Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              844      
       846              1078       1079       end

ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Lieutenant Z
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.845 #1 · p.845 #1 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Nice series Ronny.

85 Planar WO :

Apr 14, 2013 at 08:21 PM
wfrank
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.845 #2 · p.845 #2 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

carstenw wrote:
I really like #2 and #4, and Luka's #2.

No, that would be #3. But you are right on Luka's #2 :-)

Ronny, high std as usual like the playfulness on the bike.

Z, nice coffin shot and nice to see images from you again (or have I just not being paying attention?)

Apr 14, 2013 at 08:47 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.845 #3 · p.845 #3 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks Gary & akul.

Gary Clennan wrote: Must be nice to have sunshine. We (in Calgary) just got more snow today...
Yep, spring is definitely here, but it still rains every second day.
But hey, you have 'Flames' to warm you up

Apr 15, 2013 at 01:10 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.845 #4 · p.845 #4 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Been a very long time since I posted here on the Zeiss board...But recently re-acquired a 50 MP, and am very glad, too!! Will start below with some shots taken with it...Thanks for viewing...
Gregg

But first...
@thetennesseed..Love the Bloodhound shot...perfect capture! Really like the 2nd bee shot, too.
@Grenache...beautiful pictures of Hawaii! Rock and tranquility are superb! Looking forward to taking Zeiss to Hawaii our next trip myself!!
@twoeye...Great lighting on the 2nd study shot. I feel like I'm really there!
@Diploneis...Nothing to say...Incredible portraits! WOW! Very nice waterway shot! I can see that on someones Wall!!
@Rodluvan...I have to remind myself that I can't buy an 85P every time I see your photos!!
@Ronny _Olsson...BiF with an 85P! Who says you can't!! I've done it with my kids soccer, but he's 10 times bigger than a bird!!
@JaKo...your first post on pg 844..the reflection-plays tricks with my eyes. DOF through water is really neat!
@akul...the root shot really stands out...what f-stop? f4 or so?? Very sharp!!
@joakim...Missing the 2/28 after seeing your shots! For a wide angle, it has incredible separation between focus transition, and great 3D! The second tree shot has very nice POP!
@Ronny _Olsson...The last bike shot with the 100MP Bokeh makes the bike look like it's floating on water!!
@Lieutenant Z..I feel like I could reach out and pick a racket up!! Incredible!
@JaKo..Love the color on your last macro shot!! Very nice 3D...

All shots with 50MP @f2 on 1D4

Apr 15, 2013 at 06:27 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.845 #5 · p.845 #5 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Ladybug...

Apr 15, 2013 at 06:28 AM
Rodluvan
• • •
p.845 #6 · p.845 #6 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Speaking of 2/28

@2.0

Apr 15, 2013 at 06:38 AM
akul
• • • •
p.845 #7 · p.845 #7 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Joakim, Carsten, Ronny - Thanks

Joakim -Great set. I like them all.

Ronny - Very nice. I like the filter (?) looking thing although the bicycle shots are fabulouos. Didn't know you could get that close with 85.

Lieutenant - nice color and composition

Jako - Very pretty set. #1 !

Gregg - Great flower series from MP50. Really nice color and use of bokeh. PP on your son's shot is very nice.

Rodluvan - Great use of 28.

ZF 1.4/35

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Ronny Olsson
• • • •
p.845 #8 · p.845 #8 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks
Great shots Z Jako Greggf and Luka
Luka : it's a filter

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZF by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 ZF by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Carl Zeiss 1.4/85 ZF by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Apr 15, 2013 at 08:51 PM
Fverburg

p.845 #9 · p.845 #9 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

My first Zeiss..................

After reading so much about them, I wanted to give Zeiss a try. I ordered a 1.4/50 ZE that arrived last Friday. Due to the weather, I did not get out as mush as I wanted.

I was surprised to find that manually focusing can be very satisfying (when you get it right).

I took this one at lunch today, (granted its not much) but I think I see that Zeiss look.

SOOC with just Lightroom presets, (no sharpening, etc) just resizing.

Just thought I would share…

Best Regards,

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.845 #10 · p.845 #10 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Feels like I haven't done anything for ages. Working too much. Found this from 6 months ago and did a quick conversion.
ZF 100/2.0 MP at f2.8; Nikon D800E

Apr 16, 2013 at 04:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dthrog00
• •
p.845 #11 · p.845 #11 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Fverburg,

I think that shot has some presence especially for just a snap at lunch!

Dave

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:14 PM
deang001
• • •
p.845 #12 · p.845 #12 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Some from the weekend ... M9 & 50/2 ZM Planar

L1001842 by deang0001, on Flickr

L1001731 by deang0001, on Flickr

L1001691 by deang0001, on Flickr

L1001674 by deang0001, on Flickr

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM
RiverGuy
• •
p.845 #13 · p.845 #13 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

ZF 135/2 working with Helicon Focus. 16 images stacked. 2nd image is crop of the first.

http://danmacdonald.zenfolio.com/zeiss135_for_nikon

© RiverGuy 2013

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:58 AM
Rodluvan
• • •
p.845 #14 · p.845 #14 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks RiverGuy!

On my screen they appear somewhat underexposed though, can you confirm this?

Apr 17, 2013 at 07:25 AM
Reagan
• • • •
p.845 #15 · p.845 #15 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Dean, You street photography excels with the M9 and 50mp
great work on both threads
Same to you Ronny and Phillipe
Everyone else here has great work also

Reagan

Apr 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM
RiverGuy
• •
p.845 #16 · p.845 #16 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Rodluvan wrote:
Thanks RiverGuy!

On my screen they appear somewhat underexposed though, can you confirm this?

