New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              963      
       965              1019       1020       end

ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

DannyBurkPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.964 #1 · p.964 #1 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Hi - new member here. I've recently moved from 4x5 and 617 film formats to a 5DSR and A7RII, and have found a lot of useful info here to help with the transition. I'll post a couple of images here, since I'm using a Zeiss ZE set with both cameras. I've not yet had a chance to do much shooting (other than test subjects!) with the new system, which I hope to change next month with some fall color.

Here's a recent b&w image from Potato Creek State Park, Indiana: 5DSR, ZE 21/2.8 Distagon.

Sep 26, 2015 at 06:19 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
• •
p.964 #2 · p.964 #2 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

"Attack of the Weevil Army" 5DSR, ZE 135/2 at f/2.

Sep 26, 2015 at 06:21 AM
designdog
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.964 #3 · p.964 #3 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

OK, in going back over some notes from my previous experience with the 1.4/85 I now recall what "focusing and shooting at the aperture" means, by using the depth of field preview.

My issue is that I never really use the viewfinder to focus MF lenses. I am not sure, with the standard focusing screen on my D800, and my 70 year old eyes, that I could really discern focus in the first place. No, I rely on the green dot for focus.

Which brings me to another question. I know that the D800 does not focus off the sensor but through the lens; if you press the depth of field button, is the camera then focusing at the shooting aperture? Does the green dot reflect this? If so, it seems to me that I could hold down the depth of field preview button, refocus, and the green dot would help me get a better shot?

Sorry to put up so much verbiage on this essentially photo forum. Actual images will follow!

Sep 26, 2015 at 11:55 AM
bjornthun
• • •
p.964 #4 · p.964 #4 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

The green dot will light up when you've focussed to within depth of field and not necessarily on the exact plane of focus. This is exacerbated as you stop down, so the green dot won't give very exact focusing. On a DSLR you will have to resort to luveview for that. I've moved entirely to Sony mirrorless, since optical viewfinders don't work well for me.

Sep 26, 2015 at 01:08 PM
nntnam
• •
p.964 #5 · p.964 #5 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Studying focus stacking. Turns out the 100MP is not the very good lens for focus stacking .

100MP/ 3 images stacked

Sep 26, 2015 at 01:10 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.964 #6 · p.964 #6 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
"Attack of the Weevil Army" 5DSR, ZE 135/2 at f/2.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f50/deliasfanatic/_Y3A0731%20eupholus%202000px_zpsz7hvkmft.jpg

Welcome, Danny! Nice shots there.

Sep 26, 2015 at 01:47 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• •
p.964 #7 · p.964 #7 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks, Gunzorro

Here are a couple more: Coneflower (background of yellow coneflowers): 5DSR, Zeiss 135/2 at f/2.

Sep 26, 2015 at 05:43 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• •
p.964 #8 · p.964 #8 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Gretchen and Heidi: Sony A7RII, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4 at f/2.

Sep 26, 2015 at 05:44 PM
Abuttolph
• •
p.964 #9 · p.964 #9 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

designdog wrote:
OK, in going back over some notes from my previous experience with the 1.4/85 I now recall what "focusing and shooting at the aperture" means, by using the depth of field preview.

My issue is that I never really use the viewfinder to focus MF lenses. I am not sure, with the standard focusing screen on my D800, and my 70 year old eyes, that I could really discern focus in the first place. No, I rely on the green dot for focus.

Which brings me to another question. I know that the D800 does not focus off the sensor but through
...Show more

Yes, I think that this approach should work. It might be easier to use the aperture ring and set it to whatever you plan to use, and then focus so that you don't have to hold down the dof button. Using liveview helps too. Once focussed, you can reset the aperture ring so that the camera will talk to the lens and take your shot.

Sep 26, 2015 at 07:59 PM
nntnam
• •
p.964 #10 · p.964 #10 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

100MP

Sep 27, 2015 at 09:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

joakim
• • • •
p.964 #11 · p.964 #11 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

designdog wrote:

Which brings me to another question. I know that the D800 does not focus off the sensor but through
...Show more

I got curious about the focus confirmation and ran a quick test with my Nikon D810 which confirmed what i suspected. The focus confirmation works at a fixed aperture, not sure what it is for my D810, since it is supposed to confirm the plane of focus and not the depth. I focused the lens on a close target until I got the dot confirmation and then slowly tilted the camera out of focus in both directions and for both with an aperture at 1.4 and 5.6 the dot disappeared at the same distance form the original focus plane.

