16, 2010 at 05:57 PM
tetrode
• • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Einstein questions answered

derek walter wrote:
Read the post above yours

I swear that post wasn't there when I hit <enter>. It's all a plot to discredit me

Dave F.

Apr 16, 2010 at 06:02 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Einstein questions answered

tetrode wrote:
And, while we're on the subject, how would the retro-reflector's mount be used in conjunction with a PLM (as stated it would be by RG)? I'm *really* curious.

Dave F.

This was mentioned a few weeks ago by PCB. This is the same way Profoto has been doing for many years. The shaft on the speedring/cage will mount to the PLM shaft of the new PCB PLM V2.

Here's a photo of a Profoto 150 Giant Reflector using the on-axis mount. http://www.profoto.com/products/profoto/lightshapingtools/giant-reflectors/giant-white-150

Here's a photo of the Bron Mini Satellite www.bron.ch/_data/bc_pd_ps_minisatelite_big.jpg which seems to be the inspiration for the new PCB Retro Laser. Thanks, Paul C. Buff, for making this in an affordable version

Apr 16, 2010 at 06:21 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Einstein questions answered

Retro Laser is fully developed and is being manufactured now. The reason it is not yet on our website is that Rob Galbraith is a pesky but superb journalist who asked me to give him an exclusive first story on the product.

These should be received here in the next 1 - 3 weeks . . . I don't have the exact shipping date as I work at home. There will be no pre orders for these because there is no anticipated shortage of supply. It should be up on our website for order next week.

A note on the name "Retro Laser" The term retro doesn't refer to "the past" . . . it refers loosely to the physics of a "retro-reflector" (IE road signs) that return light to its source. In this case, it returns the light around the perimeter of the source and onto the subject. This results in an efficacy of about 95% in transferring light from the source to the illuminated area, and also eliminate the spill light outside the desired pattern. Typical back loaded reflectors can only achieve about 65% efficacy unless they are extremely deep - IE "Elliptical Reflectors used for stage lighting.

Apr 16, 2010 at 06:42 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Einstein questions answered

c.d.embrey wrote:
Must be great to be a personal friend of Paul C. Buff

I just got off the phone and was told NO PRE-ORDERS YET

BTW if anyone wants to use these with Profoto heads, I'm having speedrings made to use the PCB cage. If interested in a Profoto speedring E-Mail me, no PMs pleases, and I'll have one made for you.

I have never actually met Ellis Vener or Rob Galbreath . . . they are both professional journalists who request evaluation information and samples of products from all manufacturers routinely, and who are bound by journalistic rules of ethics to report what they find - the good, the bad and the ugly. In this example, Rob has not actually received the Retro Laser . . . I have the only one at this point and provided the pictures at his request. The shots of my wife Deborah and of the Retro Laser were done very quickly and are unmanipulated and shot at 5600°K with Nikon DD300, Einstein 640 and Tamron zoom lens, so please the lack of perfection.

Apr 16, 2010 at 06:55 PM
tetrode
• • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Einstein questions answered

c.d.embrey wrote:
This was mentioned a few weeks ago by PCB. This is the same way Profoto has been doing for many years. The shaft on the speedring/cage will mount to the PLM shaft of the new PCB PLM V2.

Here's a photo of a Profoto 150 Giant Reflector using the on-axis mount. http://www.profoto.com/products/profoto/lightshapingtools/giant-reflectors/giant-white-150

Here's a photo of the Bron Mini Satellite www.bron.ch/_data/bc_pd_ps_minisatelite_big.jpg which seems to be the inspiration for the new PCB Retro Laser. Thanks, Paul C. Buff, for making this in an affordable version

I don't think that's correct. Yes, the PLM will have to attach to the shaft of the new mount but the question remains, how? I would direct your attention to this post by PCB on his tech forum in response to my question regarding the PLM V2 and the Elinchrom adapter:

http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=335&p=2095#p2090

You'll note that he states the shaft of the V2 PLM will be long enough to extend out the back of an Elinchrom light's umbrella mounting tube. If it's long enough to extend out the back of the Elinchrom, one would think it's too long to attach to the front of the Retro-Laser reflectors on-axis mount. Maybe the PLM V2's shaft is collapsible or segmented (like a Photek Softlighter's shaft) but then that's really my question. How?

Dave F.

Apr 16, 2010 at 07:00 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Einstein questions answered

c.d.embrey wrote:

I was not aware of the Profoto product mentioned - thus was not inspired by it. Not a big deal . . . parallel thought . . . not uncommon. If I can get spiritual for a second, thought travels between people, often unknowingly, via the mechanism theologians have tried for ages to name and identify . . . transcendental communications. Was Profoto inspired by dental and operating room lights and satellite dishes that long proceeded their products and mine?

Apr 16, 2010 at 07:06 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.