Rodluvan: On my own screen they appear the same way, unfortunately. It's about a level or two below what it appears on my website. I'll just have to adjust to the difference in the future for some shots.

It's also dark because I shot it in very low late day light, to keep the threads of the seed ball from blowing out or reflecting light into the spaces between them. They are VERY reflective, and most folks who shoot them overexpose them. On my website, the seed ball sections are bright to the limit, but all the rest is really dark. That was the plan, but here it's just too dark.

Sorry.

DM

http://danmacdonald.zenfolio.com/zeiss135_for_nikon

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:42 PM
akul
• • • •
p.845 #17 · p.845 #17 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Rony - Great color on the series. Love the drawers

Fverburg - Congrats on your 50 Planar. My favorite lens ( I have Contax MM version )

Lotusm50 - Very nice focus.

deang001- Wonderful series. #2 is my favorite.

RiverGuy - impressive. Focus stacking is still a big mystery for me. Well done.

Apr 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Rodluvan
• • •
p.845 #18 · p.845 #18 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

RiverGuy wrote:
Rodluvan: On my own screen they appear the same way, unfortunately. It's about a level or two below what it appears on my website. I'll just have to adjust to the difference in the future for some shots.

It's also dark because I shot it in very low late day light, to keep the threads of the seed ball from blowing out or reflecting light into the spaces between them. They are VERY reflective, and most folks who shoot them overexpose them. On my website, the seed ball sections are bright to the limit, but all the rest is really
...Show more

No sweat! Just wanted to make sure my screen wasn't misrepresenting or that if you'd done it on purpose (avoiding the blown out bits in flowers is tricky business, and many photogs don't care or don't know about such "details").

Apr 17, 2013 at 01:25 PM
RiverGuy
• •
p.845 #19 · p.845 #19 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Akul:

RiverGuy - impressive. Focus stacking is still a big mystery for me. Well done.

Akul: I'm tempted to say focus stacking requires great intellect, artistic skill, technical wizardry, blah, blah. If I had my Eel River Porter or Duck Rabbit in me, I probably would, but it's too early in the day.

Actually, it requires telling Helicon which images you want stacked, and then--here comes the hard part-- clicking the "Run" button.

It does require patience when you make the shots, and a very stable tripod. Whenever I do my artifact work, or any macro work or things like the dandelion shot, I shoot MUP to get the mirror flap out of the equation as well. And, of course, cable release. And before you start the "slicing" series, you gotta go through the fast mental checklist that the tripod column is locked up, all the ballhead knobs are tight, the tripod isn't on bouncy grass that's pushing back at it, etc., etc. And the evil nemesis Wind isn't there..... Or, as I did in many of my images for my 135 gallery, shoot carefully but furiously between gusts. And light conditions must be constant from layer to layer.

With a manual lens and out in the field where tethering is not an option, you have to look at the object carefully and think about where the focus layers should be. Go to what you think is the nearest part of the object to the lens, focus at that point until the dot appears in the viewfinder, then back up from that level a hair until it looks as if you've backed right out of all focus points.... Click that shutter there, regardless of what it looks like in the viewfinder. Then start the other way, down the layers through your object, taking care to "overshoot" the back side of it the same way you shot an "early layer" on the front side. You might end up throwing out the first and last layers, but you have them for safety's sake. The reason why you must do this is nothing kills a beautiful Helicon Focus stacked image like having the nearest part of your subject out of focus.... The eye goes right to it. The dandelion would have been a screaming example of this. Fortunately, I've learned my lessons.

One squirrely area with me is using Live View, which is a lot easier in the D800 or D800E than it was in the D3x. To tell you the truth, I just lose patience with it, and it introduces additional opportunity for the camera to be moved with all the focusing and hitting the buttons. This is just me, others might opt for LV when shooting layers. I occasionally use it to prep for single shot photography, usually getting the focus in LV, then coming out of Live View, going to MUP and taking the final shot. I usually opt for LV when for some reason I just can't be sure of the image in the viewfinder. But to do this in 8-15-20 layers for Helicon Focus, project after project, will put you in the deepest ward of the local asylum.

Helicon's algorithm seems to have vastly improved in the past two years. I know this because I shoot artifact photography all the time, week in and week out.

There are all sorts of possbilities using HF. You might shoot a whole complicated object with a solid surface and get a depth of field and clarity/sharpness you'd never get with a single shot, or you might just tweak the depth of field, maybe shoot 3-5 images in a fast slicing series to turn what otherwise would be a bokeh dominated study shot for us photo geeks into a publishable, sales-worthy print for the rest of the world. I can't emphasize enough the advantages of this. The first time you pull it off, you'll never look back. It's a tool every serious shooter should have. Doesn't work every time, but it works a very high percentage of the time, and when it does, you have something all together different in your galleries. Now you're in a position to "paint depth" into any image to the degree you want. But you get the best of both worlds: you get sweet range (for the 100/2 or 135/2, f/4 to 5.6, maybe stretched to f/8) sharpness and bokeh, with the depth you'd otherwise only be able to have coupled with loss of quality (diffraction) at f/16 and beyond, not to mention sluggish shutter speeds or having to shoot away from ISO 100 or 200 and introducing noise.

Here's a series using some of the component layers of HF images done with the 135/2. It's set up so you can look hard at the clarity, detail, sharpness and bokeh of each original layer image and then quickly compare it to the final HF image. That should make the points I talk about here very clear. This is the magic of HF unraveled:

http://danmacdonald.zenfolio.com/heliconfocusstackingdemo/slideshow

Give focus stacking a try.

--Dan

Apr 17, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Ronny Olsson
• • • •
p.845 #20 · p.845 #20 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks

Apr 17, 2013 at 06:24 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password