New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              858      
       860              1019       1020       end

ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Jim Servies
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.859 #1 · p.859 #1 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

@kezeka - More please!

Also, I'm eyeing that 21 on the B&S board. PM me an offer I can't refuse and ... Seriously, post a couple more with the 135 if you have them.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.859 #2 · p.859 #2 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Pure Maui
ZF 21

Jan 29, 2014 at 05:58 AM
Rodluvan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.859 #3 · p.859 #3 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

kezeka wrote:
Stopped by the local camera shop here in town to pick up my new 21/2.8 from Zeiss after a whole bunch of complications

What had happened?

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:21 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.859 #4 · p.859 #4 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Rodluvan wrote:
What had happened?

There is a thread somewhere in the alt forum about it but here is the medium length version: Bought the lens knowing that the hood had been chewed on by a dog 6 months ago. Used it for concert photography and to get some scenic photos that I have been needing a UWA for and then decided that I honestly prefer the versatility and faster 35L for most of my work. This was in december 2013, I inspected the lens to make sure that I hadn't damaged it during my ownership of the lens and found no defects with it so I put it up for sale detailing where the hood scratches/dents came from and that there was one scrape on the barrel of the lens itself. Eventually sold it on ebay to someone.

They received it and found that the front assembly of the lens was rotating about 3 degrees but there was no other movement. I refunded that gentleman the purchase price and I filed a claim with UPS against the shipping insurance I had paid for on the lens. They then picked up the lens from the buyer, inspected only the damage to the hood and said (obviously) that that couldn't have been caused by shipping and sent it back to me denying the claim. I then escalated the claim telling them that they ignored the entire conversation I had previously had with them and that the damage caused by shipping was a rotating front assembly. They then retracted their previous statement contingent on me getting a repair price.

At this point, it had been 2 weeks between selling the lens and getting it back in my hands from UPS.

So I went to a local camera shop that is authorized to repair Zeiss lenses. They were unable to unscrew the front ring around the front element (pretty nifty way to hide a screw, I was really impressed to find out this is how the lens is put together) and said they would have to send it to a bigger better Zeiss repair facility. Naturally, I had them send the damn thing to the US Zeiss repair facility and not some 3rd party.

2 more weeks went by as the lens made its way to the Zeiss facility.

I finally got an email from the local camera shop saying that Zeiss found that it was NOT ECONOMICALLY VIABLE TO REPAIR. That was a lovely email to receive 12 hours into a 24 hour shift at my job. Plenty of 4 letter words later I read the rest of the email and found that Zeiss was preparing an offer for a replacement lens for the price of the repair. 2 days later I got another email saying that for the price of the repair (not insignificant by any means but still less than $1800 for a new lens) they would send me a brand new lens with a full warranty. The logic behind this deal being that it would cost Zeiss so much time to break down the lens and repair it that it would be more financially viable for them to just break it down into individually pristine parts and use those for repairs. Having felt beaten down and then brought back up again on this emotional and financial roller coaster of a month - I choose to sleep on it and accepted their offer the next day.

1.5 weeks later I picked up the new lens. Its beautifully pristine and untouched. Just magnificent (I haven't bought a new lens in YEARS, preferring to buy lightly used equipment). So its been about a month and a half at this point! Just happy to finally be able to liquidate this asset in order to finance a 135 APO. I still have to finish filing this claim with UPS in hopes that they actually hold up to their end of the bargain but they seem to be full of BS excuses to get out of paying for the damage.

Truth be told, I have found out that there are a lot of really good people in the world trying to help other people deal with problems during this process. My local UPS store has been phenomenal helping me dredge through the paperwork and correspondence with the claim. The buyer (though complaining the entire time) was kind enough to comply with UPS's procedures for picking up the lens from him. The local camera shop was fantastic about updating me on where in the repair process my lens was and its location at all times. I am truly thankful for all of these people helping me!

I hope this story provides some guidance for people entering this repair process in the future. Heretofore I had not had any previous experience with this process or the potential deals that could be struck.

I have a few more APO 135 photos that I'll post below.

Jan 29, 2014 at 02:26 PM
kezeka
• • •
p.859 #5 · p.859 #5 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

APO 135/2. Again, not particularly great photos but it is an astonishing lens. Originals can be seen here: http://jkamnetz.smugmug.com/Other/For-Sale/n-HSZDv/i-HzcbTm8/A

Jan 29, 2014 at 02:29 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.859 #6 · p.859 #6 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

kezeka, thanks for sharing the story. Sounds like an overall fair assessment by Zeiss, glad it worked out even though it was a hassle. I had a very good experience with Zeiss USA when my 35mm C-Biogon focus helicoid got tight near infinity. I sent in the lens, and they decided it was easier to send me a new one free under warranty rather than repair it. Thank goodness it wasn't a Nikon, or I'd have been out several hundred dollars for impact damage That 135mm is killer by the way, look forward to seeing your images when you get it in the bag.

