Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2010 · Using Links on FM

Coolblue2000

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Using Links on FM

I think the link issue is being blown way out of proportion. In my view links are what drives the web, links on other blogs are currently elevating this site to the top of google. Ban links as long as you make sure all links to FredMiranda are removed from other blogs.

Seriously as far as I am concerned even linking to your own site should be fine as long as it is in context and not obvious spamming. I personally love to take a look at others blogs which are posted as links in here and also it is nice to see others sites and be able to comment on them to help people out. I perfectly understand banning spamming but to be honest the odd little self promotion in the context of a photography post should be seen as ok.

Apr 07, 2010 at 06:00 AM
ksmahgrts
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Using Links on FM

is this discussion still really happening?

the problem is, one person peed in the cheerios. then we all got grounded. thread over.

Apr 12, 2010 at 04:26 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Using Links on FM

L O L It was over 5 days ago.

Apr 12, 2010 at 05:13 PM
Jonathan Young

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Using Links on FM

Steve,

This sounds perfect,
everything in moderation.

jon

Jun 30, 2010 at 11:51 AM
Sam Hassas
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Using Links on FM

If anyone so much as touches Steve will have to answer to Mr Norris.

~Sam

Jul 18, 2010 at 04:22 AM
ContagiousIdea
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Using Links on FM

Posting just to replace Sam.

Jul 20, 2010 at 01:42 PM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Using Links on FM

Coolblue2000 wrote:
I think the link issue is being blown way out of proportion. In my view links are what drives the web, links on other blogs are currently elevating this site to the top of google. Ban links as long as you make sure all links to FredMiranda are removed from other blogs.

Seriously as far as I am concerned even linking to your own site should be fine as long as it is in context and not obvious spamming. I personally love to take a look at others blogs which are posted as links in here and also it is nice
...Show more

Ditto. I'm simply amazed at the things some people have time to get upset about. I wish I had the luxury of being able to get worked up about something as stupid as somebody else on an internet forum posting a link to their website! Must be nice...

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:26 AM
ContagiousIdea
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Using Links on FM

You know I've been looking at a few of the other forums here and noticed that especially in the people forum there is one individual in particular that constantly almost daily posts about publications about himself and links to himself on the various covers of different mags. Why is this allowed?

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:33 PM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Using Links on FM

ContagiousIdea wrote:
You know I've been looking at a few of the other forums here and noticed that especially in the people forum there is one individual in particular that constantly almost daily posts about publications about himself and links to himself on the various covers of different mags. Why is this allowed?

Great question for Fred, who is the sole mod of the people forum. I suggest you report the thread and just ask what's up. It may be that he is totally unaware because #1 he is a busy guy and does not read every thread and #2 it is not causing problems over there so nobody has reported it.

Aug 12, 2010 at 01:20 PM
ContagiousIdea
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Using Links on FM

Ah.. well I reported him a few times and never heard anything back and no change... hrm Thanks for the quick reply thats why your the man!

Aug 12, 2010 at 01:21 PM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Using Links on FM

ContagiousIdea wrote:

A better question in my opinion is why do you care?

Aug 14, 2010 at 07:41 AM
ContagiousIdea
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Using Links on FM

Due to the fact that we've been hammered here for it, it's supposed to be a forum wide rule. If we are going to get hammered might as well expect it of everyone else.

Aug 18, 2010 at 04:55 PM
thethinkcouch
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Using Links on FM

turtles.

Jan 02, 2011 at 05:36 AM
ksmahgrts
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Using Links on FM

thethinkcouch wrote:
turtles.

http://www.animalpictures1.com/data/media/131/funny_turtle_car.jpg

Jan 08, 2011 at 12:44 PM
remoras
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Using Links on FM

Funny you mention gaming forum. I used to be a mod on a gaming forum. After reading this thread all the nightmares are coming back
It's hard to please everyone.

Jan 24, 2011 at 09:43 AM
jammykirsten

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Using Links on FM

In the spirit of having a forum full of quality participants, I can't imagine any actions like those you mention would be frowned upon or prohibited considering they are the very reason many of us continually visit here

Jul 02, 2011 at 07:34 AM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Using Links on FM

So are we now permitting links to our blogs & websites?

I only ask because there are frequent links seen to photographers blogs & websites .. most play by the rules and some break them constantly but what's the point of having rules if nobody enforces them?

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:13 PM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Using Links on FM

We ask that members do not link back to their sites or blogs for the purpose of SEO or self promotion of products or services available to photographers. We encourage photographers to link to photos for the purpose of sharing their work. For example, please do not start a thread that says "hey check out my work" with "Orange County Wedding Photographer" linked back to your site. Post your photos to the site, or link the actual photos so they show up in your post. Yes, there will be the occasional time this happens and not everyone gets the memo first time around. We handle these case by case and generally don't step in unless the behavior becomes persistent.
Thanks!

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Using Links on FM

Personal thoughts:

Linking is a good thing for this forum, IF the link has something to offer the reader, or has a set of images that should not be posted here (for size reasons, or for copyright reasons).

Links that are solely for the purpose of self promotion are generally a bad thing IMO. IT will open floodgates and become a link farm. Useful discussion will diminish and useless links take their place.

If you know its a useful, non self promoting link, I would say great. If you know its just to gain some love for yourself (ultimately), I think it should be avoided.

Best, D.

Jul 23, 2011 at 08:45 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Using Links on FM

I guess I'll finally chime in since this thread started partly because of me (sheepishly). I think the message is this:

(from Steve) "We ask that members do not link back to their sites or blogs for the purpose of SEO or self promotion of products or services available to photographers."

If you want to share a set of photos on your blog/website, do it with "check out more on the BLOG". Not in the methods as listed above. This is my opinion, but I believe this is why the issue started. It was NEVER the issue of actually posting a link to your site, it only became an issue when SEO tactics were being employed.

Feel free to moderate....

Aug 02, 2011 at 12:43 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.