Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2010 · #384 snow crystal

nlamendo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · #384 snow crystal

New image, this one I took tonight, 02/12/10. I should have remembered when the WA starts and not posted the earlier image that was taken last Sunday. I agree that a big part of the WA is trying to take a good shot in the short time that a week allows, and it should be taken after the WA starts. Thanks to all who reminded me of this.

I think this would be classified as a stellar dendrite with sectored plate extensions. This shot taken w/ dark-field illumination which causes the snow flake to light up like it was cut glass. The snow tonight wasn't that good I may try for a better crystal later.
Thanks for looking.
-Nick

Edited on Feb 13, 2010 at 07:02 AM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2010 at 03:33 AM
tinamarie52
• • •
p.1 #2 · #384 snow crystal

I got my microscope out during the snow last weekend. Would you be willing to share how you took this image? I haven't quite figured out what I need to connect my camera to the ocular....unless I need a special 'scope camera.

Nice capture.

Chris

Feb 11, 2010 at 04:07 AM
nlamendo
• • •
p.1 #3 · #384 snow crystal

tinamarie52 wrote:
I got my microscope out during the snow last weekend. Would you be willing to share how you took this image? I haven't quite figured out what I need to connect my camera to the ocular....unless I need a special 'scope camera.

Nice capture.

Chris

Thanks Chris. You don't want to use the microscope eyepiece as the magnification will be too high and the field of view too small. I'm using just a 4x objective. I use a microscope to camera T-thread adapter. It slides over the microscope's 25mm eyepiece tube and has a T-thread fitting on the other side. This connects to a T-Thread adapter for your camera. The microscope and glass slides have to be kept cold, I keep mine in an unheated garage. The best temps are under 20 degrees F, any higher and the crystals melt before I can focus and take a picture. Lighting is from underneath, an opaque disk blocking the center of the light source will give you dark field illumination. Hope this helps. There's a lot of good info on the web. Oh, and you have to be a little patient and wait for good snow to fall, not every snow fall leads to good snow crystals to photograph. Good luck. -Nick

Feb 11, 2010 at 04:19 AM
Hightraxx
• • • •
p.1 #4 · #384 snow crystal

Lovely shot, I think that you are a little late for the weekly assignment if it was shot on the 7th didn't the new one just start today or am I missing something. Anyways its a wonderful shot

Norm

Feb 11, 2010 at 05:45 AM
af120835
• • •
p.1 #5 · #384 snow crystal

It is a lovely shot, probably one one of the best shots I've seen of a single snowflake! Nicely captured.

Not sure about the shot date though.

@ Hightraxx I've seen a few shots shot out of the assignment date, but somehow some slip past whatever Fred has put in to verify the EXIF data. There must be a bug somewhere. Once I posted a shot, I was told I couldn't because the EXIF data said it was too old (PC set to wrong year!) so it does work, occasionally!

Andy

Feb 11, 2010 at 08:57 AM
Philly Rains
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · #384 snow crystal

Beautiful! I've never seen anything like it, and it's awe inspiring.

Feb 11, 2010 at 09:41 AM
Chad Schulz
• • •
p.1 #7 · #384 snow crystal

Brilliant photo.

Personally I think the WA entries need to be taken within the time frame of that week. The whole purpose of the WAs is to challenge us to achieve results within that period. If we allow shots from before the beginning of that WA we open up a can of worms. Allowing photos from people archives would defeat the intent of this forum.

Just my opinion,
Chad

Feb 11, 2010 at 09:45 AM
nlamendo
• • •
p.1 #8 · #384 snow crystal

Hightraxx wrote:
Lovely shot, I think that you are a little late for the weekly assignment if it was shot on the 7th didn't the new one just start today or am I missing something. Anyways its a wonderful shot

Norm

Thanks Norm,
I wasn't sure when the WA assignment started that's why I mentioned the date in the first line. I'm not trying to sneak anything in past anyone. We are expecting flurries the next few days so I try for another shot. If that doesn't happen I'll remove this.
Thanks for looking anyways.
-Nick

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:47 AM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #9 · #384 snow crystal

Nick, this is fantastic!!!!! Wow. Thanks for sharing.

