Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2010 · How to clean camera grip/rubber area?

brad_s
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to clean camera grip/rubber area?

Just bought a used camera and the rubber grip area seems to have lost its tackiness. It's not smooth and worn out. Is there any cleaner out there that can maybe restore some the grip. Otherwise, if there isn't any clean what have people done to clean the rubber on their camera.

Thanks.

Jan 11, 2010 at 08:19 PM
Dpic_arctic
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to clean camera grip/rubber area?

So it's like hard plastic now?

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:20 PM
S30L28

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to clean camera grip/rubber area?

Do you mean the grip is kind of faded out/ whiteish now?

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:22 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to clean camera grip/rubber area?

Just bought a used camera and the rubber grip area seems to have lost its tackiness.

Do you actually mean the opposite as in the grip has become sticky due to finger goo or chemical residue buildup? A new grip isn't tacky in the least. It's dry but easy to hold onto due to the texture of the rubber. Tackiness is usually a result of oil and other acidic body fluids interacting and breaking down the rubber. If it's really bad you can peel off the rubber and glue on new ones. Might be a good opp to customize with snake or lizard skin.

I use a soft toothbrush with a little windex (no ammonia) to clean off finger dung, beer and soda. Shooting in bars is kinda dangerous.

Jan 12, 2010 at 03:34 AM
camerapapi
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to clean camera grip/rubber area?

I always clean the exterior of my cameras after use, especially when I use the camera close to the ocean. I use a damp rag adding a mild soap solution at times. Then I let the camera dry out and use a leather conditioner over the rubber parts.
It has worked for me and the rubber on my cameras look like new.

Wiliam Rodriguez
Miami, lorida.

Jan 12, 2010 at 03:51 AM
mfreardon
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to clean camera grip/rubber area?

Here is some information on a similar thread:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/854918

Hope it helps.

Jan 12, 2010 at 09:56 AM
brad_s
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to clean camera grip/rubber area?

Thanks for the responses. The closest description that I can give is that it is slightly hard but not quite. It only feels smooth but really isn't smooth and flat.

It's not the opposite so it's not sticky. I agree that a new grip isn't very "tacky" but compared to smooth plastic like our keyboards camera grips really are tacky simliar to say a new recreational ping pong paddle (not the pro ping pong paddles for those of you who know what I mean ).

Hope this helps. I'll give the cleaning a try and I suppose we're not to get the camera too wet in the process.

Jan 12, 2010 at 06:25 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to clean camera grip/rubber area?

I use 303 aerospace protectant. Does not leave rubber surfaces slick or oily, and restores faded rubber rings to like-new condition. If your camera grips are worn out, you can get them replaced by Canon relatively inexpensively. I think they charged me $12 as a CPS Platinum member to change them on a 1DX when I sent it in for a clean & check.

Aug 23, 2017 at 03:51 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to clean camera grip/rubber area?

You can replace your grips if you like D.I.Y.

Aug 23, 2017 at 04:08 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to clean camera grip/rubber area?

Replacing the grip cover is usually inexpensive and easy, just peel off the old and put the new on, they come with removable adhesive, as long as you keep them clean, they can be removed and re-installed.

Aug 23, 2017 at 11:35 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.