When pressing the Dof preview button the dot also disappeared which makes sense since we're now interested in the whole Dof field rather than the focus plane.

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:21 AM
designdog
• •
p.964 #12 · p.964 #12 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks joakim. I looked again at some of my shots with the new 1.4/85, as well as some of what I considered really good ones from my previous copy of the lens. What I discovered was that many of the "good shots" were not necessarily perfectly in focus. I think is is the love/hate aspect of this lens, and some of the other Zeiss lenses I can think of. Some, like the MPs, are all about sharpness and accuracy, while others, like the 1.4/85, the 1.4/35, are more about character.

Also, while I love my D800 it has encouraged me to adopt a pixel-peeping-first mode of viewing my photography. This is not good. Most times I immediately zoom into 100% before really appreciating the shot for all of the other characteristics content, composition, color, tone, etc.

I think I am just going to shoot away and enjoy my "new" lens for its personality, and let the 100% in-focus fall where it may...

Sep 27, 2015 at 12:03 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.964 #13 · p.964 #13 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

A few shots from a very high ranking Japanese restaurant during the trip.
ZE50/2

Sep 27, 2015 at 03:05 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.964 #14 · p.964 #14 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Phuang3, beautiful shots with the ZE50/2! I have always liked the rendering and colors of that lens. I stopped using mine when I got my D800E and Otus 55/1.4 but now should try it out again on my 5DsR and compare with my Otus which I love too. Both differ in bokeh rendering.

Sep 27, 2015 at 05:35 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.964 #15 · p.964 #15 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Wayne, do not discount the Milvus 50 f:1.4. From what I've seen so far, it looks interesting! Also, according to Zeiss, the Milvus iterations of the Makro Planar tandem are a tad better than the ZE/ZF.2

Sep 27, 2015 at 06:56 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.964 #16 · p.964 #16 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

wayne seltzer wrote:
Phuang3, beautiful shots with the ZE50/2! I have always liked the rendering and colors of that lens. I stopped using mine when I got my D800E and Otus 55/1.4 but now should try it out again on my 5DsR and compare with my Otus which I love too. Both differ in bokeh rendering.

Wayne seltzer,
Thanks. The otus does have size & weight issues for travel. For trips, this ZE & Leica 60mm are always my favorites. Otus is best at landscape whereas ZE50 is optimized at close range. It's macro performance is phenomenal.

Edited on Sep 28, 2015 at 12:16 AM · View previous versions

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:08 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.964 #17 · p.964 #17 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

philber wrote:
... Also, according to Zeiss, the Milvus iterations of the Makro Planar tandem are a tad better than the ZE/ZF.2

hi philber,

I thought Milvus 50/2 and ZE50/2 are identical in optical construction. Where did you get this information? However, I do hope Zeiss will introduce an Otus macro lens though.

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:15 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.964 #18 · p.964 #18 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Hi Phuang,
You are correct, the optical constructions are identical, but Zeiss have improved coatings, which is the basis for my statement.
For macro, I used to have a Leica 60 Elmarit R, but now I use my Otus 55 with tubes. It saves weight, and gives glorious results. But I am not into hard-core macro, more in to close-ups.

Sep 28, 2015 at 06:03 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.964 #19 · p.964 #19 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

philber wrote:
Hi Phuang,
You are correct, the optical constructions are identical, but Zeiss have improved coatings, which is the basis for my statement.
For macro, I used to have a Leica 60 Elmarit R, but now I use my Otus 55 with tubes. It saves weight, and gives glorious results. But I am not into hard-core macro, more in to close-ups.

I see. It sounds cool to use tubes with Otus. Otus is the best without question.

Sep 28, 2015 at 09:51 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.964 #20 · p.964 #20 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

More shots from ZE50/2
Beitou library

Edited on Sep 29, 2015 at 12:40 AM · View previous versions

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:40 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password