New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7              1018       1019       end

ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

calvininjax

Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

John,

Thanks for the scenes from Dallas. You made me feel a little "homesick".

Snowboarder,

Like Philber, my jaw also dropped at those stunning shots. What is the location? It is certainly more dramatic than the east coast of Florida. Waves breaking on rocks, now there's a novelty.

Feb 09, 2010 at 06:27 AM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

John....so, what is your impression of ZE100 vs. C/Y Planar100...

I'd love to have macro and general mid tele in one lens set-up.
I'm waiting and see if it is worth to sell N100/2.8 and C/Y Planar 100/2.0...and get ZE100.

It is very tempting so far....

Feb 09, 2010 at 03:02 PM
John Black
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Hi Paul - The weather has been dismal here, so I've not had much opportunity to use the 100/2 ZE yet. Snowboarder's beach images look great to me, and based upon some quick snaps around the house, I think the 100/2 ZE has the same character as the Contax's. The focus ring on my 100/2 ZE has a reasonably light action - and is a HUGE improvement over the 100/2 ZF I tried a year ago. Wide open I think the ZE is sharper than the Contax's. Stopped down, they are same. That's a broad opinion and I need 6-12 months with the lens across a wide range of conditions.

Feb 09, 2010 at 04:29 PM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

John....I appreciate your reply.....
I'll just sit back and relax for awhile....
I really like my both lenses....and N100/2.8 has 1:1 macro capability...
And it does show similar 3-D look....

Feb 09, 2010 at 04:57 PM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

another kind of beach photos today

Feb 10, 2010 at 04:37 AM
SKumar25
• • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Awesome shots Snowboarder. Which lens/es did you use?

Feb 10, 2010 at 04:46 AM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

SKumar25 wrote:
Awesome shots Snowboarder. Which lens/es did you use?

Thanks, the 1st one is from 21 ZE, following two - 35 ZE

Feb 10, 2010 at 04:56 AM
zombii
• • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Those shots that you've done with the 35 are my favorites Snowboarder. Really liked the one of the pier too.

Feb 10, 2010 at 05:51 AM
zombii
• • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

John Black wrote:
The weather has been dismal here,

+10 Dismal, miserable and pukey. Cabin fever isn't getting much relief this winter. Every sunny day, and there haven't been many, I try to get out and shoot something, anything. Ack!

Feb 10, 2010 at 05:57 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Snowboarder,

The first one with the 21 has a lot of distortion going on with the buildings on the left and the leaning line of poles on the right. Are using the grad filter in LR for those first two shots?

Feb 10, 2010 at 07:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

philber
• • • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Can't comment. Hands too busy trying to hold together dismembered jaw at the sight of first pic. Much hate.

Feb 10, 2010 at 07:24 AM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Some attempts from the 50MP.

Edit: Last shot removed, because it does not say anything about the lens

Edited on Feb 14, 2010 at 09:25 PM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2010 at 04:18 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I would have never believed that I would shoot landscape at f/1.4, but in this photo I wanted to separate the forest after the hill. "Multivuori 2" - Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/85 @ f/1.4, 1/2500s, ISO 100:

"Golden shoe" - Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/28 @ f/2, 1/80s, ISO 800:

And few handhold makros with Makro-Planar 100 ZE. Electronic aperture makes handhold makro shooting much easier compared to ZF. Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 @ f/2, 1/160s, ISO 800, flash:

Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 @ f/9, 1/160s, ISO 1600, flash (lightning and technique definetly not on Jim Schemel level...):

Feb 11, 2010 at 06:38 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Samuli, your "forest in the snow" is a wall-hanger! And any reason why your IBM keyoard is slightly slanted? Is your pic of the sports shoe solely designed to make me feel like an idiot for refusing to buy that lens?

Feb 11, 2010 at 06:47 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

philber wrote:
Samuli, your "forest in the snow" is a wall-hanger!
Thanks!

And any reason why your IBM keyoard is slightly slanted? a) since I suck at handhold shooting b) focusing at 1:2 handhold using optical viewfinder with f/2 is so difficult that I had to shoot ~10 frames to get one in focus, that happened to be slanted. Of course I could have cheated and straightened that in post but that is cheating. Lesson learned; bring the tripod indoors day before you are going to buy new lens (it was outdoors and it was -12C so I didn't want to bring it indoors just to shoot few test frames)

Is your pic of the sports shoe solely designed to make me feel like an idiot for refusing to buy that lens? No it's there to show people how ugly bokeh rings (sharp edges) and green bokeh CA in window on left this lens has so nobody won't have to buy it... However I don't know why you would need it, you have ZE35 already. ZE28's rendering seems this far slightly less 3D-ish but otherwise very similar, but to form my final opinion I need to shoot much more with it.

ZE lenses have shown me also that 5DmkII is quite OK at ISO 800 & ISO 1600, I have earlier been a little too much afraid of using anything more than 400. But it seems that A3 printing suffers from high ISOs, but A4 is still OK.

