FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2010 · Using Links on FM

lisy78
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Using Links on FM

TTLKurtis wrote:
I think maybe it could still be spelled out a little more clearly.

I'm reading that as: "Continue posting 'view the rest on my blog' links, links to reviews like Tony did, etc... but the rule is there so that if it becomes a problem and someone is blatantly posting something just to promote themselves (spam) or to improve SEO, we can point to the rule and then take action."

Is that about right?

If we keep asking for something to be spelled out more clearly we are NOT going to like the outcome.

I'm reading it the same way as you are.

If we're wrong we will likely get a slap on the hand by a moderator and will know we need to change course... but requesting that Fred say more than he has would most likely not result in MORE flexibility

Mar 04, 2010 at 02:09 PM
William Wilson
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Using Links on FM

What's the take on those asking for cc on their website and blog designs a frequent request on this board?

Mar 04, 2010 at 03:46 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Using Links on FM

Steve Tinetti wrote:
..."if there is a pattern of always including a link to the blog or "read this article here..." type of posting, we will need to contact the poster and advise that advertising is not allowed (subtle spamming)."

So this would apply to replies to "How to" questions? I'm thinking, for example, of Chuck Gardner's posts that often contain links to his site. Many newcomers find the information on his site very helpful.

Mar 04, 2010 at 04:07 PM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Using Links on FM

Sorry for the "wall", but there is much to be said.

I say we continue to evolve. This latest episode is only one step in that process. Don't be afraid to post your links. The bottom line "rule" is no self promotion. Interpret it as you will. If the membership does not like it, they will report it. We will look at it and if adjustments are needed, adjustments will be made. Perception is reality and perceive it as you will, but we play no favorites. If you feel singled out, too bad. If you feel you are being made an example, I'm truly sorry you feel that way. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the primary focus from a moderator's stance is the overall well being of the forum. This stance is bound to step on some toes. That's the tough part about this job. Someone is always pissed off at the mod.

Back in the day when we first started this thing, I used to enforce a zero tolerance policy for linking. But it soon became evident that for information to flow freely, we need to be able to link to outside references. The lines became blurred and needed to be focused a bit.

I have given this much thought. I've received and answered many PMs and more than one phone call. Personally, I think it is not good for the forum growth if we are not allowed to post links. From what I have read, most people are with me on this. Fred may handle it differently because it is his site and he looks at a much larger picture than we do. If he sees something he doesn't like, it is gone without warning.

So this is how I will handle it.

Post your links but be smart about it. Don't write an article, give a teaser and link to the rest on your blog with keywords. If your post is edited or disappears altogether, log that away for the next time you post. You guys have to police yourselves because I just cannot be here all the time. We have some conflicting personalities on this board, which is perfectly normal for any on-line community (check the gaming forums for a really clear vision of what I'm talking about). Be that as it may, nobody is forcing you to come. Nobody is forcing you to post erroneous junk to hijack threads. This behavior will be cracked on a little harder from now on.

This tact will not sit well with some members, the waters are muddy. What is fair for one will suck for another and vice versa. I will probably get PMs "why did you edit/lock my thread and so-and-so gets a free pass?" Then that SAME so-and-so will PM me "WTH - totally unfair!"

Case by case with emphasis on the greater good of the forum - that is the answer.

Is it perfect? No. Will it ever be? No. Do I care for your opinion? Yes! Are there other forums you can go to if this doesn't work for you? Yes! Can we get alone and make each other better at wedding photography? No doubt!

Mar 04, 2010 at 04:49 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Using Links on FM

Sounds good to me and not to hard to follow.

Thanks Steve.

_Mark

Mar 04, 2010 at 04:58 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Using Links on FM

Any rules on funny captioned kittens yet?

Mar 04, 2010 at 05:21 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Using Links on FM

Well said, Steve. I think you've spelled it out pretty clearly now.

/bro-hug

Mar 04, 2010 at 05:25 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Using Links on FM

three things:

1. Steve, you da man. That was one heck of an awesome wall of text back there

2. I've said it before and I'll say it again - if it were possible to implement a "like" "dislike" feature much of this could be avoided as it is those who are annoyed by a post or a thread do little more than ruffle feather AND offer a free bump to the thread in question. In my mind if a post gets 10 green lights I don't care who doesn't like it obviously SOMEONE found it useful

3. REPORTING a post for something as frivolous as gray-area SEO linking should be VERY strongly discouraged. I'm not saying you shouldn't PM Steve about it ... I'm talking about clicking the REPORT link. There is a guy here who has graciously made this "room" available for us to spend time in and if I read one of Steve's posts correctly anytime YOU click report you are not only paging Steve, but also our gracious host.
If you're gonna click REPORT every time something doesn't sit well with you (or every time a particular poster posts an outside link) you're only likely to ruin this for all of us.

