Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              19       20       end

Archive 2010 · Einstein questions answered

kenyee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · Einstein questions answered

photomarvin: were you comparing at the same power levels? Below 1/8 power, the AB become less consistent...

Apr 01, 2010 at 07:43 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #2 · Einstein questions answered

photomarvin wrote:
Paul - I would prefer to form my opinion from my own experience not that of others. I can tell you that my Profoto Compact perform better in every possible way to the ABs we use at the studio. Especially when looking at color shift. YMMV

Also I don't see ABs listed in that review...or am I missing something?

If you prefer the Profotos you should use them. Regarding AB and WL, my post stated they follow the same curve. I do a lot of testing of this myself and the link is totally independent - I don't know the poster. Measure you Profoto at full and the AB at Full, then drop them both to 1/16 (as for as Profoto goes), and measure. You'll see the same shift of about -300 to 350K. Do the same with Einstein and you'll see no color shift.

I'm not here to convince anyone to buy a particular brand, just debunking wrong info.

Apr 01, 2010 at 07:55 PM
photomarvin
• • •
p.5 #3 · Einstein questions answered

Paul I do prefer them and do use them most of the time now. I would love to do the same with an Einstein but to my knowledge those are still unavailable, correct? If and when those are available I would love to try them out.

Apr 01, 2010 at 07:59 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.5 #4 · Einstein questions answered

The first Einstein shipments are going out Monday. With some 3400 per orders it will take some time to ramp up production and shipping to reach ship-from-stock status. I have worked 14 hours per day, including every holiday for the past year to get Einstein and several other products right and available.

Apr 01, 2010 at 10:14 PM
RMS956

p.5 #5 · Einstein questions answered

Great news Paul. All the hard work and long hours will pay off in amounts that can be counted with more than just dollars. Looking forward to the new Einsteins.

Paul, will the Einstein's "pre-order" status expire on Monday? Or will it continue until Einstein reaches the "ship-from-stock" status?

RMS

Apr 01, 2010 at 11:14 PM
maczilla
• •
p.5 #6 · Einstein questions answered

Paul Buff wrote:
The first Einstein shipments are going out Monday.

Dear Paul & Friends

This is great news! I know you've been working hard.

Once the Einstein ramp-up is in full swing, how about developing a child-wrangling device?

My nineteen-month-old son won't be still. When we try to force him to sit still for a picture, his disposition goes south.

Your X1600s and a B800 lit these images from the past few days:

--Jaddie

Apr 02, 2010 at 01:19 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.5 #7 · Einstein questions answered

photomarvin wrote:
Paul - I would prefer to form my opinion from my own experience not that of others. I can tell you that my Profoto Compact perform better in every possible way to the ABs we use at the studio. Especially when looking at color shift. YMMV

Also I don't see ABs listed in that review...or am I missing something?

Alienbees were my first lights, so I was more concern about shooting then testing, and they worked great, no problems with them. I now have a mix of profoto and elinchrom (depending on where I'm shooting, I'll use one or the other, though I've had many problems with profoto, and I think I will switch to all Einsteins for a while to see how that works for me). The elinchrom mount is hopeless, so I'm giving up on them, i'll just keep em till the einsteins ship.

For the color shift, perhaps it was the modifiers you used. Since you probably haven't conducted tests, and you're going from real world experiences, my guess is it's the modifiers. I use to use my Profotos without modifiers quite a bit, because of the frosted dome, I felt they worked well bare bulb, or just with standard reflectors and grids. I had/have a few modifiers that shift the colors slightly, or bring out the color shifts to a noticeable level, I noticed this with my elinchroms when I've shot and changed modifiers mid shoot. I don't mean changing from a silver lined to white lined, or silver lined to gold.. I mean going from white lined to white lined.. Some times it doesn't seem to make sense but I think it's a bit of both, the light, and the modifier combined makes for a more noticeable shift...

Apr 02, 2010 at 04:14 AM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.5 #8 · Einstein questions answered

All modifiers shift color. Nylon shifts color down, typically 200. Bright dipping of aluminum reflectors generally shift color up slightly, but not always. Anodizers and platers (especially in China) don't have the knowledge or facilities to tightly control color balance.

Almost every umbrella or softbox that came from China (read B&H and almost every other supplier)) a couple of years back used nylon with brighteners that fluoresce - producing extreme blue color shifts. We found this out the hard way and replaced these to customers and demanded the vendors use non-brightened fabrics. Maintaining absolute color balance between accessories is almost impossible. Perhaps a few ultra expensive companies can control it better than others . . . if you want to pay enough.

