Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              51       52       end

Archive 2010 · C/y 35-70 thread

jotdeh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · C/y 35-70 thread

Contax/Yashica mount Zeiss 35-70/3.4

Mar 16, 2010 at 05:02 PM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.4 #2 · C/y 35-70 thread

hi,
nothing at ebay, so what is a good price for the zeiss 35-70/3.4?
would 400 euro be ok?

Mar 17, 2010 at 06:52 AM
jotdeh
• • •
p.4 #3 · C/y 35-70 thread

EUR 400 would be a good price if I sold you mine Mine came with minor cosmetic wear and cheap C/Y adapter, and I paid SGD 500 = EUR 250.

Mar 17, 2010 at 07:10 AM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.4 #4 · C/y 35-70 thread

hi,
thx for clear answer.

Mar 17, 2010 at 08:10 AM
philber
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · C/y 35-70 thread

My abject apologies for misusing your noble language, Richard!

Mar 17, 2010 at 09:23 AM
prashant
• •
p.4 #6 · C/y 35-70 thread

brainiac wrote:
Yes, but which superlative? Surely not grammaticalest. ;-)

I see. UK.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.4 #7 · C/y 35-70 thread

Daniel,
I guess I am lucky to be in a position to not care too much about lens ergonomics, doing mostly tripod work. It's just a matter of composing/ setting FL, do focus, use M mode and check exposure, wind down to f8, click to set correct s/speed and fire away. Check histo, re-shoot 2/3 of a stop up/down. I can usually take my time.

I can see the one ring combo not being great for fast handholding setup, though.

I found an MTF paper today for this one...it's *very obvious* why the 35-70 delivers! It weighs 475 grams - also found the macro goes to 1:2.5, so very useful in this 'tripod' kind of lens.

And, the guys posting the images in this thread here: shot a range of subject matter, in a variety of light conditions, different FLs/macro, perhaps using a range of bodies, and no doubt very different RCs and PP routines. See my point? They all deliver the *same look*, and I find it very appealing, as I am sure will the proverbial 'impartial observers' a.k.a clients!

For this exercise, I am not looking at the images for artistic qualities or 'excellence' in composition, execution, etc. Just the look, and what it can do with my subject matter. That is my major basis for any lens purchase decision, plus weight/size. I'll add that the last say, 5% of image quality (as generally understood here) is secondary to the total image appearance for good compositions and how much work is needed in post, to me. The great lenses largely do the heavy lifting by themselves, I find. All just an opinion, of course.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:46 AM
Ulff
• • •
p.4 #8 · C/y 35-70 thread

What hasn't been mentioned yet, I think: another area where the Zeiss 35-70 is excellent is its resistence to flare. Since I encountered serious flare problems with Canons 24-105L in long time exposures with bright light sources, I use almost always my Zeiss for this kind of shoots:

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:03 PM
Andreas Resch

p.4 #9 · C/y 35-70 thread

Hello!

The 35-70mm is my favorite lens on my 5DMII. With the Live View now it's a great thing to work with.
Here are some of my shots take with that lens ...

Cheers,
Andreas

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:34 PM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.4 #10 · C/y 35-70 thread

wow!
great!

what orange twirls are there in the second picture?

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Andreas Resch

p.4 #11 · C/y 35-70 thread

rsrsrs wrote:
wow!
great!

what orange twirls are there in the second picture?

Hi!

These are autumn leaves caught in that area of the creek. In the long exposure their movement becomes more visible.

Cheers,
Andreas

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:43 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · C/y 35-70 thread

Andreas, welcome to FM, and congratulations on great shots. The first and third ones are definite wall-hangers IMHO.

Mar 17, 2010 at 02:21 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · C/y 35-70 thread

brainiac wrote:
;-) Just kidding. It does sound funny though, since you might have meant the superlatives grimmest, dullest, poorest, crappiest, and worst. When the specific meaning of a word like superlative gets corrupted simply because it has more syllables than other words with the desired meaning, like super, superb, supreme and finest, then people end up in contortions trying to say what superlative used to mean. Marxism may be winning but I'm not going down without a fight. If you don't understand why I associate the coarsening of language with Marxism then read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak . The worker will need few words
...Show more

Actually, I thought that one could use "superlative" to mean "of great quality", as in the following example from the Collins dictionary:
superlative (superlatives plural )
1 adj If you describe something as superlative, you mean that it is extremely good.
Some superlative wines are made in this region..., The Regent hotel has a superlative view of Hong Kong island.

Mar 17, 2010 at 02:30 PM
Daniel Heineck
• • •
p.4 #14 · C/y 35-70 thread

Philip--don't mean to slight the lens at all--were I to do a lot more tripod work, the lens would once again appeal to my style. Mine is much more run and gun. If it works for you, there's no doubt that the optic is quite wonderful and capable. I could probably add a few superlatives here but I'll resist.

I have some photos at home which show off it's ability that I need to print. They do exhibit that certain "zeissness" that is well enjoyed on this forum.

The last part of my comment about the photographers was merely to compliment the group posting photos. I'm pretty sure they could make a coke bottle shoot great.

Mar 17, 2010 at 05:57 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · C/y 35-70 thread

Nah, not really, a Coke bottle has focus shift, don't you know that?

Mar 17, 2010 at 06:10 PM
Z250SA
• • •
p.4 #16 · C/y 35-70 thread

philber wrote:
...a Coke bottle has focus shift...

So with those we stop down and focus in live view! Now, is cockiness or pepsiness better?

Mar 17, 2010 at 07:17 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.4 #17 · C/y 35-70 thread

Andreas Resch wrote:

Hello!

The 35-70mm is my favorite lens on my 5DMII. With the Live View now it's a great thing to work with.
Here are some of my shots take with that lens ...

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs44/f/2009/166/c/7/The_Majestic_One_by_AndreasResch.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/310/7/a/Triglav___Mostnica_Twirl_by_AndreasResch.jpg

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/046/f/3/Plitvice_NP___Veliki_Slap_by_AndreasResch.jpg

Cheers,
Andreas

With images like this, you should be posting more than 3 times in 3 years!

Mar 18, 2010 at 04:00 AM
Andreas Resch

p.4 #18 · C/y 35-70 thread

With images like this, you should be posting more than 3 times in 3 years!

I'm glad you like the images. Posting is all a matter of time and I don't have too much of it. Once I post, I want to follow and participate and that's not always possible. I'm reading threads here quite often though and this is one of the best forums around.

In this case I just felt that I had to show what a lovely lense the 35-70mm is.

Here's another one taken with the 35-70mm which shows the resolution and depth (5DMII, f/16, ISO100).

Take care,
Andreas

Mar 18, 2010 at 08:19 AM
prashant
• •
p.4 #19 · C/y 35-70 thread

hi Andreas,
Welcome here. Hope to see more. Any new trip planned in austria?

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:46 AM
Andreas Resch

p.4 #20 · C/y 35-70 thread

prashant wrote:
hi Andreas,
Welcome here. Hope to see more. Any new trip planned in austria?

We had some new snow here in the last few days so a snowshoe trip is quite possible within the next few days. It all depends on weather and avalanche situation.

Cheers,
Andreas

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:17 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password