Mar 04, 2010 at 05:51 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Using Links on FM

jeremy_clay wrote:
Any rules on funny captioned kittens yet?

dude jeremy serious I have a cat that looks exactly like yours.
no joke

Mar 04, 2010 at 07:29 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Using Links on FM

hardlyboring wrote:
dude jeremy serious I have a cat that looks exactly like yours.
no joke

which one?

Mar 10, 2010 at 01:40 AM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Using Links on FM

It is obvious the world has begun its quick and painful downward spiral, when we start to see links to our peer's websites in their signatures and replies... Could you imagine, links to actual websites, posted,,, ON THE INTERNET!... Oh the horror! And the comedy....

Unfortunately it no longer amazes me what some people get upset about on the internet. I have been numbed by the dumb.

Chris Miller
(unqualified & unsubstantiated)

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:01 PM
William Wilson
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Using Links on FM

There is the www button for a permanent link to your website/blog

Mar 12, 2010 at 02:01 AM
Jonathan H
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Using Links on FM

Look folks, it's pretty simple to tell what's allowed and what isn't allowed. The rules are left slightly grey to allow for interpretation. Remember Justice Potter Stewart's famous line?

"I know it when I see it..." -Jacobellis v. Ohio 378 U.S. 184 (1964)

I wrote a great article about it on my blog!

Mar 12, 2010 at 06:17 AM
DavidWEGS
[X]
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Using Links on FM

Hey Steve, Fred and all.

I have not been following this discussion, so forgive the ignorance on the issue.

I just went to look at someone's images and saw only one. It seemed odd there was no link to more images. So after reading the other posts, I realized it had become something of an issue here. So I have a few questions:

1) Is it not a benefit to members who pay to be members?
2) Is it not a benefit to FM from the stand point of more traffic, and there for more clout to ask for ad revenue from B&H etc.?
3) What is the harm to anyone in doing this linking?

<<diving for cover>>

Mar 14, 2010 at 08:41 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Using Links on FM

It allows them to do ONLY that, and not contribute to the forum in other ways. This forum's not about padding Fred's pocket. Forums are for sharing and learning - not spamming.

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:56 AM
Tad Killian
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Using Links on FM

This is starting to feel like politics and a workplace. Steve, hat's off to you! I say it each time I bring up your name, but I think you guys are overthinking it in attempts to please everyone. I could be naive though. That's a possibilty too.

I bring up politics and the workplace as two examples of how attempts to correct problems often fail, while at the same time bring down the overall morale of the group. It seems like, the majority of the crew can adhere to the rules, and apply a bit of common sense and tact when it comes to "bending" rules or "walking the line".

Why not just address the person/s that is f***ing up, rather than making up more rules for the rest of the bunch?

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:44 AM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Using Links on FM

Tad Killian wrote:
Why not just address the person/s that is f***ing up, rather than making up more rules for the rest of the bunch?

Here here. Reminds me of my California government. Making up a bunch of unnecessary legislation to micromanage the general population, at the unnecessary but great expense of that population, when its really just a few bad apples that could simply be tossed out.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:26 AM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Using Links on FM

ChrisDM wrote:
Here here. Reminds me of my California government. Making up a bunch of unnecessary legislation to micromanage the general population, at the unnecessary but great expense of that population, when its really just a few bad apples that could simply be tossed out.

Fred and Steve haven't so much stated this flat out but if you really pay attention to what they wrote it becomes abundantly clear that they have no intention of really changing rules, let alone enforce rules that have been there all along provided that posters don't violate the spirit of the forum by obviously attempting to simply drive traffit to their site.

Case in point, ever since the "new rules" (which aren't really new rules at all) I have made one or two posts that in fact had links back to my blog. The posts were genuine requests for critique, with a bunch of images to be seen. The link to the specific blog post was there truly to invite those who really wanted to see more to do so, most viewers probably had enough content in the post itself.

Frankly I'm getting a little annoyed by the silly "if you want to see more of the set you can click the WWW at the bottom which will lead you to my splash page, from where you'll have to click blog and then hope I haven't blogged new stuff since i posted this because otherwise you probably will have to search... bla bla bla" it shoudl be pretty obvious to most of these posters (the vast majority of whom are full time contributors to the forum) that their posts are perfect candidates for straight linking.

Oh and about the "bad apples" and tossing them out...

unfortunately at least a couple of the peeps whose skirmish seems to have started this are universally loved contributors to the forum. If only they loved each other as much as the rest of us love them we wouldn't have to put up with this crap ... bottom line, nobody wants those apples to be tossed out. We want them to take their meds (or shaer a beer) maybe ... but not get tossed out

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:54 AM
digitalbug30d
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Using Links on FM

well isnt a Wedding photographer that post their work...advertising?

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:37 PM
Tad Killian
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Using Links on FM

well isnt a Wedding photographer that post their work...advertising?

Only if brides surf here.

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:41 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.