Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2010 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

I purchased one of those Canon/Optech straps that CPS gives away to it's members and I really love it. I went to buy a regular Optech just like the Canon version but the ones I saw weren't exactly the same (similar but not the same). The Optech straps that I saw were 'spongy-type' neoprene material while the CPS version is more solid feeling (which I prefer)...Does anyone know if Optech sells the same exact type that they supply to Canon CPS (and what's the model name/version)?

Omar

Feb 11, 2010 at 01:27 AM
jbfaulconer
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

The canon straps that come with CPS membership I'm a little scared of. They have those clips built into the straps, I think it would just take a moment for someone to hit that strap and release that clip. Not too excited about my Mark IV hitting the ground with a large clunk. At least the cheapo canon straps can't be released.

Feb 11, 2010 at 01:33 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

Where did you purchase it?

In Australia CPS gives these Canon Crumpler Straps

Feb 11, 2010 at 01:34 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

Dawei Ye wrote:
Where did you purchase it?

In Australia CPS gives these Canon Crumpler Straps

From a local guy ($10)...guess he's a CPS member and didn't want the strap.

Omar

Feb 11, 2010 at 01:36 AM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

If it looks like this it's just the one marketed as the Optach Pro loop. This link is to the version sold with the POTN logo but it's the standard version with silk screening. I've got a pair of them and they are very comfortable plus priced right for what they are

http://www.procameragear.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/30/products_id/141

The Crumpler Industry Disgrace is also a very comfortable strap but it doesn't have the quick release clips, WHICH I do feel a bit concerned about even though there have been a lot of messages at POTN assuring people that they don't release on their own. A couple of tie wraps can be added easily, or remove the clips & use a key ring etc in their place if still worried.

Feb 11, 2010 at 02:47 AM
mlee

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

This is the strap that comes with CPS membership, without the CPS logo:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387597-REG/OP_TECH_USA_3501252_Utility_Strap_3_8_.html

Feb 11, 2010 at 03:47 AM
Roland W
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

I have been using Op/Tech straps with their quick connect clips for many years now, and with a lot of heavy use at times. I have never had any issue with them in any way, and trust them to hold even my 300 f2.8 L IS and my 1Dmk3 supported by the lugs on the lens while doing some fast moving about. I have never had the quick release come even half un clipped, but even if it does, it still will hold a lot of load with just one side engaged.

Feb 11, 2010 at 04:15 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

FWIW I have quite a few high-end guitars. I've used Schaller straplocks and also Dimarzio clip locks.

I've NEVER once had a clip-lock fail on me on a guitar with all of the antics I've done playing.

Also go to youtube and type in yngwie malmsteen live. Watch that cooky bastige play.

I know it's much gear and not camera gear, but I'm only talking about the clip locks. I've never had one fail.

Feb 11, 2010 at 05:23 AM
kidtexas
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

I've never had the quick release clips on my OpTech go. Mine need a lot of pressure to release in fact.

Feb 11, 2010 at 05:25 AM
MSC
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

RobertLynn wrote:
FWIW I have quite a few high-end guitars. I've used Schaller straplocks and also Dimarzio clip locks.

I've NEVER once had a clip-lock fail on me on a guitar with all of the antics I've done playing.

Also go to youtube and type in yngwie malmsteen live. Watch that cooky bastige play.

I know it's much gear and not camera gear, but I'm only talking about the clip locks. I've never had one fail.

That's a good endorsement...do you use the straps themselves on cameras?

Feb 11, 2010 at 05:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

I've used optechs for years also with no problems at all. The nylon wears a bit where it attaches to the camera, but I just move it move the wear point a bit every now and then so it doesn't become a problem.

Feb 11, 2010 at 06:10 AM
Derek
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

Yeah, our Aussie CPS Custom Crumpler straps are Awesome, way better than the optecs you guy's are getting

Feb 11, 2010 at 06:36 AM
solock

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

Those straps listed by cipoco and mlee are NOT the cps strap.
The CPS strap is a slightly different material in the pad area, the edging is slightly different (more rigid?) and the ends that connect to the camera are a slip loop nylon, 1/3 the width of the normal webbing/plastic slide through strap style.

