Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

Hi every one,
Can I use Sigma 500/4.5 with Nikon Tc 1.4 and 1.7? for Nikon D3 and D300

Jan 29, 2010 at 04:13 PM
Chris_Platt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

No, they won't mount on a Sigma lens.

Jan 29, 2010 at 06:23 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

Nope. Need Sigma TCs.

Jan 29, 2010 at 06:42 PM
moffo
• •
p.1 #4 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

You can if you perform a simple modification on the teleconverter that involves removing a tiny tab. No big deal.

Won't autofocus all that great, though -- a bit dim, especially the 1.7, which I have used.

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:16 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

Thank you all. Knowing what I now know, I would buy Nikon 500/4. To save by buying Sigma, one would have to spend all $$ to buy new TCs and would have two set of TCs to go any where. Thanks, no thanks, Sigma.
Bob

Jan 30, 2010 at 04:31 AM
moffo
• •
p.1 #6 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

No, really, I have the Sigma with Nikon TCs and it's great. Same surgery on the TCs that you'll need to mount 'em on the 'unsupported' Nikon lenses. And the focusing with the Nikkor 500 will still be iffy with tc's.

Jan 30, 2010 at 06:23 PM
Chris_Platt
• • •
p.1 #7 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

nugeny wrote:
Thank you all. Knowing what I now know, I would buy Nikon 500/4. To save by buying Sigma, one would have to spend all $$ to buy new TCs and would have two set of TCs to go any where. Thanks, no thanks, Sigma.
Bob

I don't understand the logic here. You would buy an $8,500 Nikon lens instead of the Sigma $4600 lens to avoid spending a few hundred dollars for new TC's for the Sigma? If you prefer the Nikon for the quality, that is understandable (though the Sigma is a very good lens), but if you are purchasing the Nikon just to avoid spending money on Sigma TCs, that is strange math.

Jan 30, 2010 at 08:04 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

Not as strange as it seems. Imagine to slug around two sets of TCs. one for Nikon, one for Sigma. That one reason alone convinces me to stay 100% Nikon.

Chris_Platt wrote:
I don't understand the logic here. You would buy an $8,500 Nikon lens instead of the Sigma $4600 lens to avoid spending a few hundred dollars for new TC's for the Sigma? If you prefer the Nikon for the quality, that is understandable (though the Sigma is a very good lens), but if you are purchasing the Nikon just to avoid spending money on Sigma TCs, that is strange math.

Jan 31, 2010 at 03:36 AM
rag1

p.1 #9 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

I have the Sigma 500mm f4.5 HSM. I use it on both a D200 and D700, usually with a modified Nikon TC14E (tab removed). Autofocus works well with the TC14E, especially with the D700 for BIF, and even in dim NW winter light (OK, what light?). IQ is good at f4.8 with the TC14E, very good at f5.6, and superb at f6.7.

I also have the TC17E (tab removed), and it hunts excessively with both bodies. IQ is not so good.

IMHO the Sigma 500mm 4.5 plus TC14E is a very cost effective solution, especially if you buy used. Just my experience. YMMV.

Rick

Jan 31, 2010 at 03:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

That is interesting.
two questions if you don't mind:
1--after you remove the "tab". can you still use the tc for Nikon lenses., such as 70-200/2.8?
2- would you mind posting a picture of the tc with the tab removed?
Thanks

rag1 wrote:
I have the Sigma 500mm f4.5 HSM. I use it on both a D200 and D700, usually with a modified Nikon TC14E (tab removed). Autofocus works well with the TC14E, especially with the D700 for BIF, and even in dim NW winter light (OK, what light?). IQ is good at f4.8 with the TC14E, very good at f5.6, and superb at f6.7.

I also have the TC17E (tab removed), and it hunts excessively with both bodies. IQ is not so good.

IMHO the Sigma 500mm 4.5 plus TC14E is a very cost effective solution, especially if you buy used. Just my
...Show more

Jan 31, 2010 at 04:11 AM
rag1

p.1 #11 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

I use my modified TC14E and TC17E with my 300mm f4 AFS - both work very well and the modification has absolutely no effect.