Jan 29, 2014 at 02:59 PM
Rodluvan
• • •
p.859 #7 · p.859 #7 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

kezeka wrote:
There is a thread somewhere in the alt forum about it but here is the medium length version:

Thanks. Stuff like that can be so enervating!

Jan 29, 2014 at 03:01 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.859 #8 · p.859 #8 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Great shot Manu ,Toothwalker, Cyra and kezeka

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/21 ZF 2
LEE GRAD.ND0,9 SOFT
LEE Bigstopper

Jan 29, 2014 at 08:37 PM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.859 #9 · p.859 #9 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Great shot and choice for a LE Ronny. Can't wait to do some LE work next month. In between gear at the moment switching from Nikon to Canon. I have two 8-stop filters I stack for some really long exposures. Love the look it produces. Great job here!

Jan 29, 2014 at 09:09 PM
RiverGuy
• •
p.859 #10 · p.859 #10 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

kezeka, JSPhotos....

The 135/2 has become one of my most dependable lenses since I got back last April. Few opportunities to put it to good use in this 3 degree weather now, but spring is coming. I'm going to nudge it toward some food photography next week. I wish Zeiss would redo the 100/2 at the Otus level.

Some 135/2 images from last year: http://danmacdonald.zenfolio.com/zeiss135_for_nikon/slideshow

Jan 30, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jim Servies
• • •
p.859 #11 · p.859 #11 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks Dan!

I think I saw your photos earlier this month before I lost my mind and started selling all my Nikon gear. However, I'll definitely check them out again this afternoon. By the way, I need to come by to "inspect" your copy. In fact, I probably need to take it up to Cades Cove to really "inspect" it.

Jan 30, 2014 at 04:04 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.859 #12 · p.859 #12 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thank's
Great set Dan

Jan 30, 2014 at 06:42 PM
RiverGuy
• •
p.859 #13 · p.859 #13 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

JSPHOTOS wrote:
Thanks Dan!

I think I saw your photos earlier this month before I lost my mind and started selling all my Nikon gear. However, I'll definitely check them out again this afternoon. By the way, I need to come by to "inspect" your copy. In fact, I probably need to take it up to Cades Cove to really "inspect" it.

Ah, you would be Jim of previous 200VR fame, no?

Let's do the Cove together sometime. Old (not so old) Doug, father of the original NC Zeiss thread, is here within a few miles of us, too. We could go as a gang of three.

The ZF 135 holds a special place in my lineup, even with the Otus 55, the Coastal Optics 60 APO and the Hartblei 80 tilt shift right on the shelf next to it. (A shelf, I hasten to add, which is not in my house but downtown.) That lens is just very productive; you can get a wide range of images out of it.

What you really need to do is accompany my son and me on a return trip to Monroe County, WV. Last spring's trip there was one of the most rewarding photo trips I've done in the East.

DM

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:29 PM
skyapad
• •
p.859 #14 · p.859 #14 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Happy Chinese New Year
100 MP

Jan 31, 2014 at 08:56 AM
skyapad
• •
p.859 #15 · p.859 #15 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

New Years EVE . . . Los Angeles China Town
35mm F1.4

Jan 31, 2014 at 09:01 AM
skyapad
• •
p.859 #16 · p.859 #16 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Live Long and Prosper
35mm f/1.4

Jan 31, 2014 at 09:09 AM
cyra
• • •
p.859 #17 · p.859 #17 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

from a walk the other day some Winter pictures, shot in totally foggy conditions, with not light what so ever,
never seen such a narrow histogramm - and: they are colour, not BW
tought me that it sometimes is worth to shoot, even when you think it is totaly futile.

ZF 28/2

maybe I overdid sharpening with the first one? c&c welcome

edit: exchanged for a version without blown higlights

Edited on Jan 31, 2014 at 08:22 PM · View previous versions

Jan 31, 2014 at 09:12 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.859 #18 · p.859 #18 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

ZE 85 on a 1DS3.

Backlit Hoodoos

Jan 31, 2014 at 05:13 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.859 #19 · p.859 #19 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

cyra wrote:
from a walk the other day some Winter pictures, shot in totally foggy conditions, with not light what so ever,
never seen such a narrow histogramm - and: they are colour, not BW
tought me that it sometimes is worth to shoot, even when you think it is totaly futile.

maybe I overdid sharpening with the first one? c&c welcome

They don't look oversharpened to me, but I would prefer B&W. Certainly for the second image, where B&W conversion renders the blown out part of the sky less conspicuous.

Jan 31, 2014 at 05:35 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • •
p.859 #20 · p.859 #20 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Nice shot Cyra

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/21 ZF 2
LEE GRAD.ND0,9 SOFT
LEE Bigstopper

240sec

Jan 31, 2014 at 07:13 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register