Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2010 · #383 Submerged Bobber

James Markus
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · #383 Submerged Bobber

Still a tribute shot to Viper Mike's WA #317 winner, and one of my favorite images on FM.

EDIT Tweaked the bobber top

Edited on Feb 10, 2010 at 12:17 AM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2010 at 01:56 AM
Brent Ward
• • • •
p.1 #2 · #383 Submerged Bobber

Very nice!

Feb 09, 2010 at 02:00 AM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · #383 Submerged Bobber

I remember it clearly and you've done well to replicate it, although I have to say he's a difficult act to follow . Mike was the greatest IMHO. Good luck this week.

Feb 09, 2010 at 03:12 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #4 · #383 Submerged Bobber

Bill, I did have the bobber under the water and lit it differently, but it clearly inspired my shot. Your "was" comment is really why I am responding....did I miss something about Viper Mike?

Edited on Feb 09, 2010 at 03:29 AM · View previous versions

Feb 09, 2010 at 03:28 AM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #5 · #383 Submerged Bobber

Thank you Brent!

Feb 09, 2010 at 03:29 AM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #6 · #383 Submerged Bobber

James... I remember Mikes bobber shot. This one is very nice as well!

Feb 09, 2010 at 03:45 AM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
p.1 #7 · #383 Submerged Bobber

James Markus wrote:
Bill, I did have the bobber under the water and lit it differently, but it clearly inspired my shot. Your "was" comment is really why I am responding....did I miss something about Viper Mike?

In overall terms I believe Mike was and still is the greatest photographer I have seen on this forum. His technique and imagination produced images which were mostly a cut above everyone else. I presume he's still around somewhere but I've neither heard nor seen anything of him in some months now.

Feb 09, 2010 at 05:55 AM
Steven Roberts
• • •
p.1 #8 · #383 Submerged Bobber

I think mikes steps away to give us all chances to grow. Once he see's this, he will return to bring it all back to square one!! He is not gone, I am sure he is watching

steve r

Feb 09, 2010 at 07:07 AM
tinamarie52
• • •
p.1 #9 · #383 Submerged Bobber

James, I really like the shot.

But, I have a question...as a newbie. Is it considered flttery or not when someone copies your image set up? I know on FM, James is paying tirbute and I'm good with that. But out beyond FM how would this type of activity be viewed?

I learn a lot from others images and try to reproduce lighting that I like or comp that speaks to me. But, are there rubicons not to be crossed?

BTW, I really missed learning from Mike and Dave Nitsche's shots. I PMd Mike a while back to check on him and got no answer.

Chris

Feb 09, 2010 at 01:52 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #10 · #383 Submerged Bobber

Chris,
If I go out and shoot the exact same image that another photographer did - it is a copyright infringement. Things like this happen even by accident...lets say a particular view of the New York city skyline for example. Recently, someone here on FM tried to do a version of fire and ice like I had done a while back. I've had people ask my how I lit it, and drawn them diagrams so they can shoot their own version. I didn't consider it anything other than a compliment. Besides, there is precious few things that are truly new or original in this world. Many bobber shots exist that I have never even seen...as do fire and ice images. I try and learn from anyone I can - pro or talented amateur is irrelevant to me.

To address the "copy the image set up"...If I critic my own image the differences are these...Bobber position relative to the water, angle of view is higher, three light sources versus one, less negative space...but, it is a variation on a theme that I admired in Mike's version/composition, and I admitted it openly. I did something like this about a year ago one of Dave Nitsche's images, and also said so up front.

My intent is pay them a compliment, but if it is seen as stealing an idea - then I will remove the image. You guys let me know - I have til midnight to pull it down.

Feb 09, 2010 at 02:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CDalessandro
• • • •
p.1 #11 · #383 Submerged Bobber

Great image James...really well done.

I totally agree with Steven with his words exactly..my feeling is Mike (Viper) gets bored with his winnings since he would much prefer to have some real challenge from us.
Carolyn

Feb 09, 2010 at 02:36 PM
BearTD
• •
p.1 #12 · #383 Submerged Bobber

Nicely done James and you should let it stay up. Maybe if Mike and Dave are watching they will get the bug to start posting again. I always enjoyed the creativeity of those two as well as all the others who post. Again let it up.
Gary

Feb 09, 2010 at 03:20 PM
tinamarie52
• • •
p.1 #13 · #383 Submerged Bobber

James.... leave the image up.

My question was a question; not a criticism. I am very new to photography and to these forums. I don't know the ettiquette, mores and culture of the photography world. I'm trying to learn what lines have been drawn in the sand. I don't want to cross them accidentally.

I agree that there are a lot of similar images out there. After I made my comments, I looked at one of Dave Nitsche's sites. I found an image that was very similar to some that I have been taking of wine glasses. Neither of us copied each other.

Your image gave me a chance to simply ask the question. Perhaps it would have been better in another forum. I didn't intend to offend you.

Mea culpa, if this hijacked your thread.

Chris

Feb 09, 2010 at 03:51 PM
Brent Ward
• • • •
p.1 #14 · #383 Submerged Bobber

Seems to be a lot of controversy stirring on this challenge. It's similar, but different enough for me.

Feb 09, 2010 at 04:11 PM
James Markus
• • • •
p.1 #15 · #383 Submerged Bobber

Well, I had other ideas to pursue - so I did. Hope you'all like it.

Feb 09, 2010 at 07:24 PM
CDalessandro
• • • •
p.1 #16 · #383 Submerged Bobber

James, Actually I like this one better...Well done!

Carolyn

Feb 09, 2010 at 07:26 PM
Steven Roberts
• • •
p.1 #17 · #383 Submerged Bobber

I don't think mike would mind at all. I think he would be happy to see a good entry regardless if he shot it himself. I mean it's not like he was the first one to do that either and sure he got the idea from somewhere. I like them both but appreciate the first one because of the respect to mike's great work!

Steve R

Feb 09, 2010 at 11:04 PM
Bill Sutherland
• • • •
p.1 #18 · #383 Submerged Bobber

I prefer the new one myself. Anyone who can produce an image like this is very good indeed.

Feb 09, 2010 at 11:39 PM
Beverly Guhl
• • • •
p.1 #19 · #383 Submerged Bobber

Beautifully done. For me, the challenge lies in the creativity and coming up with original concepts. It's a gorgeous image though, and shows your technical skills very well.

Feb 10, 2010 at 01:11 AM
tinamarie52
• • •
p.1 #20 · #383 Submerged Bobber

It's both a nice tribute and a good shot. I like this one even better.

Chris

Feb 10, 2010 at 02:56 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password