Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · Tripods with horizontal center column?

Jos Tesseract
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tripods with horizontal center column?

I've been eyeing the Manfrotto 055/190 xpro's for the last while and I was wondering if anyone knows of another brand with the horizontal center column feature.

Or is that a feature that only Manfrotto has?

- Happy Holidays
Jos

Dec 25, 2009 at 04:06 PM
Dan Martin
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tripods with horizontal center column?

Gitzo Explorer series would be another option. Feisol and a few other companies have horizontal adapters, but they're a pain to use because you have to remove the column, install the plate, then screw the adapter on and install the column horizontally. In other words, it's not something you're going to do spontaneously in the field.

Dec 25, 2009 at 04:34 PM
dgcrane
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tripods with horizontal center column?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/846428/0#7896260

I am happily shocked to say I love it.

dgcrane

Dec 25, 2009 at 04:46 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tripods with horizontal center column?

do not equate the explorer 22xx with the 25xx series explorer. the support weights is over 2x of the original. i have been working with the GT2540ex since it came out. it is my travel/macro/grab setup since i got it. the only thing i have changed on it was the markins M10 to the RRS BH40.

now there are still some more then subtle differences between the Gitzo design and the induro in this particular arena and the induro does come up short in the fixed angle leg spread. but for some it obviously is not a limitation that is noteworthy. i am rather amused to watch the Gitzo cartel being attacked from all fronts.

i have to admit though in this case i'll still go for this particular model from gitzo. and that is only until RRS gets done designing/developing its replacement

Dec 25, 2009 at 04:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tripods with horizontal center column?

The Giottos/Benro/Induro family has series with a tiltable center column. It's similar to the Manfrotto in that the column is pulled to the top then it can be adjusted in tilt as well as extension where the Manfrotto is a fixed angle. Bogen and perhaps others also make an arm that can be attached to the top of the center post or to the tripod head which can be adjusted for side extension, attachments of heads, etc.

Dec 26, 2009 at 06:40 AM
hcwaterfowl

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tripods with horizontal center column?

I just got the Vangaurd 264 and just love it. It has the center tilt column and fits my large video camera just great. I'm sure with the 1D it will be perfect.

Dec 26, 2009 at 01:52 PM
dirb9
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tripods with horizontal center column?

Look at Benbo (not Benro) tripods. The center column's orientation is independent of the legs, and therefore can go vertically, horizontally, or any angle in between.

Dec 26, 2009 at 03:39 PM
Jos Tesseract
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tripods with horizontal center column?

Awesome guys!
I've got my eye on a Giotto MT9250 and Induro AT113
They both can handle my heaviest gear (Rebel XT+70-200 and flash)

Just need to decide now... I'm inclined towards the Induro for it's better weight capacity and included spikes (ya never know, right?)

Dirb9 - as much as I would love one of those, it's not carried by local dealers.

Dec 31, 2009 at 04:08 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password