Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              931      
       933              978       979       end

ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

cyra
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.932 #1 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

nice works everyone!
dgjean, this image really captures the moment, very well done!

I don't think I have posted these before (although similar ones):

ZF 85/1.4 P

ZF 50/1.4 P

ZF 28/2 also kind of P it fits well in with the Planars.

Jan 15, 2014 at 03:06 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.932 #2 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Comino #1 - Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/50 ZE @ f/8, 1/100s, 5DmkII@ISO 100, polarizer

Samuli

Jan 15, 2014 at 07:52 PM
Picture This!
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.932 #3 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

great detail in that shot Samuli..

Jan 15, 2014 at 08:04 PM
cyra
• • •
p.932 #4 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

some street attempts with the ZF 85/1.4

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.932 #5 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Cyra, Toothwalker & Akul plus those donating Likes - thank you.

The Sagrada is indeed an amazing place and worth a 2nd or 3rd or 4th trip of anyone's time. Incredible to think of how long this construction has been in progress and that they are still working to Gaudi's plans (since he knew this building was as, he put it, 'for each generation to contribute to' and that it would never be finished before his death - hence his forethought and planning for post mortem).

Cyra - I knew I had seen that landscape (or similar) before, then I saw where you live, Salzburg. We lived for 3 years in the South, just outside Klagenfurt, in Volkermarkt. Stunning scenery all year round.

Jan 16, 2014 at 11:36 AM
cyra
• • •
p.932 #6 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Frogfish, you have moved quite a bit from Kärnten to Shanghai
more landscape, just for you

thanks everybody for the likes

first and third with MP ZF 50/2, second ZF 25/2.8

Jan 16, 2014 at 06:33 PM
cyra
• • •
p.932 #7 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

played around with capture one, partly desaturating some images

ZF 28/2

ZF 100 MP

Jan 17, 2014 at 02:42 PM
dgjean
• • •
p.932 #8 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

A lot of wonderful shots, Cyra!

A shot from Venice with the 35/1.4 ZF.2:

Nikon D3s & Zeiss 35/1.4 ZF.2

To Begin The World All Over Again by Donald G. Jean, on Flickr

Jan 17, 2014 at 03:07 PM
cyra
• • •
p.932 #9 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

thanks, dgjean! - your flickerstream is awesome. The images look even greater on black background.

another walk with the ZF 85/1.4, D700

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Picture This!
• • •
p.932 #10 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

D800e+ ZF.2 21
Black sand beach, Maui, Hawaii

Jan 18, 2014 at 05:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cyra
• • •
p.932 #11 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Manu, I like the mood in this picture a lot

more roses with ZF 28/2, D700

Jan 18, 2014 at 06:29 PM
eugend

p.932 #12 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Hello, here's my macro try with ZE 35/f2:

Jan 18, 2014 at 08:14 PM
user222
• • •
p.932 #13 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

50P

Jan 19, 2014 at 05:23 AM
Jay968

p.932 #14 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I wonder if someone can help me out here. I just posted this outside this thread but then thought it might be better off here. I will delete the other one once this one is posted;

A few years ago I owned the 100MP and was never really satisfied with the results. I also at that time had a 35 F2 and a 50MP (all EF for Canon) and just felt that both of the other two lenses gave me more consistant and sharper images. I knew this was contrary to popular opinion but I did end up selling the 100 when I got my 5D MKIII due to difficulty focusing with its screen.

Fast forward a few years and I now own a 6D body along with the 21, 35F2, 50MP, and once again the 100MP. and use the EG-S screen for focusing. While I feel the other lenses are superb, especially the 21, I am once again frustrated with the 100. It's not that it's UNsharp and due to the fact that this is now the second sample I have tried, I doubt there is anything wrong with the lens. However, I am just not impressed at all by it. I think all 3 of the other lenses are noticeably sharper and exhibit more of the Zeiss look and qualities in general. For that matter, I was more impressed with the Canon 100 macro II that I just sold in order to get this lens.

So, can someone give me some pointers on this lens? I have shot everything from macro, to mid range (about 8 or 10 feet way from subject matter) to landscape type shots and nothing is impressing me about it. Not that it's bad, just not in any way shape or form as impressive as everyone makes it out to be nor as impressive as the 3 other Zeiss lenses which I own.

BTW I AM very discriminating when it comes to lenses, shot for years with a Nikkor 105mm F2.5 which I loved (not by today's standards), can pick out the Zeiss 50 F1.4 most everytime in this forum (I think it's a pretty bad lens), and think the Zeiss 21 is about as good a lens as I have ever shot with. I am not impressed by much of what I see from the 100MP in this forum, so maybe I am just looking at its images differently than everyone else is, or expecting too much from it? I don't know. I think eugend's macro shot (a couple of images above this post) of the watch with his 35 looks better than most of what I have ever seen shot macro with the 100.

