Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              902      
       904              982       983       end

ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

U.C.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.903 #1 · p.903 #1 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Last weekend I visited Switzerland. Here are some pictures of the region called: Appenzell.

5D2 + MP100/MP50/D21 (EXIF shows correct focal length, but not correct aperture)

HDR 9 by Universal Creations, on Flickr

Panorama 2 by Universal Creations, on Flickr

_MG_59336 by Universal Creations, on Flickr

HDR 7 by Universal Creations, on Flickr

_MG_59681 by Universal Creations, on Flickr

Panorama 18 by Universal Creations, on Flickr

Panorama 26 by Universal Creations, on Flickr

_MG_59890 by Universal Creations, on Flickr

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.903 #2 · p.903 #2 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Bob, great utilization of 2/35's characteristics!
EDIT: U.C. - marvellous landscapes! First 3 were very inspiring, thanks for posting.

I have been shooting almost 100% with polarizer filters at 2013 summer. Mostly because I can avoid some time wasted on photo processing (less tweaking with the damn sliders in Apple Aperture), but also for controlling amount of skylight reflected from the forest undergrowth.

Here is small series how much one can make difference already when shooting frame. All images are with Aperture default slider positions (=no post processing of any kind), except -0.15EV exposure adjustment for image #2 to match #3 level of lightness on the subject. You can open links below to own tabs to easily compare images:
1. ooops forgot to block the front lens with hand
2. no polarizer, hand blocking direct sunshine to lens
3. with polarizer, hand blocking direct sunshine to lens

#3 as embedded photo - Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 @ f/1.4, 1/40s, Hoya HD polarizer

--
Samuli

Oct 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM
tivv

p.903 #3 · p.903 #3 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
tivv - I try to avoid commenting portraits OR processed photos - however I liked what you had done on post processing to enhance the skin texture on this one, great work!

Thanks! I really love what you did with that last wide panorama. I will have to experiment with something similar once I pick up the 100mm f/2 in the not so distant future.

Oct 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM
dthrog00
• •
p.903 #4 · p.903 #4 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Cross post from the autumn images thread.

Two views of a pathway. Zeiss 50 Planar ZE

First, the scene in focus. (f/4.5)

2013_10_11_4312_LR_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr

Second, leaves in focus and the background blurred out. The bokeh bright spots are annoying, but I like the image as a whole. (f/2.8)

2013_10_11_4313_LR_upd by dthrog00, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing.
Dave

Oct 24, 2013 at 02:06 AM
U.C.
• • •
p.903 #5 · p.903 #5 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

@Samuli: the polarizer also adds quite a lot of Kelvins to the white balance (or subtracting kelvins of the color temperature).

Oct 24, 2013 at 03:04 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.903 #6 · p.903 #6 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

U.C. wrote:
@Samuli: the polarizer also adds quite a lot of Kelvins to the white balance (or subtracting kelvins of the color temperature).

Hmmm, I have always assumed that it seems that way because it filters the reflected skylight (very blue light) when turned to correct direction, but that it actually doesn't change the color temperature. To be sure I checked and the new Hoya HD polarizer doesn't have red (=warm) color cast on white/gray subjects.I have checked this earlier other polarizer I have, and also they didn't have color cast. My only filter, which has color cast is Hoya ND 8x (slight magenta cast).

Samuli

Oct 24, 2013 at 04:23 PM
Dalmas
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.903 #7 · p.903 #7 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks Bob. Really inspiring shots with the 35/2 :-)
Samuli: Love your forrest pictures. Looks just like at home.
U.C. Nice views from Switzerland!
Luka: Great scene.
Ronny: Marvellous as usual.
Paul: That's some shot!

Oct 24, 2013 at 08:34 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.903 #8 · p.903 #8 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Zeiss ZE 50/1,4

Oct 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM
user222
• • •
p.903 #9 · p.903 #9 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Ulff...your photography is remarkable. Thanks for sharing such wonderful works.

Oct 26, 2013 at 03:43 AM
user222
• • •
p.903 #10 · p.903 #10 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

From the 100MP ZE

bubbles on the wire by craig_coonrad, on Flickr

Oct 26, 2013 at 03:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

nibutto
• •
p.903 #11 · p.903 #11 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Since I have no AF lenses, I decided to change my focusing screen.
I've installed the S-Type matte focusing screen, it's better than before, but I think that for very precise focusing could be good to have an EVF too. (Something like Fuji's solution where you can switch from OVF to EVF very easily).
Let's wait and see what Nikon will propose to us with the pure photography new camera.
It could be a marriage in heaven with our heavy metal and glass Zeiss primes!
What do you think?
Are you using more LCD for precise focusing? I'd like to zoom only the central part of the picture in order to be able to frame the shot, but it's no possible.
Some bokeh from the 35 using the new matte screen.

Oct 26, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.903 #12 · p.903 #12 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

nibutto wrote:
What do you think?
Are you using more LCD for precise focusing?

Depends on shooting style and subject - for the stuff I shoot I very much prefer to shoot using live view. For tripod work I would never even consider anything else. And for handheld Zeiss ZE-shooting I'm using LCDVF to be able to support camera from 3 points (head&hand*2).