Edited on Feb 12, 2010 at 05:17 AM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2010 at 04:05 AM
Hightraxx
• • • •
p.1 #10 · #384 snow crystal

It happens,it has nothing to do with the shot its lovely but I agree with Chad and my other statement. Maybe they should show the date starting and ending even after the week is over so they can check to see if their shot is after the deadline. Hope you can get another shot.

Norm

Feb 12, 2010 at 04:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Shutterslam
• •
p.1 #11 · #384 snow crystal

sooo....shiny...

that's an incredible photo - well done!

Feb 12, 2010 at 05:13 AM
eager
• •
p.1 #12 · #384 snow crystal

What a beautiful thing.

To me it looks both "wet' and "shiny".....so I say leave it here for whatever WA you like

-eager

Feb 12, 2010 at 02:57 PM
eager
• •
p.1 #13 · #384 snow crystal

Oh, wait....I get it now.....

It was shot during "wet' but posted during "shiny".....oh well.

-eager

Feb 12, 2010 at 02:59 PM
nlamendo
• • •
p.1 #14 · #384 snow crystal

af120835 wrote:
It is a lovely shot, probably one one of the best shots I've seen of a single snowflake! Nicely captured.

Not sure about the shot date though.

@ Hightraxx I've seen a few shots shot out of the assignment date, but somehow some slip past whatever Fred has put in to verify the EXIF data. There must be a bug somewhere. Once I posted a shot, I was told I couldn't because the EXIF data said it was too old (PC set to wrong year!) so it does work, occasionally!

Andy

Hi Andy, I've posted a different shot, similar subject, just one I took tonight.
Thanks
-Nick

Feb 13, 2010 at 07:03 AM
nlamendo
• • •
p.1 #15 · #384 snow crystal

Chad Schulz wrote:
Brilliant photo.

Personally I think the WA entries need to be taken within the time frame of that week. The whole purpose of the WAs is to challenge us to achieve results within that period. If we allow shots from before the beginning of that WA we open up a can of worms. Allowing photos from people archives would defeat the intent of this forum.

Just my opinion,
Chad

I agree with you Chad, thanks for reminding me of this. I've posted a new shot taken tonight 02/12/10. It started snowing in the middle of the Olympics opening ceremony, and instead of watching them inside where it's warm, I was out in the cold for 3 hours trying to get a good shot.
-Nick

Edited on Feb 13, 2010 at 07:18 AM · View previous versions

Feb 13, 2010 at 07:10 AM
nlamendo
• • •
p.1 #16 · #384 snow crystal

Beverly Guhl wrote:
Nick, this is fantastic!!!!! Wow. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Bev,
I hope you feel the same way about my new image.
-Nick

Feb 13, 2010 at 07:11 AM
nlamendo
• • •
p.1 #17 · #384 snow crystal

Shutterslam wrote:
sooo....shiny...

that's an incredible photo - well done!

Thank You.
-Nick

Feb 13, 2010 at 07:11 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · #384 snow crystal

eager wrote:
What a beautiful thing.

To me it looks both "wet' and "shiny".....so I say leave it here for whatever WA you like

-eager

Who cares? It's a beautiful pic whatever you look at it.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 13, 2010 at 09:26 PM
nlamendo
• • •
p.1 #19 · #384 snow crystal

Yakim Peled wrote:
Who cares? It's a beautiful pic whatever you look at it.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Thanks Yakim, the picture now meets the criteria to be a valid WA entry. Lucky for me mother nature makes a lot of beautiful snow flakes.
-Nick

Feb 13, 2010 at 11:09 PM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
p.1 #20 · #384 snow crystal

Natures patterns are best. Kudos for bringing this to or screens.

Feb 15, 2010 at 06:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password