Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              13       14       end

Archive 2009 · Best of 2009

bobbytan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Best of 2009

This is beautiful, Will! Love it!

trenchmonkey wrote:
This gets the most hits on my site, lets me off the hook for pickin' one on my own

Dec 09, 2009 at 08:25 PM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Best of 2009

The best seller in the gift shop for December 2010 the customers know what they are doing Roger, great shot.

Rob

Dec 09, 2009 at 08:59 PM
Dave Cornish
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Best of 2009

This shot was fairly special to me because it was part of one of the best days down at one of my favorite spots near my work called the black river riparian forest. The waxwings were absolutely nuts and i decided to try for a close up shot at MFD for my 300mm. This bird was kind enough to give me 5 frames.

Dec 09, 2009 at 09:21 PM
Duane N
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Best of 2009

This image isn't my "best" of 2009 but it is one very special to me...along with the subject in the photograph.

As some of you know I have been photographing a pair of Bald Eagles nesting at Norfolk Botanical Garden in Norfolk, VA since March 2008. I found out about the Eagles after they had already started nesting for the 2008 season so I got a late start documenting this pair of Eagles.

The first two eggs were laid but a Great Horned Owl startled the female early one morning by landing on the edge of their nest and when she jumped up to defend the eggs she stepped on both eggs cracking them. She laid two more but another adult female tried to move into their territory and in the process the next two eggs were left unattended for too long. She laid the fifth and final egg of the season and we all crossed our fingers everything would be fine...not to be.

At 21 days old a growth on the beak of the Eaglet was noticed and it turned out the Eaglet had Avian Pox on it's beak...it was removed from the nest and taken to the Wildlife Center of Virginia.

A lot of time and money was spent on this one patient....the Wildlife Center flat out told us if this Eaglet didn't have the following/support it had it would have been put down due to the cost involved in maintaining the Eagles beak. (It has to be dremeled monthly)

Once the Eagle was no longer considered a patient we were allowed to visit the Wildlife Center and the young Eagle. We got to see what it will have to go through for the rest of it's life to keep the beak in check so it can eat.

I managed one profile shot I wanted to get.

I donate part of my print sales to the care of this one Eagle and the other patients at the Wildlife Center...and I will continue to do this as long as I can.

He has been named "Buddy" and we're not sure what his future holds.

Dec 09, 2009 at 09:58 PM
Larry Williams
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Best of 2009

Ted ellis wrote:
Very cool Larry! Worth a millon!!!!

Ted

Hi Ted,
Thank you for the very nice comment. I'm glad that you feel the way I do about this one.
Larry

Dec 09, 2009 at 10:10 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Best of 2009

Lottsa good images, it would be almost impossible, and perhaps unfair too, to pick a single favourite of mine. That's why I'll pick a few images which appeal most to my non-birder eyes.

Environmental shot: Bobby Tan
Complex behaviour: Kearley
Eagle master: Sanders (So seldom we get to see an eagle in that perspective against such colourful background.)
Best of BIF: Zoomer (in addition to the bird which was hard enough to get, he has very nice composition/environment)
Cliche busting shot: Thang.

Dec 09, 2009 at 10:11 PM
troy bilt
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Best of 2009

This photo was taken on one of my favorite photo trips of the year. We spent a few cloudy hours at the pond. Thing did not look good for the day. Just as the golden hour was inching up on us the clouds opened up and the golden rays hit the fall reflections on the pond.What a great ending to a day with your photo buds.

Thanks for looking.

Dec 09, 2009 at 10:15 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Best of 2009

Tough choice to make, I had so many favorites and firsts this year.
I picked this one because it was my first time seeing a bobcat in the wild
and a first seeing a bobcat kitten. Thanks again Thang
Image 389950 not found

Dec 09, 2009 at 10:44 PM
Wayne Willison
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Best of 2009

I was watching this Great White Egret and while standing there wishing it wasn't so dark, a ray of light came through the cypress canopy. It was as though someone turned on a spotlight.
Image 389951 not found

Dec 09, 2009 at 11:05 PM
Mike Condax
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Best of 2009

I'll throw one in the ring....By the way...all excellent shots so far

Forgot to tell a story...Well no real story here other than a very cooperative Red Shoulder Hawk in the best light possible. It made my day and even my year!

