Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2009 · 7D Aspect Ratio
  
 
jdnphotography
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D Aspect Ratio


In C.Fn IV -4 Add aspect ration information.

has anyone changed this setting? I'm use to my 20D files cropping the original aspect to 8x12 which is the original aspect

what ration on the 7D would be 8x12?



Dec 21, 2009 at 03:28 PM
photomarvin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D Aspect Ratio


wouldn't that just be standard 2x3? I have a feeling I'm not understanding the question


Dec 21, 2009 at 03:37 PM
jdnphotography
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D Aspect Ratio


i wanna open the file right from the 7D in photshop/lightroom and crop 8x12. And the crop should fill the entire file. so it should be a 8x12 ratio


Dec 21, 2009 at 03:41 PM
mkweaver
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D Aspect Ratio


As stated above by photomarvin: wouldn't that just be standard 2x3?

To get that ratio, divide 4 into eight (2) and 4 into 12 (3) and you get the 2x3 ratio. So, what's the problem?



Dec 21, 2009 at 03:47 PM
Alex Goykhman
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D Aspect Ratio


They teach that in 4th grade I believe.


Jan 03, 2010 at 10:18 AM
keithreeder
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D Aspect Ratio


The aspect ratio information only gets read by DPP anyway - says so very clearly on page 216.


Jan 03, 2010 at 11:02 AM
Chris Beaumont
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D Aspect Ratio


Can you change aspect ratio in-camera? ie crop to 10x8 or 7x5 or something? This isn't making much sense.


Jan 03, 2010 at 09:05 PM
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D Aspect Ratio


It's a 3:2 ratio as normal.


Jan 03, 2010 at 09:22 PM
davenfl
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D Aspect Ratio


Chris Beaumont wrote:
Can you change aspect ratio in-camera? ie crop to 10x8 or 7x5 or something? This isn't making much sense.


It is used by live view to give you a simulated view of what the set aspect ratio would look like and shown on the LCD. The image is saved to the CF as it normally would but when you open the image in DPP it will automatically crop the image for you. 6 different pre-programmed aspect ratios are available as shown on page 216 of the user manual. The whole image is still captured in the file.

Dave



Jan 03, 2010 at 09:31 PM
Chris Beaumont
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D Aspect Ratio


Ah that makes more sense, that's quite clever. Fairly pointless....but clever.


Jan 03, 2010 at 10:08 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D Aspect Ratio


Chris Beaumont wrote:
Ah that makes more sense, that's quite clever. Fairly pointless....but clever.



I thought the feature was neat, if I could make use of it. Most of my clients order 8x10's thinking "that's what the camera makes", but they don't realize the aspect ratio of 8X10 is a 4X5 negative, not a 3:2.

There's been times when I've not been mindful enough to leave enough in the composition that it's suitable for an 8x10.




Jan 03, 2010 at 11:24 PM
Chris Beaumont
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D Aspect Ratio


If I'd used live view on my 40D more than about twice in the 2 years I've owned it I'd be inclinded to agree, but I haven't.

I seem to remember reading that the D2x used to offer 10x8 viewfinder cropping, that seems a lot more useful to my way of working.



Jan 03, 2010 at 11:31 PM
Gochugogi
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7D Aspect Ratio


jdnphotography wrote:
In C.Fn IV -4 Add aspect ration information.

has anyone changed this setting? I'm use to my 20D files cropping the original aspect to 8x12 which is the original aspect

what ration on the 7D would be 8x12?


The full frame default (2:3) of the 7D yields a 4x6, 6x9, 8x12, 12x18, etc. If you want the ratios for 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, etc., you have to change the default. In actual use it doesn't matter as you can crop in PS however you want. Besides, only DPP can read the RAW recipe.



Jan 04, 2010 at 12:14 AM
robstein
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7D Aspect Ratio


I initially thought this would be a great feature - assuming it would project the selected aspect ratio as a box or lines somehow in the viewfinder....... alas, as with a number of other good ideas Canon crippled it


Jan 04, 2010 at 12:24 AM
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7D Aspect Ratio


Chris Beaumont wrote:
If I'd used live view on my 40D more than about twice in the 2 years I've owned it I'd be inclinded to agree, but I haven't.

I seem to remember reading that the D2x used to offer 10x8 viewfinder cropping, that seems a lot more useful to my way of working.



I will agree with that. See, I'm in the same boat. I only used live view for tests and that's about it.



Jan 04, 2010 at 02:38 AM
keithreeder
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7D Aspect Ratio


robstein wrote:
I initially thought this would be a great feature - assuming it would project the selected aspect ratio as a box or lines somehow in the viewfinder....... alas, as with a number of other good ideas Canon crippled it


You'll need to send them an email to tell them to take more notice of your completely unfounded assumptions then...



Jan 04, 2010 at 05:14 AM
Chris Beaumont
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7D Aspect Ratio


RobertLynn wrote:
I will agree with that. See, I'm in the same boat. I only used live view for tests and that's about it.


Other than landscapes (which I don't do enough of) and shots with the cam held over your head "paparazzi style" I find using live view a hinderance rather than a help, 99.999% of the time I'm looking through the viewfinder, and I'd presume so are most other photographers.



Jan 04, 2010 at 11:05 AM
Gijs
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7D Aspect Ratio


Chris Beaumont wrote:
Ah that makes more sense, that's quite clever. Fairly pointless....but clever.


I find it very useful when clients (newspapers) ask for a square photo. Using this function you can see that cropping when reviewing the image on your LCD.

Another client often asks for a 2:1 landscape crop. Unfortunately, this aspect ratio is not offered in the menu.



Jan 04, 2010 at 11:11 AM
Chris Beaumont
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 7D Aspect Ratio


You can change the aspect ration post capture then?


Jan 04, 2010 at 11:35 AM
Jeff
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 7D Aspect Ratio


RobertLynn wrote:
I thought the feature was neat, if I could make use of it. Most of my clients order 8x10's thinking "that's what the camera makes", but they don't realize the aspect ratio of 8X10 is a 4X5 negative, not a 3:2.


I highly doubt your clients are thinking anything about your particular camera's output aspect ratio, unless your clients tend to be several orders of magnitude more photographically informed than the average 4x6 consumer.

Rather, they are likely thinking that an 8x10" print will fit rather nicely in any one of the plethora of 8x10" frames or mats available out there. Good luck trying to find yourself an 8x12" frame/mat at Target or Wally World...



Jan 07, 2010 at 07:41 PM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password