Earlier when I did shoot motorsports and weddings in addition to nature I had different preferences. Of course cameras have developed over the years - my 3 first DSLRs (D30, 20D, 5Dmk1) didn't even have Live View. However live view was "game changer" for me, and I downgraded from fullframe to crop just to get Live View (at the time 1Ds mkIII was only camera with fullframe and live view, and it was really expensive).

nibutto wrote:
I'd like to zoom only the central part of the picture in order to be able to frame the shot, but it's no possible.

I rarely use central subjects so I prefer to zoom to where-ever I need to. I would really hate crippled live view (like in Leica M240), where one can just zoom the central part.

Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/50 @ f/11, 0.8s, ISO 100

--
Samuli

Oct 26, 2013 at 05:49 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.903 #13 · p.903 #13 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Do you find that the LCDVF is useful for tripod-based shooting as well? I wonder if I could judge focus on the D800 without zooming in?

I have -1.5 on my right eye, but although the LCDVF apparently has no diopter, they claim usefulness from +5 to -2. How do you find that?

Oct 26, 2013 at 07:50 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.903 #14 · p.903 #14 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

carstenw wrote:
Do you find that the LCDVF is useful for tripod-based shooting as well? I wonder if I could judge focus on the D800 without zooming in?

I use LCDVF for tripod shooting if lightning is all the time changing and I have to be 105% sure I get right exposure on first try. Or if there is so much light that I find it hard to see LCD (rarely issue in Finnish forest...).

I'm not sure what LCDVF or no-LCDVF affects on judging focus on the D800 without zooming? The resolution of current camera LCDs is not sufficient even for 20Mpix, and no way it would be sufficient for 30+Mpix.

carstenw wrote:
I have -1.5 on my right eye, but although the LCDVF apparently has no diopter, they claim usefulness from +5 to -2. How do you find that?

I haven't had issues with LCDVF, I can see the pixel grid of 5DmkII LCD with LCDVF (and without). I have 1.2 and 2.x on my glasses, don't know is it - or +, but I cannot see far without glasses e.g. drive car (well I could if I would not need to read the road signs, and my drivers license would not say that I need to drive with glasses...). I can shoot as well with either eye. Sometimes I feel that optical finder diopter settings don't go far enough and it's hard to see crisp details crisp enough - so maybe their marketing speech is truthful.

If diopter adjustment needed then other similar devices than LCDVF are more suitable. I haven't checked market situation for some years now,but back then when I was choosing devide the other options were with 3x and when I tested they were way too "wide" for my taste - very easy to focus, but very very difficult to compose considering whole image.

Just few minutes later (from previous photo I posted above) and photo needed 10 minute manual masking and tweaking in PhotoShop to get decent balance between sky and forest. Carl Zeiss APO-Sonnar T* 2/135 @ f/11, 1s, ISO 100

--
Samuli

Oct 26, 2013 at 08:17 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.903 #15 · p.903 #15 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Hmm. It has been a long time now that I have wanted to add some kind of focus-assist device to my D800. It is a really nice camera, but focusing is hard.

I have thought of a SmallHD DP4 EVF, but it only has 50% more pixels than the D800's LCD, the same as the Olympus VF-2 I have, and what I would really love is a high-enough resolution screen to judge focus without zooming in. I am not sure that the DP4 will give me that, although the Focus Assist+ mode seems promising. The DP6 and DP7 would probably give that, but they are much larger, more expensive and don't have the EVF attachment.

The LCDVF would be an in-between solution, getting me more from the LCD of the camera, while adding minimal bulk and cost.

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM
akul
• • •
p.903 #16 · p.903 #16 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Bob - You sold your 1.4/35 !! I agree that 2/35 is a great lens. I still have it, and can't part with it. Nice series of showcasing 2/35's boke quality, which I love. Oh, I agree with vignette. Love Zeiss vignett.
U.C. Gorgeous set.
Lars - Beautiful composition
Samuli that is an amazing capture of light !

Here is 1.4/35 at 1.4

Oct 27, 2013 at 04:23 AM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.903 #17 · p.903 #17 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Luka - I love this lens! I feel like I'm gaining much more than I'm losing and I like the size/weight difference. Here's a few more from yesterday. The first is a 3-shot pano..

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:42 AM
akul
• • •
p.903 #18 · p.903 #18 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Bob - Great shot. Wonderful fall color and light. I hear you about weight. Honestly, I did not use 1.4/35 for the whole summer. I pulled out for fall color.

Some more with 1.4/35

Oct 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM
GSteve
• •
p.903 #19 · p.903 #19 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

13 Shot Pano, Canon 5D MKII, Zeiss 21/2.8

GSteve 2013

Jackson Lake, WY

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Dalmas
• •
p.903 #20 · p.903 #20 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Great shots Lars, user222, nibutto, Samuli, Luka, Bob and GSteve.
Bob, is that middle shot from Red Wing?

Oct 27, 2013 at 06:38 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password