Apr 02, 2010 at 04:44 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.5 #9 · Einstein questions answered

"The elinchrom mount is hopeless, so I'm giving up on them, i'll just keep em till the einsteins ship."

Just curious but why do you think that? I love it. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the 7mm umbrella shaft.

Apr 02, 2010 at 04:48 AM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.5 #10 · Einstein questions answered

Paul Buff wrote:
The first Einstein shipments are going out Monday. With some 3400 per orders it will take some time to ramp up production and shipping to reach ship-from-stock status. I have worked 14 hours per day, including every holiday for the past year to get Einstein and several other products right and available.

That's great news Paul. Hopefully I'll be getting that email soon letting me know I can fulfill my preorders.

It's been a long wait, but one I think will be well worth it.

Roger

Apr 02, 2010 at 06:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kenyee
• • •
p.5 #11 · Einstein questions answered

Paul Buff wrote:
Maintaining absolute color balance between accessories is almost impossible. Perhaps a few ultra expensive companies can control it better than others . . . if you want to pay enough.

And even then, the front panel of a Plume Wafer (arguably one of the best softboxes) will yellow over time and add a color cast...

p.s., congrats on going to "shipping" status on the Einsteins, Paul!

Apr 02, 2010 at 02:42 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.5 #12 · Einstein questions answered

Paul Buff wrote:
All modifiers shift color. Nylon shifts color down, typically 200. Bright dipping of aluminum reflectors generally shift color up slightly, but not always. Anodizers and platers (especially in China) don't have the knowledge or facilities to tightly control color balance.

Almost every umbrella or softbox that came from China (read B&H and almost every other supplier)) a couple of years back used nylon with brighteners that fluoresce - producing extreme blue color shifts. We found this out the hard way and replaced these to customers and demanded the vendors use non-brightened fabrics. Maintaining absolute color balance between accessories is almost
...Show more

Exactly my point.... Thank you Paul for the in depth explanation.

Apr 02, 2010 at 05:14 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.5 #13 · Einstein questions answered

The eye cannot judge pure neutral or grey effectively. If a fabric appears the slightest bit yellow to the eye (yes - it happens from environmental pollution even if no smoke is present) it is probably 500K low. Go to Lowes and try to pick a neutral grey color chip and I'll bet 99% of shooters will mis by several hundred degrees. When I do this I grab 10 or 15 samples and shoot them in raw and compare to a good color card (I don't consider X Rite a good color card - their neutrals are all over the place) . . . Kodak is better but still has 100+ variations from grey to grey.

Never try to set white point from white - when you approach 255-255-255 RAW can't read it. I usually try to read mid scale - around 128. Its almost more art than color. Any of my three color meters (Sekonic, Minolta and Gossen) will give me almost any reading I want depending on how close the meter is to the source. The new Sekonic is the best of the 3 - but still far from reliably accurate.

Apr 02, 2010 at 05:34 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.5 #14 · Einstein questions answered

Gregg Heckler wrote:
"The elinchrom mount is hopeless, so I'm giving up on them, i'll just keep em till the einsteins ship."

Just curious but why do you think that? I love it. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the 7mm umbrella shaft.

Oh boy, I'm to tired to get into full detail, so I'll be brief.
Lets say you've started shooting, and decide you want to switch from a striplight to a softbox. You rotate the locking collar to unlock the speedring, then grab the striplight and try to turn it off the mount, but wait the speedring rotates, so then you have to go in there and lock the speedring. Once the speedring is locked you then can rotate the speedring off the mount, the second it pops off the mount it jerks and smacks the bulb, you cringe because your on location and don't have a spare bulb, luckily it didn't break (but it has in the past). Then once thats off, you pick up the softbox, unable to see because the softbox is big, you start fooling around trying to find a way to grab it from the front, nope to big. From the back? nope, no where to grip it, so you then get the bright idea to turn your light up to face the sky, while you let the softbox come down on top of it. You then bend your back trying to fuss with the mount cus you can't see where the little hooks line up.. Finally you get so fed up you put the softbox on the ground take the light off the stand and put it into the softbox, OH crap your speedring is loose, you put the light down on the floor tighten your speedring, then pick the light back up, line it up and then finally clip it in.. By that time your client thinks your an idiot, or if your assistant was doing it, you would have put the camera down went over and tried doing it yourself, again the client thinks your an idiot.

I know what your thinking, why would you not have your speedring locked in the first place.. Well nobody locks them, if a mount is good, you can keep your speedring unlocked and can rotate the modifier freely, Elinchrom doesn't allow this. It's also a highrisk bulb breaker, as the mount pops off like it's spring loaded when you're trying to unhook it. Now I've only broken one bulb, while I've unmounted and mounted hundreds of times, but still it happened.

