Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2010 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

Strad
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

A late entry. Usually in photographing a Stradivarius violin one tries to minimize or eliminate all shine - a trick that is VERY difficult to do. Here, I wasn't constrained by that, though and just opened up the window to get nice direct sunlight on my violin and the wooden table it was on. I hope you like it!

OK - here's the full color version. I also re cropped it to give it a tad more space.

Edited on Feb 17, 2010 at 05:33 AM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:29 AM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

Shiny indeed Endre and well shot, but I can't help feeling that a colour version would give it a more mood and richness.

Feb 17, 2010 at 02:14 AM
tinamarie52
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

I, too, would love to see the rich colors of this. But I do like the textures and reflections that might become lost or diminished in the color version. Nice!

chris

Feb 17, 2010 at 02:32 AM
CDalessandro
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

I would love to hear you play this amazing instrument...if it sounds as pretty as it looks...bravo Endre...I must say I would be interested in seeing this in color to.
regards,
Carolyn

Feb 17, 2010 at 02:59 AM
nlamendo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

Hello Endre,
This is quite a classically beautiful shot. The b/w conversion shows a great range of tones and highlights the reflection on the table. A lovely shot of a thing of beauty.
-Nick

Feb 17, 2010 at 03:05 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

Thanks, bill, I took your good suggestion and posted a color and somewhat recropped version. I hope you like it better.

All the best,

Endre

Bill Sutherland wrote:
Shiny indeed Endre and well shot, but I can't help feeling that a colour version would give it a more mood and richness.

Feb 17, 2010 at 05:34 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

Thanks, Chris. Here is the color version. I have a B & W version over at the B & W Forum for your comparison. I'm glad you like it!

All the best,

Endre

tinamarie52 wrote:
I, too, would love to see the rich colors of this. But I do like the textures and reflections that might become lost or diminished in the color version. Nice!

chris

Feb 17, 2010 at 05:35 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

Thanks, Carolyn. Your wish is my command. Color it is.

I am a MUCH better violinist than I am a photographer. Someday, I do hope you can hear me perform.

All the best,

Endre

CDalessandro wrote:
I would love to hear you play this amazing instrument...if it sounds as pretty as it looks...bravo Endre...I must say I would be interested in seeing this in color to.
regards,
Carolyn

Feb 17, 2010 at 05:36 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

Thanks, Nick, my friend! I'm so glad you like it. I hope you will like this color version, too. I do find that often detail gets lost when viewing in color, which is, I think, why my B & W flower shots are so successful.

Fond regards,

Endre

nlamendo wrote:
Hello Endre,
This is quite a classically beautiful shot. The b/w conversion shows a great range of tones and highlights the reflection on the table. A lovely shot of a thing of beauty.
-Nick

Feb 17, 2010 at 05:38 AM
Benedictine
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

THE Strad is back! Havn't seen it for a while, thanks for letting us see it again Endre my friend, I love the visual tones of this image.

L & P

Andrew-Bede

Feb 17, 2010 at 06:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

Hi, Andrew-Bede, my dear friend! I was just thinking of you today and wondering how all was going at your end of the world. We haven't been much in touch, of late. Must fix that.

I can only shoot the Strad when the topic lends itself to it. Last weeks topic - Wet - wouldn't have been very good for the Strad at all. I'm so glad you like this.

L & P,

Endre

Benedictine wrote:
THE Strad is back! Havn't seen it for a while, thanks for letting us see it again Endre my friend, I love the visual tones of this image.

L & P

Andrew-Bede

Feb 17, 2010 at 07:24 AM
tinamarie52
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

Strad...night and day. I love it!

chris

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:55 PM
CDalessandro
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

As Chris said..Night and day...I prefer this ...a beauty indeed. And now it is all over except for the count.
Carolyn

Feb 17, 2010 at 02:18 PM
jess8026

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

Kudos, Strad. I haven't decided if I like the B&W or color best---they are both so
lovely. I am in awe of the instrument. Wish I had seen the image before the crop for comparison, but from the comments, I'm sure the revised crop would be my preference.
All my best,
Janice

Feb 17, 2010 at 02:57 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

Strad wrote:
I am a MUCH better violinist than I am a photographer.

I'm delighter to meet you Mr. Heifetz.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 17, 2010 at 03:25 PM
kmease
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

Hello Endre,

Yet another stunning shot, very nice. I love the detail, the shine, the subtle reflection, AND...

I took a stroll over to the B&W's and saw the original. Hmmm, it is a tough choice as they both certainly have their own powerful traits to them.

Best Regards,
Kurt

Feb 17, 2010 at 04:05 PM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

Thanks, Chris. We aim to please.

All the best,

Endre

tinamarie52 wrote:
Strad...night and day. I love it!

chris

Feb 18, 2010 at 09:44 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

Thanks for the confident assumption but it seems that this shot is not quite in the running. Next time...

All the best,

Endre

CDalessandro wrote:
As Chris said..Night and day...I prefer this ...a beauty indeed. And now it is all over except for the count.
Carolyn

Feb 18, 2010 at 09:46 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

Thanks, Janice, my friend! I always appreciate your kind comments! It was cropped too tight so that I had a little of the bottom cut off and nothing of the neck So now you see more if it.

Warm regards,

Endre

.jess8026 wrote:
Kudos, Strad. I haven't decided if I like the B&W or color best---they are both so
lovely. I am in awe of the instrument. Wish I had seen the image before the crop for comparison, but from the comments, I'm sure the revised crop would be my preference.
All my best,
Janice

Feb 18, 2010 at 09:47 AM
Strad
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · #384 Shiny Wood - Stradivarius on Table

I did say those very words to him when I was quite small. I was 11 or 12 and he called up to our house to say that he had heard about me and wanted to hear me. So, I went over to his house a few days late and played for him. He wanted me to immediately join his Master Class but he was not known as a particularly good teacher and my Mom had the wisdom to keep me studying with the teacher I had. He was very nice to me but was an extraordinarily peculiar and even troubled man. One helluva brilliant violinist, though!

Warm regards,

Endre

Yakim Peled wrote:
I'm delighter to meet you Mr. Heifetz.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 18, 2010 at 09:52 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password