FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2010 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

burningheart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

I no longer have the FD 800mm.

The lens is a good performer controls contrast very well and is good wide open.

To use it on an EOS body you need to get the FD-EOS adapter with glass (the Canon one). You lose some sharpness and some IQ and 2/3 stop of light. Do not get any other glass adapter it will be a waste of money. You can also get a an FD-EOS macro adapter with no glass but will not have infinity focus but will allow you to shoot at F5.6 with no loss in IQ.

You might be able to get the mount changed I have not heard of anyone doing it on the 800.

The MTF graph from the old FD and EF.

http://www.robert-chisholm.com/fred_miranda/800_MTF.jpg

No PP was done on these images except resizing and adjusting the brightness. No sharpening was done. Shot on a 5D just after I got my 5D.

With the glass adapter
http://members.shaw.ca/astrangerinthewind/5d/images/IMG_0384.jpg

With the macro adapter
http://members.shaw.ca/astrangerinthewind/5d/images/IMG_0397.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/astrangerinthewind/5d/images/IMG_0401.jpg

The lens will work on m43 but the FOV of 1600 is so big that trying to get focus on anything moving even slowly is extremely difficult.

For a manual focus 800 on a Canon EOS body I would recommend a Nikon first. Sorry Canon lovers but as you can see from James' images which are great, you maintain infinity focus, do not need a glass adapter and have no loss of light.

If you choose to go with the FD be sure to get both a macro adapter and the Canon FD-EOS adapter with glass, it will act as a 1.26x TC so the 800 becomes a 1008mm f/7.1.

Feb 23, 2010 at 05:52 AM
wanttosnap

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

argh... a little too late for the KEH sale. Anyone knows another source for it?

Feb 23, 2010 at 06:14 AM
BuLLets
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

R.H. Johnson wrote:
i shoot the FD 800mm f5.6l combo with the genuine Canon FD-EOS adapter w focus confirmation chip.

Ain't that a sweet lens!

I still have a few more Long FD lenses left if you need em!

Feb 24, 2010 at 06:50 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

Bullets it has been a long time my friend. yes, it is a sweet lens in the right hands, sir. it took a very long time acquire the right hardware to master it. it was well worth the effort. eventually i will have it converted to an EF mount. it has taught me patience and timing. no spray and pray when shooting manual. i want a Canon 150-500mm i think or the 500mm f4.5l.

Feb 25, 2010 at 01:28 AM
jamesdak
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

wanttosnap wrote:
Very fantastic shots you have here. May I know the setup that you have? DSLR, adapter? Permanent mount conversion?
Thanks!

When I first got the lens I was using it on either my Canon 40D or my Canon 5D. At first I used a fotodiox pro Nikon to EOS adapter but later switched to a beefier Novaflex one. My 5D has an enhanced matte focusing screen in it to make manual focusing easier. With the 40D I use live view whenever possible. But once I found out the additional benefits to using it on a Nikon body I bought a D300 to use it one. With the D300 I was able to program in the lens specs and now get accurate exif data. I also get spot on metering in almost ever situation whereas with the EOS bodies I was always having to dial in exposure comensation. The D300 also allows me to step down the aperture on the lens but keeps the diaghram open for bright focusing. Then the D300 actually closes the aperture when the shutter is fired. Finally, the AF confirmation led in the viewfinder on the D300 works and is accurate. In most every situation I can just use the AF confirmation to set focus.

A few more samples:

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/109562690.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/113529956.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/118475434.jpg

Feb 25, 2010 at 02:24 AM
wanttosnap

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

BuLLets wrote:
Ain't that a sweet lens!

I still have a few more Long FD lenses left if you need em!

Bullets, by any chance do you have one for sale?

Feb 25, 2010 at 03:42 AM
wanttosnap

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

jamesdak wrote:
When I first got the lens I was using it on either my Canon 40D or my Canon 5D. At first I used a fotodiox pro Nikon to EOS adapter but later switched to a beefier Novaflex one. My 5D has an enhanced matte focusing screen in it to make manual focusing easier. With the 40D I use live view whenever possible. But once I found out the additional benefits to using it on a Nikon body I bought a D300 to use it one. With the D300 I was able to program in the lens specs and now get
...Show more

OMG. You really do get aperture control and the works? If you're not kidding, then that's fantastic!!! You make me wanna change to a Nikon system. Hahha. It's been a while and I keep dreaming about this lens and how to maximize it.

Do you have pictures of that setup again? Also want to know more about the adapter that you used (lenless?) and the manual aperture control....

Feb 25, 2010 at 03:49 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

with the EOS bodies I was always having to dial in exposure comensation

not true with the Canon 800mm f5.6l and my EOS bodies (40D, 5D, & 5d MKII) shot in Av mode. focus wide open then manually stop down (with the FD-EOS adapter stopping down is a flip of a lever to a pre-set stop). the metering and happy face focus confirmation chip is dead on in my set ups.

i use the entire focusing screen when shooting dynamic action shots and live view when shooting static.

i have the original focus confirmation chip. i had it programed for f1.4 to activate the six hidden focus assist points in the EOS bodies. the new version of the happy face chip allows programing lens data for accurate EXIF data. Due to the modifications to the chip and my very expensive FD-EOS adapter i opted not to change the chip to the newer version. i dremeled my $1063.00 adaptor and chip to make it all fit togethr and got lucky with the chip accuracy. i dare not perform that surgery again. you can dial-in the chip with micro adjust.

the FD_EOS adapter has glass which reduces the f stop by 2/3 stop and acts as a 1.26X TNC making the effective focal length 1008mm full frame and 1612.80mm on a 1.6 crop body with infinity focus maintained..

