WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · #385 Curves of Light

Shutterslam
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #385 Curves of Light

Challenging assignment this week.

Lit with two lights with aluminum foil snoots feathered to maximize the shadow detail. Hope you enjoy - and good luck to everyone

ss

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:21 PM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #385 Curves of Light

Excellent entry, Shutterslam.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:25 PM
Dajavu
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #385 Curves of Light

Interesting abstract, great light and bold colour, I like it! Good luck,

David

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:34 PM
who me
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #385 Curves of Light

Looks pretty cool to me. Love the shade of blue too.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:35 PM
Chad Schulz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #385 Curves of Light

Beautiful abstract. Great colors and composition.

Chad

Feb 24, 2010 at 01:12 AM
vegaskevin
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #385 Curves of Light

WOW!
It might not be for everyone, but I think that is awesome. That is the type of work I hope to produce some day.

Kevin

Feb 24, 2010 at 02:04 AM
Shutterslam
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #385 Curves of Light

vegaskevin wrote:
WOW!
It might not be for everyone, but I think that is awesome. That is the type of work I hope to produce some day.

Kevin

Vegaskevin,

You could easily shoot this today if you were so inclined. All it takes is a little imagination and an understanding of how light works in these conditions.

They're 11x14 sheets of premium laser printer paper which has a smoother gradient and glossier surface than regular paper, taped to the floor in curving patterns.

EXIF data's intact for the photo but those settings are nothing special. The flash level which was 1/40th and about 3 inches from the subject. The shot is simply the top third of the paper from an angle that ensured that the large curve entered from the bottom left and exited through the right.

Lighting this was the real challenge. You can't use a bare flash and hope to retain the shadows, because a bare flash will spill light everywhere. All I did was take some regular aluminum foil and snooted the flash so the light came out as a thin horizontal beam of blue (gelled) light. You aim the light at the bottom of the paper and what happens is as light travels up the paper, it falls off into shadows which is what gives the form its definition.

When you get to this point, it's a game of inches, an inch to the left or to the right or up or down and it completely changes the lighting. What you see is the result of about 100 permutations of light placements and beam sizes, where the focus was, light it evenly, but not so much that it blows the shadows away.

Hope that helps.

ss

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:35 AM
af120835
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #385 Curves of Light

Worth the effort! Great image. Another of my faves this week.

Feb 24, 2010 at 01:11 PM
Djenkins
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #385 Curves of Light

SS ~ Great shot! I really appreciate your willingness to share your technique...Best of luck this week.

Feb 24, 2010 at 04:32 PM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #385 Curves of Light

I am seeing this for the first time..this is gorgeous!
Carolyn

Feb 24, 2010 at 07:59 PM
nlamendo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #385 Curves of Light

Thanks so much for the explanation of how you created this image. You make it sound easier than I think it really is. It's a great image, almost looks computer generated. Nice work!
-Nick

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:03 PM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #385 Curves of Light

ss... Thanks for that scientific explanation to your shot! It goes to show you that great shots just don't happen (even though you can get really lucky from time to time). Well thought out!

Feb 25, 2010 at 09:46 PM
vegaskevin
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #385 Curves of Light

Shutterslam,
I will be trying some images this weekend using your suggestions. I have allot going on, but I am eager to try that concept. I am having a hard time with un-natural light. I think I need to shadow someone who has a good grasp to help understand the concepts. I learn much more by seeing than reading how to do it.

Thank you for sharing your use of light, I will let you know how it works out for me. By the looks of the vote count I can see people feel as I do that your image is simply fantastic. After reviewing all the entries from this week and a few weeks back, it appears that the less busy images are the most compelling. In my entry there is too much to focus on. It has a place, but not in this contest.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Feb 27, 2010 at 01:01 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #385 Curves of Light

Chad Schulz wrote:
Beautiful abstract. Great colors and composition.

Chad

I'm with Chad. Lovely pic.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 27, 2010 at 04:39 PM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.