Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              352      
       354              972       973       end

ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

philber
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.353 #1 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Bob, another piece of great work IMHO, with the first and third being the strongest.
Lars, more inspiration from you! And thanks for the kind words...

Apr 13, 2011 at 04:34 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.353 #2 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Great shot, Lars! Great capture of the smoke and the light.

Apr 13, 2011 at 04:45 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.353 #3 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

carstenw wrote:
Great shot, Lars! Great capture of the smoke and the light.

What he said . . . for sure!

Apr 13, 2011 at 05:24 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.353 #4 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

carstenw wrote:
I think maybe I am guilty of emphasizing my doubts more than my likes. I do really enjoy the lens. It is very sharp, has great boke close up, and has surprisingly few aberrations, like the minimal purple even in high-contrast areas, although I need to examine its field curvature wide open. I just find myself a bit surprised by the boke at medium distances, and its ability to isolate. I mentioned this earlier, but the harsh light and very distracting backgrounds may have been at fault. I will try to do something less extreme next weekend, provided I find
...Show more

I am beginning to see what the problem was last weekend. First of all, the diopter was close, but not right, and so I had a consistent back-focus problem. This makes the background look sharper than it should, and the subject softer than it should, throwing off my ability to sharpen correctly without getting weird happenings in the background.

Secondly, I for some reason had an inordinately large number of shots with a dark foreground and a light background, which also tends to de-emphasize the foreground, everything else being equal.

Thirdly, there was a lot of messy stuff in the foreground, somewhat compromising my ability to find a good place to capture from, especially considering that I was standing on the edge of a swamp much of the time.

Finally, The 50MP does seem to have a somewhat large depth of field for a 50/2, meaning that I don't lose as much of the detail in the background as I am used to.

Having corrected point 1, and being aware of points 2, 3 and 4, I will go out again with this lens again this coming weekend, and give it another shot. I will try to get some more distance between foreground and background, keeping the foreground brighter and the background darker, and rigorously checking focus, maybe even using Live View.

Has anyone here got any experience with the Zacuto or LCDVF display loupes for landscape work and live view? Are they worth the money? Do you really use them? Are they very bulky so that they stay home most of the time? Can they be unmounted and remounted in the field easily? Is it easier to focus with one than just with the optical viewfinder?

--

Here is one more shot, perhaps the last from this trip. It is also back-focused, but at this size, it isn't so easy to see.

Apr 13, 2011 at 08:25 PM
Mast3rChi3f
• •
p.353 #5 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Bob amazing job on the first and last one, i love it.

21mm

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:20 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.353 #6 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Hugo - Brilliant as always. Your familiarity with this coastline reminds me of an area on Lake Michigan I shoot quite often and it's always different.

Here's some indoor church scenes. The first from Barcelona and the second from Paris. Both were shot with the 21mm Distagon.

Apr 14, 2011 at 06:54 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.353 #7 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Thanks for the kind words Akul and Philippe!
Great shots everyone!

Apr 14, 2011 at 06:56 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.353 #8 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Bob, that second shot is stunning! You should print it and hang it.

Apr 14, 2011 at 07:13 AM
akul
• • •
p.353 #9 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Bob - Stunning window shots from different churches, cathedrals. Great use of 21. Love the way how you find ways to use 21 for almost everything. One particularly caught my eyes was the empty champagne bottle left in some sort of courtyard. Great rendition of bottle, and quite lovely bokeh

Lars - Great capture of a welder with light and smoke. Beautiful detail of surroundings. I love the rendition of paint pealing wall in the back.

Carsten - Very interesting analysis of 50MP related to your shot results. What caught my attention most was the DOF part. That is understandable due to shorter focal length compared to 100MP. One particular characteristics that makes 100MP quite lovely and challenging is its extremely shallow DOF. Lovely shot of trees. To my eyes, focus is on the top part of downed tree trunk in the middle where it bends down. If it was back focused, may be the piece was bending away ? Lovely color, very natural and pleasing to my eyes.

Hugo - Great coast shot with 21. Texture on the rock is very nice. Beautiful work

Akul

Apr 14, 2011 at 07:24 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.353 #10 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

carstenw wrote:
Bob, that second shot is stunning! You should print it and hang it.

Second that !!!

Apr 14, 2011 at 07:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rji2goleez
• • • •
p.353 #11 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Carstenw - Thanks, I will probably do that!
akul - that champagne bottle sits on the wall in front of palace in Brussels.
Philippe - Thanks!

Apr 14, 2011 at 07:39 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.353 #12 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Great shot Lars.
Hugo, great as usual.
That last shot is stunning Bob.

Carsten, interesting to read your experiences with the 50MP.
I've had a zacuto z-finder. Didn't really like it for photo. I prefer the viewfinder. It does work but you really see the individual pixels of the display. A plus is that it allows you to use slower shutterspeeds, because it stabilises the camera. Mounting/remounting is really easy and fast.
I think it's a matter of personal preference.

Apr 14, 2011 at 08:13 AM
Dergiman
• • •
p.353 #13 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

rji2goleez wrote:
Here's some indoor church scenes. The first from Barcelona and the second from Paris. Both were shot with the 21mm Distagon.

Nice! But Bob, you are now responsible that i just ordered a ZE21!

Apr 14, 2011 at 09:06 AM
alkanphel
• •
p.353 #14 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Bob: That second shot with the little idol on the opposite wall with hands outstretched to receive the light streaming in is simply beautiful!

Apr 14, 2011 at 09:38 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.353 #15 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

akul wrote:
Carsten - Very interesting analysis of 50MP related to your shot results. What caught my attention most was the DOF part. That is understandable due to shorter focal length compared to 100MP. One particular characteristics that makes 100MP quite lovely and challenging is its extremely shallow DOF. Lovely shot of trees. To my eyes, focus is on the top part of downed tree trunk in the middle where it bends down. If it was back focused, may be the piece was bending away ? Lovely color, very natural and pleasing to my eyes.

With respect to depth of field, I think that the 50MP has a large depth of field even for a 50/2, not just compared to the 100MP. For example, it is also well known that the 21 Distagon has an abnormally large depth of field for its specs, and I think the 50MP might also have some of this.

The place you describe is where I focused, and it is sharp there. However, the grass just behind it is even sharper, and this was my diopter problem. When I sharpen, the background gets sharp before my focused area, which causes problems. This photo was one of the best results, others were much more problematic, and I had to give up on them.

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:16 AM
fracas
• •
p.353 #16 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

akul wrote:
Bob - Stunning window shots from different churches, cathedrals. Great use of 21. Love the way how you find ways to use 21 for almost everything. One particularly caught my eyes was the empty champagne bottle left in some sort of courtyard. Great rendition of bottle, and quite lovely bokeh
Akul

+1 !!!
Bob, I love your shots from across Europe ... when will you come to Italy?

John, thanks for your comment!

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:42 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.353 #17 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Bob, Carsten, Akul & Jochenb, thanks for your kind comments.

Bob, Francesco & Hugo really great shots also

Apr 14, 2011 at 01:52 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.353 #18 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

ZE 21/2,8

ZE 100/2

Apr 14, 2011 at 01:58 PM
OneAnt
• • •
p.353 #19 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Edited on Dec 16, 2012 at 09:17 AM · View previous versions

Apr 14, 2011 at 02:17 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.353 #20 · ZE/ZF/ZM Images (Official Thread!)

Dergiman wrote:
Nice! But Bob, you are now responsible that i just ordered a ZE21!

You'll blame me until you get it and thank me once you've used it!

Apr 14, 2011 at 05:12 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password