Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · 7D Battery

Alan Kefauver
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 7D Battery

Bought an aftermarket Battery for my 7D. It was advertised as for the 7D and 5DII. When i put it in my 7D the cam says "cannot communicate with battery" and although it works fine there is no battery indication. I have since learned that the Canon batt has a chip in it to communicate with the 7D. Is this the same with the 5DMkII? Or does the AM batt work as intended in the 5DMkII?
Thanks

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:47 AM
Nowhere Man
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 7D Battery

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=2046

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:49 AM
Alan Kefauver
• • •
p.1 #3 · 7D Battery

OK, anybody want to buy an aftermarket LP-E6 battery pack with charger?
We live and learn.

Dec 24, 2009 at 01:13 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · 7D Battery

AFAIK, all the cheap generic 7D/5DII batteries will not fully communicate with the camera or the Canon OEM charger. I haven't seen any 'chipped' generics but the ones that I've heard about are about the same price as the Canon.

Omar

Dec 24, 2009 at 01:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

winman3
• •
p.1 #5 · 7D Battery

I respect the technology, research, testing, marketing, etc. etc. that goes into new products, but that ever-present BS about using anything other than original maker's stuff is truly sickening.

With some cars, inkjet printers and now batteries (?) it seems that makers make more & more $$$ on accessories and parts.
I have a 7D, have not bought a second battery yet, but when the time comes I will not be concerned whether the camera will show its level or not. If the specs seem suitable, I'll buy a SterlinkTek or other battery.

A battery is just that: a portable power source with certain specifications for a particular application.

Dec 24, 2009 at 04:28 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · 7D Battery

winman3 wrote:
I respect the technology, research, testing, marketing, etc. etc. that goes into new products, but that ever-present BS about using anything other than original maker's stuff is truly sickening.

With some cars, inkjet printers and now batteries (?) it seems that makers make more & more $$$ on accessories and parts.
I have a 7D, have not bought a second battery yet, but when the time comes I will not be concerned whether the camera will show its level or not. If the specs seem suitable, I'll buy a SterlinkTek or other battery.

A battery is just that: a portable power source
...Show more

But if you do that you have the extra hassle of needing to use the charger that came with your knock off battery as the Canon one wont charge it.
As a back up it may be a good idea but only as a backup. (could not imagine using one without any bat info in a situation where you needed to shoot and couldn't re shoot)
There are chipped knock offs but they are still pretty expensive and the Canon version has come down in price alot BH $63, and some off the knock offs are around that.
the one good thing is that the new battery seems to last along time compared to the older bp-511 in the xxD series

Dec 24, 2009 at 07:28 AM
Alan Kefauver
• • •
p.1 #7 · 7D Battery

I was thinking od selling this battery and getting a Canon one, but when I checked how much I paid.... It cost $12. So I guess I'll keep it as an emergency backup and get a GenYouWIne Canon one from B&H.
As I said before. we live and we learn.

Dec 24, 2009 at 02:31 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · 7D Battery

winman3 wrote:

A battery is just that: a portable power source
...Show more

Be glad you can change the battery. The new Macbook has a non user swapable battery. Battery replacement is return to Apple.

Dec 24, 2009 at 06:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password