Edited on Feb 25, 2010 at 05:01 AM · View previous versions

Feb 25, 2010 at 04:34 AM
jamesdak
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

wanttosnap wrote:
OMG. You really do get aperture control and the works? If you're not kidding, then that's fantastic!!! You make me wanna change to a Nikon system. Hahha. It's been a while and I keep dreaming about this lens and how to maximize it.

Do you have pictures of that setup again? Also want to know more about the adapter that you used (lenless?) and the manual aperture control....

The adapter had no glass element so no reduction in image quality. On the aperture control you have to be careful. Not all Nikon bodies will control the aperture but the mid and high ends bodies will. A little google searching will get you to which bodies will do this. Basically if I want to shoot the lens at say f/11 then I set the apeture ring on the lens to f/11. But the actual aperture still stays wide open so that you have the brightest possible viewfinder for focusing. Then as you press the shutter button the aperture steps down to f/11 and the shot is taken. I forgot to mention that as you turn the aperture ring on the lens the aperture display in the viewfinder changes to show what aperture you have chosen.

You know, I shot Minolta for close to 20 years and then went with Canon in 2006. For me this Nikon setup was the best choice for what I could afford so I made the purchase. I truly believe in getting the tools I need immaterial to what brand they are.

Feb 25, 2010 at 04:53 AM
jamesdak
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

R.H. Johnson wrote:
with the EOS bodies I was always having to dial in exposure comensation

not true with the Canon 800mm f5.6l and my EOS bodies (40D, 5D, & 5d MKII) shot in Av mode. focus wide open then manually stop down (with the FD-EOS adapter stopping down is a flip of a lever to a pre-set stop). the metering and happy face focus confirmation chip is dead on in my set ups.

i use the entire focusing screen when shooting dynamic action shots and live view when shooting static.

i have the original focus confirmation chip. i had it programed for
...Show more

Sounds like it works well for you, cool. I shoot with a bunch of adapted alternative lenses and I find the metering to be a mixed bag. But for me it's a minor point. Some lenses, like my Mamiya 645 200/2.8 APO meters spot on with my Canon 5D but some of the other Leica or Contax lenses require exposure compensation. It's not always linear even but it really is no big deal. Heck, I've always got me light meter with me so in most cases I have no excuse not to get an accurate exposure no matter what combo of gear I'm using.

Feb 25, 2010 at 04:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

i might add that there is no IQ loss with the original FD-EOS adapter. the adaptor is made of some exotic Canon glass. i tested the lens with adapters with and without glass and to my surprise the glass adapter lens combination was actually sharper than the no glass adapter lens combination.

Edited on Feb 25, 2010 at 05:17 AM · View previous versions

Feb 25, 2010 at 05:06 AM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

i also shoot Canon FD 300mm f4l, 300mm f2.8l, and 600mm f4l. i had my worst metering situation when i used a bright screen (i think) focusing screen on my 5D. i had to deal with compensation and non- linearity in metering.

Feb 25, 2010 at 05:14 AM
BuLLets
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

No more 800's

wanttosnap wrote:
Bullets, by any chance do you have one for sale?

Mar 08, 2010 at 06:40 PM
edmika

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

I've got two FD 800mm 5.6L lenses and an FD 600mm 4.5L. I've made a glassless adapter that allows infinity focus on both designs with the removal of the focus stop pin. Check out this flickr link for details. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ontarian/4539983428/

Apr 21, 2010 at 05:19 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

Ouch. How can you put such and expensive lens on the banister?

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Edited on Apr 21, 2010 at 08:27 AM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2010 at 08:22 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

must be a Gitzo banister

Apr 21, 2010 at 08:25 AM
edmika

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

The railing was a dangerous move, I'll give you that, but it wasn't windy or anything.

Apr 21, 2010 at 05:56 PM
wanttosnap

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

edmika wrote:
I've got two FD 800mm 5.6L lenses and an FD 600mm 4.5L. I've made a glassless adapter that allows infinity focus on both designs with the removal of the focus stop pin. Check out this flickr link for details. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ontarian/4539983428/

That's amazing. so the only modification required is the removal of the focus stop pin?

any mirror trouble?

Apr 22, 2010 at 06:18 AM
edmika

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

On my crop body 7D no issues and on my 1D3 1.3 crop the aperture lever grazed a bit of the plastic adjacent to body connection pins but no mirror issues, I don't know on full frame. For this lens in my opinion a crop body is really the best usage fit anyway. I'm making a 3rd generation prototype adapter that keeps a 0.8mm flange to move the aperture lever back and to give me back the camera body locking feature. I'm not sure if this will still keep me at infinity. If not I've got some ideas on a locking feature that mounts and locks with a screw on the inside portion of the ef body mount so the body would become an FD mount first and then attach to the lens.

Apr 24, 2010 at 02:57 AM
cameron12x
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · canon fd 800mm 5.6 L

I imagine that FD-mount 800mm f/5.6L lenses probably don't come up for sale very often.

Does anyone know how they have priced in the used market? What was the original MSRP?

Dec 13, 2010 at 01:32 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password