Feb 11, 2010 at 07:10 AM
John Black
• • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

I like those 28/2 bokeh circles and try to engineer them into the shot if it makes sense (to me), such as -

Regarding the CA in the bokeh, that's part of Zeiss' nature - be it the Contax RTS', N's, Zeiss Zx' or Hass's. But, I also see it in so, so, so many other lenses - Canon L's, Leica's M's, Mamiya 645M & 645AF's... I'm sure somebody will reply that XYZ lenses never does it. Perhaps there are some, but in my experience, every lens I've owned will produce some form of the CA in the bokeh given the right mix of aperture, background distance, lighting and subject matter.

I don't mean to debunk your criticism Samuli, but if I eliminated every lens from my kit based on CA in the bokeh, I wouldn't have any lenses. I've had to come to peace with the CA, and so long as CA is not in the plane of focus, I'm happy. Even minor CA doesn't bother me (much) because just about every RAW editor has some type CA removal tool.

Coming back to the 28/2 ZE, I feel that lens has improved compared to the Contax AE / MM versions. The ZE's wide-open performance is very good whereas the original Contax's had varying degrees of halation - which could be a nice effect at times, but overall, that's not a trait I like in a lens.

Feb 11, 2010 at 06:17 PM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

John, it was not meant to be criticism but more like joke since we have people here who only look to "school book of optics" and bokeh is bad according to them if highlight circles have sharp edges - at least this is one of the most frequent asked thing from me whenever there is discussion of bokeh "do you have any 100% crops of highlight bokeh circles" - personally I try to avoid placing highlights to bokeh since they will "steal" the attention from main subject and therefore weaken composition unless they are essential part of it like in your picture. I try to be more clear next time I'm joking, maybe using actual smiley instead of "..." would have made it more clear, sorry about this.

For me the circles look fine, absolutely no problem with them. Also I find the transition from DOF to bokeh very pleasing in 2/28, similar to almost all Zeiss lenses. And more or less I do not care of highlight circles, the character of bokeh is much more important to me.

Regarding bokeh CA (this was also not meant to be serious criticism), you are right it's not only present in Zeiss lenses, and like you if that would be criteria for lens selection any of my lenses won't be usable. However I disagree about the software correction, it can fix CA in focal plane but with bokeh CA I have not been very successful, this is because normal CA can be corrected by "scaling" color layers separately so that the pixels will match - but in bokeh CA this won't work since it's about distance from lens, not distance from center of image circle which affects to amount and direction of correction.

But the few times I have been out with this lens I was somewhat disappointed since I did not get much 3D-effect to photos. Based on experience with Distagon 2.8/28 I would have expected many of my shots produce 3D-effect but the photos didn't work out well. When I don't get 3D-effect I also don't get "feeling of being there" when watching photo and I don't like that. Let's see year from now when I have shoot much more with the lens, maybe there is some trick to get this lens "working" for me, which might be possible since this has very different nature than 2.8/28; ZE 2/28 is very sharp even at f/2, while the f/2.8 version is sharp only from center starting f/4 and corners need f/8-11. I didn't have the privilege to shoot with C/Y 2/28 but I have seem few great shots with taken with it, so I have a lot of expectations for this lens.

Feb 11, 2010 at 06:55 PM
calvininjax

p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

John,

That makes very good sense. A super shot. Thanks for sharing.

Samuli,

The snow shot is fabulous. I cannot wait to see further shots with the ZE 28/2.

It is always a joy to see images produced from these lenses when they are in such capable hands.

Feb 12, 2010 at 04:13 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

While visiting Helsinki (capitol of Finland) I was planning to compare 85ZE and 100ZE to figure out, which one is picked with me when I travel and cannot carry all lenses. Well like usually, things don't go as planned, I really could not figure out this, but somehow I prefer the drawing style of 85ZE. However it's really pain in the #ss to use since it has strong focus shift at short distances (focusing at f/2.8 with DOF button pressed down, would need 3rd hand...). I think I have to continue solving this 100 vs 85 dilemma later.

I also had 28ZE and 50ZE with me. 28ZE proved out to be real performer, while I could not get anything interesting out from 50ZE, I have to compare to 1.7/50C/Y since I feel I would have got results I wanted with C/Y but not with 50ZE - this also need more testing and learning new lens.

Some images from today:
Helsinki 1 "Quality furniture at Hotel Omena" - Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/28 @ f/2, 1/40s, ISO 1600
Helsinki 2 Botanic garden - Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 @ f/7.1, 1/200s, ISO 400
Helsinki 3 Lutheran Cathedral - Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/28 @ f/2, 1/30s, ISO 125:
Helsinki 4 Lutheran Cathedral - Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/28 @ f/2.8, 1/80s, ISO 800:
Helsinki 5 Lens rendering test - Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1.4/85 @ f/5.6, 1/250s, ISO 100:
Helsinki 6 Lens rendering test - Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/85 @ f/5.6, 1/250s, ISO 100:
Helsinki 7 Lens rendering test - Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/28 @ f/5.6, 1/200s, ISO 100:

Feb 13, 2010 at 07:47 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Phil and Samuli,

Very very nice photos. You're gonna make me spend a fortune on a new Canon body and a few (maybe around 8) ZE lenses

Feb 13, 2010 at 07:56 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password