Mike

Dec 09, 2009 at 11:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Brenton Biggs
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Best of 2009

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:08 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Best of 2009

Oh man do I love this annual post!!! What a selection of images Great job guys It is shots like these that turned me on to wildlife photography, amazing work.

This is a tough decision indeed. Should it be an emotional favorite or an image with a broader appeal? I chose the latter leaving the door open for a different post later on

Tim

Belted Kingfisher, female taken laying as low and as motionless as possible in a coasting kayak.
Image 389972 not found

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:25 AM
Hide Takahashi
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Best of 2009

Ken,

Your NH shot is beautiful! You sure did have a great opportunity to catch this beautiful bird. Picking one best shot is not easy but I have to pick this photo.
I was taking some female RTH photos and I was quite close to her. All of a sudden,a male RTH showed up,landing on the female. I backed off a bit but it wasn't good enough to frame the whole wings. It was an awesome experience.

Hide

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:57 AM
Howell7079

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Best of 2009

Wonderful images so far. Here is one of my favorites.

Lyndon

Dec 10, 2009 at 02:00 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Best of 2009

Oh Wow after seeing these, I am ashamed to post mine . Great shots all, and def. a goal of mine to post next year for best of 2010.

Phil

Dec 10, 2009 at 02:10 AM
dbehrens
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Best of 2009

Inspiring series! Here is my favorite this year from Bonaventure Island, Quebec.
Dave

Dec 10, 2009 at 02:49 AM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Best of 2009

Here is one of mine, taken last summer. Beautiful shots all.

Dec 10, 2009 at 03:02 AM
David Israel
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Best of 2009

Ken, I'm cheating a little bit here. This is definitely not my "best" image in terms of technical achievement (sure could have used a polarizer that day), style, composition or even aesthetics. It is, however, representative of my best "effort" in wildlife photography.

Getting this series of shots required a treck in miserably hot and humid conditions. I got as far into this mosquito infested swamp as I possibly dared, trying to use natural cover as my blind while balancing on a log! I was sure that at any moment I was going to take a plunge, along with my 800mm, into the swampy waters.

While I was happy to get the pictures of this greenie, I realized that for the first time in my wildlife photography experience I was willing to do whatever was required to get the shot, without any thoughts of personal creature comforts. I have stood in bone chilling cold winds before in order to get BE shots, but I was totally prepared for the occassion. This time I was unprepared, uncomfortable and I didn't care. All I cared about was the shot. It was a milestone moment for me in how serious I take this hobby.

For me, this was my very best moment as a "photographer" in 2009 and, hence, I chose this image as representative of that moment. It is my best (effort) of 2009.

Now, I'm ready for 2010.

Dave
Image 390027 not found

Edited on Dec 10, 2009 at 04:04 AM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2009 at 03:45 AM
marklankton
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Best of 2009

Wonderful, wonderful images in this thread! I'll play -- this is a big, tough bird called a Blackchested Buzzard Eagle, flying in 60 mph winds over Tercera Barranca near Torres del Paine.

Image 390032 not found

Dec 10, 2009 at 04:00 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Best of 2009

While I was happy to get the pictures of this greenie, I realized that for the first time in my wildlife photography experience I was willing to do whatever was required to get the shot, without any thoughts of personal creature comforts. I have stood in bone chilling cold winds before in order to get BE shots, but I was totally prepared for the occassion. This time I was unprepared, uncomfortable and I didn't care. All I cared about was the shot. It was a milestone moment for me in how serious I take this hobby.

Wow David, that is a great moment to share with us. I only say that because I have been there so many times. To me that so accurately describes one of the most rewarding aspects of wildlife photography, the more difficult the shot the more rewarding it is.

Tim

Dec 10, 2009 at 05:35 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password