Not sure of the slip loop over the long term though, and I think it will wear quicker... But it is different than anything retail or otherwise from optech.

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:26 PM
David Manning
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

Not at all like the straps you guys are talking about, but I just bought a Wapiti Strap. It's awesome, and since I'm not paid to advertise for Canon, it's especially appealing.

Feb 11, 2010 at 02:44 PM
Beau Arnold
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

The optech straps are the best camera strap I have ever used. Quite comfortable and easy to adjust.

Feb 11, 2010 at 02:55 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

BlackRapid RS5 > *

Feb 11, 2010 at 03:27 PM
RobAmy
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

32067dlm wrote:
Not at all like the straps you guys are talking about, but I just bought a Wapiti Strap. It's awesome, and since I'm not paid to advertise for Canon, it's especially appealing.

So your paid to advertise Wapiti straps. Silly comment really. I use canon gear and I am fine if it says canon seeing how if more people buy them then they stay in business. This goes for any product not just canon.

Feb 11, 2010 at 03:36 PM
mlee

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

solock wrote:

The strap I received from CPS (March 2009) is identical in every aspect to the one in the B&H link I posted above.

...And it took several purchases/returns from B&H to get it right.

Mike

Feb 11, 2010 at 05:02 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

solock wrote:

mlee wrote:
The strap I received from CPS (March 2009) is identical in every aspect to the one in the B&H link I posted above.

...And it took several purchases/returns from B&H to get it right.

Mike

Thanks Mike, your link looks exactly like the CPS strap except for the style of QR attachment. The CPS strap (that I purchased) has the 'Pro-Loop' connecters & the one in your link has the 'Webbing' connectors...but that's not important to me. I like the 'Utility Strap' version (CPS strap) because I wear it over the shoulder & across my chest and the Utility Strap slides easily as I lift the camera, where as the regular Optech 'Pro-Strap' is meant to go over the shoulder (like a purse) so it 'sticks' too much and doesn't slide like the Utility Strap. Thanks all!

Omar

Feb 11, 2010 at 05:16 PM
David Manning
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · CPS Canon/Optech strap

RobAmy wrote:
So your paid to advertise Wapiti straps. Silly comment really. I use canon gear and I am fine if it says canon seeing how if more people buy them then they stay in business. This goes for any product not just canon.

No, only paid by clients. The Wapiti strap is a great strap. That's all. If Canon is relying on their name being on their straps, the company is in dire trouble. There are many photographers who don't want to be a billboard for their camera manufacturer. There are many who wish Canon's telephoto lenses weren't white. Here are a few quotes I've collected to illustrate my point. Maybe my comment was silly.

n0b0 wrote:
Can it be any more bling than having a big CANON or NIKON sewn around your strap?

deepbluejh wrote:
Ideally less bling.

andrewd01 wrote:
The latest Nikon straps are particularly bad. Massive yellow letters screaming the camera model, the fact that its FX etc etc. I had to dig up some of my old straps that were much more subtle.

anthonyket wrote:
In Canons wise wisdom, they realise that anyone touting a 1D MKIV probably does not give a damn whether the straps self proclaim model type or not.

dolina wrote:
Still the lovely shade of golden pink. It reminds me of cheap nail polish.

Coming from a 5D2 I was worried that the 1D4's strap will scream "rob me, rob me, rob me"

xrayvision wrote:
I never use the camera makers strap. Better ones are available. Canon/Nikon aren't paying me to advertise for them so no way I'll use their strap.

picfox wrote:
@ dolina
I'm sure you can get a customized one - just make sure 1D Mark IV is on it and maybe the sufficient T-shirt to match with the camera strap.

RobertLynn wrote:
I'd rather the strap have no logo on it.

AbramG wrote:
My 5DmkII strap says "5D markII" on it. Because of this it stays in the box
I used to use the Stock strap on my 1 series bodies, it's actually been the same since the 1DmkII (the Black and Red). I switched to Domke straps a few years ago and I just move them from body to body. I've got a black one on my 5D and a Dark Green and brown one on my 1D, dunno why I like it, but I do

I'd be keen on trying the Thinktank straps though.

Feb 11, 2010 at 05:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password