Here is a link to detailed instructions for the modification, with pics. It's a ten minute job, and a dremel tool makes it simple.

http://nikonpages.heymanphotography.com/tcmod/

BTW - for reference, I found both the Sigma 500mm and TC14E for less than $2200 used, in excellent condition - far less than the cost of a used Nikon 500mm.

Rick

Jan 31, 2010 at 04:26 AM
mmarz

p.1 #12 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

nugeny wrote:
Not as strange as it seems. Imagine to slug around two sets of TCs. one for Nikon, one for Sigma. That one reason alone convinces me to stay 100% Nikon.

Sorry, I have to agree with others who have questioned the logic..

I completely understand if you want to stay with Nikon glass as a matter of loyalty or if you have where-with-all financially, but I use the Sigma 500, along with a Sigma 300 and a bunch of other Sigma lenses. I own two Sigma TC's as well as a modified TC-14e specifically for the 500. The 500 & TC 14e work great together. Carrying one additional TC in one pocket and having $4000 extra cash in the other seems to be a far cry from your description of slugging around two sets of TC's..

As others describe, the performance of the 500 & TC14e is just fine on the D300, 700 and D3. Since I bird with two bodies, it's easier to have one tc mounted on the 500/D3 combo and a Sigma 1.4 in my TT pouch in case I want to throw it on the second body.

With the tab removal the tc14e now mounts on lenses that Nikon didn't intend them to mount on.. the 70-300VR, 80-200 etc.

Interestingly, I tried the tape mod on one of my Sigma TC's so it would AF on the 500, but it subsequently, it would chatter when mounted on other Sigma lenses which is what led me to keeping the Sigma TC's for the shorter Sigma lenses and a dedicated TC14e for the 500 and other Nikon lenses..

Jan 31, 2010 at 01:08 PM
chemprof
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

I don't get it either. The 1.4 TCs are VERY small, and the Sigma ones are pretty darned cheap as well.

Gerald

Jan 31, 2010 at 02:35 PM
nick.iodice

p.1 #14 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

take a look at the kenko teleconverters. they are very nice and preserve autofocus/vr on my nikon 70-200. I dont have any sigma lenses to try it with, but it should work with them.

Feb 01, 2010 at 02:07 AM
martyn.
• •
p.1 #15 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

moffo wrote:
No, really, I have the Sigma with Nikon TCs and it's great. Same surgery on the TCs that you'll need to mount 'em on the 'unsupported' Nikon lenses. And the focusing with the Nikkor 500 will still be iffy with tc's.

I have owned the Sigma 500 f4.5, and I have modified the 1.4TC, on my D300 it would not AF, plus it was an awful lens until stopped down to f7.1 (bare lens), contrast and resolution was poor without the TC, I ended up part exchanging it for a 200-400.

I now also have the Nikon 500 AF-S II.

On my D300 both the 200-400 VR, and 500mm will AF with the 1.4 and 1.7 TC's without issue.

Feb 01, 2010 at 12:57 PM
mmarz

p.1 #16 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

martyn. wrote:
I have to think your copy of the Sigma was a clunker.. :9

I'll agree that IQ on the D300 was less than ideal and frankly, I avoided the TC on that body, but it certainly AF'd just fine, albeit a bit slow.

On the D700 and the D3 it is a great combo..

D3, Sigma 500/4.5, TC14e, 1/1600th @ f/6.3, - 1/3EV, ISO 250
http://www.emotion-images.com/img/v5/p436155237-3.jpg

Feb 01, 2010 at 01:35 PM
martyn.
• •
p.1 #17 · Sigma lens +Nikon tc?

mmarz wrote:
I have to think your copy of the Sigma was a clunker.. :9

I'll agree that IQ on the D300 was less than ideal and frankly, I avoided the TC on that body, but it certainly AF'd just fine, albeit a bit slow.

I did put it down to sample variation, I have seen good results with the lens, as proved by your image, sometimes sample variation is a product of low cost third party lenses, but at the price the 500mm f4.5 commands I would expect much better QC from Sigma.

As I said not a problem as I part exchanged it for the 200-400VR

Feb 01, 2010 at 01:52 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password