Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              13       14       end

Archive 2009 · Best of 2009

BlueRose
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Best of 2009

This is my pick for my 2009 fave - I only got my 40D in July this year, and have been working hard to try and learn how to drive it. This pic was taken while I was attending a Composition course, and we were doing our practical walkabout with our cameras, and I was lucky enough to be in the right place to get this particular shot. Taken with 40D and 70-200 F4 IS (which I totally adore!)

I never dreamed I might one day take a shot like this (or have gear capable of it) and I know this isn't in the same class as the rest of the fantastic images on this post, but I'm really proud of it

Dec 10, 2009 at 09:22 AM
raymondjbarlow
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Best of 2009

2009 has been the best year of my life., owning this business has been a great experience, and I hope I can keep it going until this old body is toast!

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out, been to my workshops, and thanks to all the great FM'ers that help make this site a wonderful place to visit.

24 hours in the hide (5 trips) for this freakin shot?? I must be nuts.

my best wished to everyone for a safe and fun holiday season., be good to the children.

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:45 AM
Hoyt79
• •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Best of 2009

Fantastic images posted thus far!!
This is my favorite from 09'.
Tri-colored heron taking off at Lake Woodruff Wildlife Refuge, Florida.

Jason

Dec 10, 2009 at 02:10 PM
Josh S
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Best of 2009

Wow. As with last year, I'm very impressed and entertained looking through this best of the year thread.

Like many, I've had a bit of a hard time deciding what image to select. Some images are better from a pure photographic stance while others mean more to me due to the shooting circumstances/content and more still just feel right.

The one I have picked is a bit of a combination of these three "types" - though, admittedly, this one might not have much appeal on the technical photographic prowess scale.

This was the first Boreal owl (Aegolius funereus) that I had ever seen and it was a pretty cool little moment. I spent less than a minute looking at this bird as I was sort of in its space. As you can see, it was not easy to get a clean shot, but, this owl is partly trying to hide from other, larger, predatory owls, so you might not always expect to see them out in the open.

Taken in Ontario, winter 2009.

Dec 10, 2009 at 02:16 PM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Best of 2009

Great pics everyone and very interesting to read what makes a pic special for each poster and thanks Ken for starting the thread.
This one is special for me because it captured a special moment of transfer of the fish from the parent Great Crested Grebe to the chick and the chick is in a very submissive position accepting the fish from the parent. I also managed to get down low for the shot and reflections off the nearby boats gave the pic some extra color.
Cheers,
Martin

Dec 10, 2009 at 05:14 PM
wing tong
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Best of 2009

Beautiful moment, Martin.

Dec 10, 2009 at 05:30 PM
danjacquitaylo
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Best of 2009

Wow some really fantastic pics posted so far. I am still waiting for mine...is it the end of 2009 yet

Dec 10, 2009 at 05:34 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Best of 2009

This is a great idea! I don't know what year's offering looked like, but so far, all are incredible captures. My personal best and favorite so far is of this osprey coming in for the landing. Love the bg, lighting and details.
-Quang

Dec 10, 2009 at 05:49 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Best of 2009

Well here's my contribution. A full frame burrowing owl taken in Alviso this past May back when the weather was still good Used my long-gone 50D and 400mm f/5.6. This was one of my first photos I have ever sold at the local gallery. I wish it was on a natural perch. Oh well.

Edited on Dec 10, 2009 at 09:47 PM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2009 at 05:50 PM
bruceali
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Best of 2009

Great images from everyone, here's mine

Dec 10, 2009 at 05:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jloyo001
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Best of 2009

So inspiring! I have seen some fabulous images this year on FM, and you guys havev inspired me to take up this hobby as a wildlife photographer. Im gonna have to wait on this one, now that I just got a new 7D today Maybe I can go take a nicer wildlife shot now than with my 50D??

-Josh

Dec 10, 2009 at 06:30 PM
JgHarrison
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Best of 2009

It was hard for me as 2009 was the best year for me in photography. I would have to go with an image from the special day I spent with this Painted Bunting.

Best wishes to all...

Jason

Dec 10, 2009 at 07:11 PM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Best of 2009

Jason,
So glad you posted this one again. What beautiful colors!
Could never see it often enough!
Martin

Dec 10, 2009 at 07:33 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Best of 2009

Wonderful shot, Conrad! Nice background.

Conrad Tan wrote:
Well here's my contribution. A full frame burrowing owl taken in Alviso this past May back when the weather was still good Used my long-gone 50D and 400mm f/5.6. This was one of my first photos I have ever sold at the local gallery. I wish it was on a natural perch. Oh well.

Dec 10, 2009 at 07:36 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Best of 2009

Awesome color!

JgHarrison wrote:
It was hard for me as 2009 was the best year for me in photography. I would have to go with an image from the special day I spent with this Painted Bunting.

Best wishes to all...

Jason

Dec 10, 2009 at 07:37 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Best of 2009

Magnifique!

dbehrens wrote:
Inspiring series! Here is my favorite this year from Bonaventure Island, Quebec.
Dave

Dec 10, 2009 at 07:39 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Best of 2009

Martin Good wrote:
Great pics everyone and very interesting to read what makes a pic special for each poster and thanks Ken for starting the thread.
This one is special for me because it captured a special moment of transfer of the fish from the parent Great Crested Grebe to the chick and the chick is in a very submissive position accepting the fish from the parent. I also managed to get down low for the shot and reflections off the nearby boats gave the pic some extra color.
Cheers,
Martin

Stunning shot Martin

Dec 10, 2009 at 08:46 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Best of 2009

JgHarrison wrote:
It was hard for me as 2009 was the best year for me in photography. I would have to go with an image from the special day I spent with this Painted Bunting

Best wishes to all...

Jason[/quote
Great shot with beautiful colors Jason

Dec 10, 2009 at 08:48 PM
jloyo001
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Best of 2009

Here is my contribution I was looking through my files and found this picture... It may be just a squirrel, But this was the first time that I found what I really enjoyed about photography and that is taking pictures of the wildlife that surrounds us.. This shot was taken at Piedras Blancas Beach where the elephant seals breed. These squirrels literally would come right up to us. This was taken with my good ol 50d and 70-200 2.8 (before I even considered taking wildlife photos).

Thanks,

Josh

Dec 10, 2009 at 09:08 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Best of 2009

Great thread and a stunningly high standard of offerings so far. Well done one and all!

My favourite has to be this one. Whilst patiently waiting for a train to come into view at Morants Curve just south of Lake Louise I see this big fella coming out of the trees about 100yds away and just ambling along the rail track. What a thrill for a "boy from Scotland"

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:25 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password