Does any of this sound familiar, or am I the only one?
I know I'm not the only one, I watch my friend struggle in the same way. He's just gotten so use to it, that he just automatically takes his light off the stand when he does a modifier switch-up.
I've also watched assistants struggle at it, though they'd be first timers.

Anyway, you seem to love it, so either:
A) You've never used Profoto.
B) You have more hands then I do
C) I'm just lousy at mounting my modifiers.

Anyway, just my personal thoughts. Sorry to take this off topic.

Paul, I don't know if this was mentioned, but I really liked the colors of the ABMAX, I know black outsells all other colors by far, but are you planning on introducing other colors shortly? I mean it seems as if it wouldn't really cost anything extra, I could be wrong, but just curious. It would be a neat way to identify the lights when dealing with the CC panel, so I could see the benefit. Not really a big deal, my ABs were black, though my original abmax pre-order was for purple haze units so it would be fun..

Apr 02, 2010 at 05:37 PM
LesMizzell

p.5 #15 · Einstein questions answered

maczilla wrote:
Once the Einstein ramp-up is in full swing, how about developing a child-wrangling device?

There's already a GREAT solution for this. It's called DUCT TAPE.

works for me....

Apr 02, 2010 at 06:17 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.5 #16 · Einstein questions answered

I've used alien bees, elinchrom and profoto. I really disliked the alien bees mount, I could never get all four tabs easily engaged. Profoto is great but I've never had a problem with my elinchroms. I also never rotate my softboxes, but that might be because I don't have a strip light and there's no reason to rotate a square or octa. I wish every manufacture would get rid of stupid push buttons. I hate them. Give me a turn knob to adjust things any day. Hate pushing buttons behind a membrane that have no "feel" and need to be pushed 30 times to adjust the output.

Apr 02, 2010 at 07:11 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.5 #17 · Einstein questions answered

Thanks Adam. I can understand your frustration but like anything else, everything has it's issues. I don't run into some of the issues you have as I use mostly Octa's so I rarely unlock the ring and have enough strobes so I don't change boxes that often. The quality of the light and Elinchrom's color and exposure control far outweigh the mount for me. I like Profoto but I would really miss the Skyport and their monoblocs are way overpriced.

Apr 02, 2010 at 07:14 PM
Carmen Miranda
• • •
p.5 #18 · Einstein questions answered

adamdewilde wrote:
I know what your thinking, why would you not have your speedring locked in the first place.. Well nobody locks them, if a mount is good, you can keep your speedring unlocked and can rotate the modifier freely, Elinchrom doesn't allow this. It's also a highrisk bulb breaker, as the mount pops off like it's spring loaded when you're trying to unhook it. Now I've only broken one bulb, while I've unmounted and mounted hundreds of times, but still it happened.

Adam,

What makes you think the Balcar mount (Einstein/AB) is going to be any different or less "hopeless" than Elinchrom, Bowens, Speedo, DynaLite, Comet, Norman or others in this respect? Don't they all have independent locking and rotation mounts?

BTW, Profoto mount, as superior as it is in many ways, is not immune from broken bulbs either. Although domes do help, they are also a lot more expensive when they break too.

In studio lighting it's not a matter of if something's going to break, but rather when. Although we all have our preferences, I'm really more concerned about reliability and support behind the products. With Profoto, Elinchrom or Paul Buff, I think you're covered either way.

IMO, "one broken bulb" does not a "hopeless mount" make. And neither should the mount be the sole, even primary, reason for buying into a lighting system.
Personally, I have not found a perfect system yet and I don't expect I ever will. Without a doubt however, lighting equipment has come a long way baby. We have much to thank Paul and other lighting innovators.

Congrats and good luck with the Einstein launch, Paul.

Apr 02, 2010 at 08:16 PM
Paul Buff
• • • •
p.5 #19 · Einstein questions answered

Adam,

We'll keep colors in mind for the future. But I get tired of some saying "Oh - colors - this can't be professional, plus it's to cheap to be professional. I guess since there's no winning on this I'll just keep doing what I feel like and listen to my customers and not to the detractors. Done pretty well with that formula for 29 years now.

Apr 02, 2010 at 08:53 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.5 #20 · Einstein questions answered

Paul Buff wrote:
Adam,

We'll keep colors in mind for the future. But I get tired of some saying "Oh - colors - this can't be professional, plus it's to cheap to be professional. I guess since there's no winning on this I'll just keep doing what I feel like and listen to my customers and not to the detractors. Done pretty well with that formula for 29 years now.

If you can only pick one color, black is a pretty safe choice. It worked for Ford, and it will also work for you.

Apr 03, 2010 at 01:40 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password