Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · Japanese EOS 7D?

rudiphoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Japanese EOS 7D?

Hi everyone,

I'm posting this question on behalf of a friend. She has recently purchased a grey-market 7D, and the original user manual appears to be a Japanese version (has a 'J' in the bottom right corner of the cover page). It also came with an English version of the manual, but this was supplied outside the shrink-wrap, an add-on.

This camera has only 2 (yes, TWO) menu languages! What I assume is Japanese, and English. Does this sound right? Would a 7D, destined for the domestic Japanese market, only come with two languages? Does anyone here have one they bought in Japan maybe? The serial number is 0410505xxx, if that is of any help.

Thanks in advance for any info you might shed on the matter.

Edited on Feb 23, 2010 at 04:56 AM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2010 at 04:28 AM
Venus
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Japanese EOS 7D?

Some time back, I bought a 5d2 in Japan and although it came only with Japanese manual, the camera's language mode had all the other languages avaliable. I don't know if this makes sense. Maybe there are variations.

Edited on Feb 23, 2010 at 04:57 AM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2010 at 04:49 AM
riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Japanese EOS 7D?

This is interesting

S/N seems to be an early release

What is the firmware version? Maybe you can load the latest U.S. version?

Feb 23, 2010 at 04:54 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Japanese EOS 7D?

Maybe the Japanese firmware only has two languages and the North Anerican firmware has more.(?)

Omar

Feb 23, 2010 at 04:55 AM
rudiphoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Japanese EOS 7D?

Current firmware installed - 1.1.0.

Feb 23, 2010 at 04:56 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Japanese EOS 7D?

I've used FW off the Canon-Japan site and didn't notice anything different.

Feb 23, 2010 at 05:48 AM
rudiphoto
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Japanese EOS 7D?

I wonder if it's just a bum install...

Feb 23, 2010 at 05:49 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Japanese EOS 7D?

Besides, aren't they all Japanese?

Feb 23, 2010 at 05:43 PM
rudiphoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Japanese EOS 7D?

It seems that there are indeed different regional versions of the 7D, and they have different languages loaded. I have confirmed this independently via two people:

1) with someone who also has a Japanese model like my friend's, with only Japanese and English loaded, and;
2) another person who has a different version of the 7D, purchased in India (their 7D has a different set of languages to the "western" version of the 7D).

This is all news to me, but apparently regional variations do exist. I have no idea what will happen after a firmware upgrade.

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Japanese EOS 7D?

Gochugogi wrote:
Besides, aren't they all Japanese?

I assume the OP means "for the Japanese market," not "of Japanese manufacture."

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:53 PM
rudiphoto
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Japanese EOS 7D?

Indeed, I meant: "Japanese domestic market version". It just seemed too long for the title.

Feb 23, 2010 at 10:56 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Japanese EOS 7D?

omarlyn wrote:
Maybe the Japanese firmware only has two languages and the North Anerican firmware has more.(?)

My menu (USA model) lists twelve languages: English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finish, Italian, Norweigan, Swedish, Spanish, Chinese, and Japanese.

Since Russian, Korean, Arabic, etc. are missing, it does seems logical that there are different versions out there.

EDIT: Rudi confirmed this in his post #9 while I was typing.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:02 PM
rudiphoto
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Japanese EOS 7D?

Another acquaintance of mine, in Canada, reckons his 7D has 26 languages...

It looks like they're everywhere!

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:08 PM
ngc7789
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Japanese EOS 7D?

I can confirm that cameras bought in Japan or for the Japanese market have only Japanese and English. I bought both my 50D and SX1 while living in Japan. They gained the other languages when I did their first firmware upgrades which I downloaded from the US site.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:10 PM
JRMagee

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Japanese EOS 7D?

Hmmm. The 1Dm3 at the office (bought in Japan for use in Japan) has 18 languages, and my 30D has 15. I think the two bodies came with these languages, not that they were added during a firmware upgrade. The manuals for each are J-only.
I'd like to think Canon would have a uniform policy for something like this, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was more haphazard, or varied by model.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:19 PM
ngc7789
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Japanese EOS 7D?

Adding to the mystery, when I sold my US 20D while in Japan the fact that it had all the languages was considered a negative. Lost one potential sale. I have no idea why.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:56 PM
JRMagee

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Japanese EOS 7D?

Haha - that's great. "Yeah, it's in great shape, the price is good, but it's got all those Other Languages on it. I don't know...."

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:59 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Japanese EOS 7D?

ngc7789 wrote:
Adding to the mystery, when I sold my US 20D while in Japan the fact that it had all the languages was considered a negative. Lost one potential sale. I have no idea why.

Ethnocentrism. Many Japanese would not want a "foreign" camera, especially a used foreign camera.

Feb 24, 2010 at 02:48 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password