Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2010 · #386 Guiding Light

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · #386 Guiding Light

A very busy bridge on a Saturday Night (Alton, IL) ... even though it might not look like it here. It doesn't really show it in the pic, but this is a suspension bridge with a 'zillion' rods holding up the bridge that spans the Mississippi River.

It took about 45 minutes to find a few seconds that didn't have a bunch of traffic in either direction. I was literally sitting on the concrete median of the highway ... I was just glad that the police didn't happen by, as they certainly would have made me leave (safety reasons of course).

My wife reminded me how much my life insurance policy was before I went out to get this one ... not quite sure what she was trying to tell me.

She asked me if it was 'safe' to go out there ... wonder what I told her.

Edited on Mar 03, 2010 at 12:40 AM · View previous versions

Feb 28, 2010 at 06:07 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · #386 Guiding Light

Here's another 'triangle' shot I was considering.

Feb 28, 2010 at 06:38 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · #386 Guiding Light

Lovely shot. I usually don't like symmetry but it works well here.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 28, 2010 at 09:40 AM
teglis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · #386 Guiding Light

I agree with Yakim. The second shot doesn't really do anything for me, but the first is really cool.

Cheers,
Rich

Feb 28, 2010 at 02:26 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · #386 Guiding Light

Thanks guys.

I was just feeling a bit 'historical' with the arrowheads, as the pic is from the Cahokia Mounds Museum.

Feb 28, 2010 at 04:23 PM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #6 · #386 Guiding Light

Ahhh... A couple very nice triangles.

Feb 28, 2010 at 05:23 PM
CDalessandro
• • • •
p.1 #7 · #386 Guiding Light

My fav is #1...great capture!

Feb 28, 2010 at 05:45 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · #386 Guiding Light

Possible PS revision ??

Feb 28, 2010 at 06:46 PM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · #386 Guiding Light

Nice work. I do like the PS versipn slightly better since it cleans up the triangle area a bit. Either way the image is very nice. The lights are really dramatic against the night sky. Relly clean shot.

Feb 28, 2010 at 07:23 PM
DiggerMt

p.1 #10 · #386 Guiding Light

I also like the PS version better

Feb 28, 2010 at 08:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · #386 Guiding Light

Thanks guys ... my wife agreed with you as well about the PS version ... so the switch is on.

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:11 PM
sefo

p.1 #12 · #386 Guiding Light

I must be blind, I cannot what changes in the PS version?
Anyway, excellent shot! (and it's always interesting to hear a story behind a picture)

Mar 01, 2010 at 05:28 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · #386 Guiding Light

sefo ... Thanks

Edited on Mar 05, 2010 at 05:47 PM · View previous versions

Mar 01, 2010 at 05:25 PM
af120835
• • •
p.1 #14 · #386 Guiding Light

Nicely done. Great use of symmetry. I admire your patience!

You know if you were over here and the police found you on a bridge like that, getting told to leave would probably be the last thing that would happen, more likely you would probably get stopped and searched, maybe arrested, as you'd be suspected of being a terrorist! (I kid ye not!)

Anyway, nicely executed, I prefer the PS version too, not sure about the frame though, it makes the main pic a tad small.

Best of luck!

Andy

Mar 01, 2010 at 07:34 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · #386 Guiding Light

af120835 ...

Thanks.

I know what you mean.

Even in my small home town, I have had the cops called out on me about 7 or 8 times accused of everything from stalking & perv to surveillance/casing. It's a sad thing ... used to be that someone with a 'rig' was intriguing & respectable. Now, they are guilty without cause.

Fortunately, they've always handled things okay with me, but it still spoils your day.

I changed the frame ... any better?

Mar 01, 2010 at 10:39 PM
tinamarie52
• • •
p.1 #16 · #386 Guiding Light

I love this concept.... and your efforts to capture the image. I must say that I like the original. Those center lights really anchor it for me.

Chris

Mar 01, 2010 at 11:02 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · #386 Guiding Light

Chris ... thanks.

I tried to figure a way to 'tone down' the center lights ... they're just a bit too dominant for me. Everything I tried turned out poorly, so it left me with removal only.

This would probably be a good project for me to try & learn 'layers' or something else in PS ... any recommendations are VERY welcome. If I could maybe rescale them smaller and give them the appearance of being farther away.

I thought maybe I could add a 'moon' or some other sky treatment ... but, then again ... arghh, too many options.

Mar 02, 2010 at 01:31 AM
af120835
• • •
p.1 #18 · #386 Guiding Light

RustyBug wrote:
Now, they are guilty without cause.

Fortunately, they've always handled things okay with me, but it still spoils your day.

I know what you mean. It's always on my mind now when I go out with my camera whether I'm going to get hassle or not. I try not to let it get to me, but it's always on my mind. It's kind of a cloud on a silver lining for me.

I changed the frame ... any better?

Ah yeah, much better!

Andy

Mar 02, 2010 at 12:26 PM
t.england

p.1 #19 · #386 Guiding Light

The image is great. Very nice shot and kudos for the patience.

I'm not a fan of the frame though. It is somewhat overpowered and distracts from the image.

Mar 02, 2010 at 11:19 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · #386 Guiding Light

t. england ... thanks. I'd like to have a little less dominant frame, but our choices are but a few. I do like the green in the frame, but a little thinner and a little thinner matting, but hey ... what's guy to do.

Chris ... I put the center lights back in, as I managed to make them a bit less dominating. If I could maybe rescale them smaller and give them the appearance of being farther away.

All in all ... I think I'm pretty happy with this one ... maybe even enough to print.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Mar 03, 2010 at 12:46 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password