Help? Can anyone give me some pointers on how to make the most of it so I can really find out whether or not it's for me?

Jan 19, 2014 at 09:24 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.932 #15 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Jay968 wrote:
Help? Can anyone give me some pointers on how to make the most of it so I can really find out whether or not it's for me?

For me 2/100 has been 110% tripod+live view lens; the ridiculous short focus throw combined to lens characters, which require perfect focusing. In practice focusing takes 5-10x time or even more compared to lenses, with more practical focus throw. Boke improves when you close down, most of the boke issues are solved by closing down to f/3.2.

2/100 used to be my favorite lens, but I think I didn't shoot even single frame during 2013 (didn't check, I may have shoot some and just don't remember). However 1.4/85 and 2/135 got thousands of exposures, as well as Contax G90 hundreds.

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/25 ZE @ f/8.0, 1252s, ISO 100 @ Sony A7

Notes for next try of star trails:
- shoot wider than 25mm to include North Star (center of circular motion)
- 15 minute exposure is not long enough
- pick night without moonlight and area where there are less lights
- bring second tripod, it's really boring to wait 15+ minutes (I usually anyways carry 2-3 cameras, so could use the time in between to setup next on other tripod)
- bring tea/coffee, and don't go shooting when it's -20C (-4F)

Samuli

Jan 19, 2014 at 09:56 PM
Jay968

p.932 #16 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Very interesting Samuli. Not exactly what I wanted to hear but it does indeed explain some things to me. I've been shooting outside around the house all day and still haven't really seen an image that is impressing me. I hear what you say about the short focus throw. Perhaps it's just too demanding. I tried the 135 several months ago and found the same issue with it. Great potential but very difficult to actually achieve pinpoint focusing.

Any other suggestions would be welcome. This is NOT a lens that I purchased in order to use on a tripod, that's for sure.

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:26 PM
cyra
• • •
p.932 #17 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I don't know with the 100 MP, I find myself using the 85/1.4 more when I am at home, but the 100 more when traveling other countries.
I agree with the short focus throw, I find myself liking it best at shorter distance (up to 1 m or so. But I also have some landscape shots I like. I have no real complaints about it, and can't really help you to put your finger on what you don't like about it. Maybe you should post some of your pictures which you aren't content with and discuss them.

ZF 100/2 MP

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Jay968

p.932 #18 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

So after printing up about a dozen images that I had shot this afternoon I have not quite but almost come to the conclusion that the 100MP is not my thing.

I have been so impressed by the 21, 35 and 50MP that I think I fell for the Zeiss mystique only to find that some of their lenses are superb while others are good but just not in the same league. Interesting that it took the 100MP to get me there as this lens has such a great reputation but I am honestly just not seeing it as it is hardly any better (if at all) than the Canon 100mm F2.8L macro. Having shot with the Zeiss 28 and 85 at times, I CAN say the 100MP outperforms the 28 but is very close in sharpness to the 85 (focus shift notwithstanding). The 100 does a very good job with subject matter between about 10 and 20 feet away but falls short at greater distances. Even the Canon 70-200 lenses seem to do a better job in that range. As far as macro goes, I have not given it a true test and shouldn't comment.

Anyway, once again if anyone can give me some pointers or tips on how to maximize this lens, I am listening as I would honestly love to make it work. I have always been very impressed by the Zeiss construction and actually do prefer manual focus any day over AF.

By the way, my shooting today consisted of shooting mainly at either F8 or 5.6, all handheld at appropriate shutter speeds for bright sunlight at ISO 100.

Cyra, I would post but I have no means to do so, unless there is a way to upload them here.

Jan 19, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.932 #19 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Jay968 wrote:
I have been so impressed by the 21, 35 and 50MP that I think I fell for the Zeiss mystique only to find that some of their lenses are superb while others are good but just not in the same league. Interesting that it took the 100MP to get me there as this lens has such a great reputation but I am honestly just not seeing it as it is hardly any better (if at all) than the Canon 100mm F2.8L macro. Having shot with the Zeiss 28 and 85 at times, I CAN say the 100MP outperforms the 28
...Show more

The MP2.8/100 actually performs best at infinity. You need to nail the focus though and should not trust the infinity stop. In my opinion it is quite a bit better than the D2/35.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:08 AM
cyra
• • •
p.932 #20 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Jay, I upload at zeissimages.com. You can there search images by a specific lens.
100 MP is the most posted lens, by the way.

first springflowers are out! (old photo though) - all ZF 100/2 MP

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:40 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password