Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2009 · Possible world record

The Image
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Possible world record

For the sake of human life on the ground, I hope his next attachment plate has some safeguards built in.

Dec 14, 2009 at 09:11 PM
astrolucida
• • •
p.3 #2 · Possible world record

astrolucida wrote:
I think what might have happened is that the mounting plate acted like a leaf, spinning quickly around but dropping relatively slowly to the ground.

As the two cameras most certainly have a different weight but not that much different, the system is not in balance and hence one side of the plate would turn down and that would put the whole system spinning. Also, the plate would absorb most of the force when hitting ground.

Oosty wrote:
I don't think the relative mass makes any difference at all. Gravity acts equally on all bodies irrespective of mass which is why a brick and a penny dropped from the same height will hit the ground simultaneously.

Of course they will drop at the same speed - after all, they were attached together by the mounting plate.

However, the mounting plate would not stay horizontal if the weights at its ends are not the same. There is force of gravity affecting to the plate and to each camera. The force depends on the weight of the object, so a heavier object is subjected to a larger force. Though, getting a heavier object moving does require a proportionally larger force, so if the cameras were dropping individually (and in vacuum), there would be no difference in their speed.

But in this case the cameras were attached together, on the mounting plate, and there is air. The air causes a force that resists the falling. This force is acting on the underside of the mounting plate, equally everywhere. However, the heavier camera is pulled more by the gravity, so the plate tilts towards that side.

Now comes the part where only speculation is available. The mounting plate will most certainly begin rotating, but does it rotate horizontally or vertically or both, regularily or irregularily? How much does that rotation affect it aerodynamically? Anyone willing to borrow two cameras and a mounting plate for some tests?

Dec 15, 2009 at 09:13 AM
hans98ko
• • •
p.3 #3 · Possible world record

Something I found unusual about is the amount of dirt on the camera and almost none on the video giving me an impression that the camera fall on soft ground and the video end up on hard ground or water. If that is the case the video actually performed better in this drop test.

Dec 15, 2009 at 09:58 AM
Thats Fresh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · Possible world record

wow. maybe the mud cushioned the fall.

Dec 15, 2009 at 08:25 PM
Gary Lee 44
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · Possible world record

Takes a lickin!

Dec 15, 2009 at 08:36 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.3 #6 · Possible world record

I imagine the video was already running when he jumped...so, did the video tape survive showing a free-falling camera hitting the ground? It would be great to post it (if it survived of course)

Omar

Dec 15, 2009 at 08:36 PM
ppastoris

p.3 #7 · Possible world record

omarlyn, you read my mind

Dec 15, 2009 at 08:45 PM
Paradisiac

p.3 #8 · Possible world record

Magic, just magic! I'm....not going to try this though. haha

Dec 15, 2009 at 08:49 PM
ShutterbugJ
• •
p.3 #9 · Possible world record

Awesome. I wonder what would have happened if the XT had a battery grip and a 17-55/2.8 IS?

My old point and shoot fell down a cliff and hit a ledge about 6 feet down. When I got it back, it kept working (and still works). It was a 2MP HP.

Dec 15, 2009 at 09:05 PM
kresearch

p.3 #10 · Possible world record

Oosty wrote:
I don't think the relative mass makes any difference at all. Gravity acts equally on all bodies irrespective of mass which is why a brick and a penny dropped from the same height will hit the ground simultaneously.

True. Forget about the cameras though. I wonder then... How does the skydiver make it alive... Uhmmmmm...

Dec 15, 2009 at 09:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Adam L
• •
p.3 #11 · Possible world record

what saved it was it's weight.

If it was a 1 series, the impact would've created a mile-wide crater and the camera would be on it's way to the Core.

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:41 PM
brainiac
• • • • •
Account locked
p.3 #12 · Possible world record

Adam L wrote:
If it was a 1 series, the impact would've created a mile-wide crater and the camera would be on it's way to the Core.

Lucky it's weather sealed.

Dec 16, 2009 at 03:01 AM
dasrocket
• • • •
p.3 #13 · Possible world record

I thought the 1 series come with parachutes.

Dec 16, 2009 at 05:27 AM
MTBtrials
• • •
p.3 #14 · Possible world record

I doubt there is any sensor dust left on that XT

Dec 16, 2009 at 05:39 AM
Patrick Elliott
• •
p.3 #15 · Possible world record

Calin Leucuta wrote:
I sold my first DSLR (Rebel XT) to my buddy from Florida

Mental note: If I see a post on the B/S forum, username Calin Leucuta, selling Rebel XT "for a friend" - DO NOT BUY!!!

Dec 16, 2009 at 06:07 AM
chiliman
• •
p.3 #16 · Possible world record

Sounds like another successful UPS delivery.

Dec 16, 2009 at 06:35 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · Possible world record

Truly an amazing story. The last pic is my favorite.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Dec 16, 2009 at 08:08 AM
nfoto
• •
p.3 #18 · Possible world record

chiliman wrote:
Sounds like another successful UPS delivery.

that's probably how he found it.... must've been a door mat out there for it to land under....

Dec 16, 2009 at 08:19 AM
Mike V
• • •
p.3 #19 · Possible world record

Normally when stuff like this happens you keep it as secret as possible.

Otherwise you might be getting a visit from the FAA for not securing your camera rig properly (and not having a safety leash).

I believe the fine is rather large as someone can easily get killed this way.

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:18 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · Possible world record

carlsbadbum wrote:
...Never underestimate the strength of composite plastice, that's why Boeing is building the world's first composite jetliner.

Which had its first flight on Tuesday morning. (No, I didn't take any photos.)

It was cool (but not as cold as last week) and raining here at launch time; and due to weather the planned flight was cut from 5 hours to 3, and it stayed west of the Cascade Mountains; but it was a successful flight by most counts.

Gives another meaning to "Plastic Fantastic."

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:28 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password