Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

3              13       14       end

Archive 2009 · Best of 2009

Thang
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best of 2009

Wow - superb shots Mr. Zoom, Howard, Larry, and Wing. Each has its own special mood and artistic touch!

Dec 09, 2009 at 01:04 PM
seann robinson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best of 2009

i've been looking forward to this thread because i LOVE seeing all the images.

i spent a lot of time this year watching the local burrowing owls but it's really hard to get an interesting image of them because the b/g isn't much and they don't actually DO anything. this image is special to me because i think it reflects the spirit of these pint sized predators. to me, this one just looks......menacing.
Image 389894 not found

Dec 09, 2009 at 01:53 PM
Thomas Sanders
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best of 2009

Thanks for covering for Laura Ken

Here's my favorite shot of 2009 for many reasons.

Ken came up to Seattle on a whirlwind tour and tops on his list was a Bald Eagle.
My good friends Tim K and Bonnie joined in for what turned out to be a magical morning in the kayaks. We hadn't been on the water more than 15 minutes when this magnificent one flew in and landed right in front of the boats. One of those special times in the field when everything comes together. Light, subject, environment and great company. Good times my friends

Tom

Dec 09, 2009 at 02:10 PM
kazman442
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best of 2009

Great images so far!

For me I had to go way back to January to pick my personal favorite, Chad and I went to Iowa to the Mississippi to photograph eagles. It was -10 that day and we stayed out all day long with a lot of action. Lucky for us it had gotten so cold the eagles feed a lot. Hope to make it back there again.

Edited on Dec 09, 2009 at 02:23 PM · View previous versions

Dec 09, 2009 at 02:13 PM
Mr Zoom
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best of 2009

Tom, I'm glad you posted that Eagle shot because it was the best one taken that day. I almost posted one if it perched and decided to go with Harriet in stead.

Ron, another fantastic BE capture for the thread. Your timing and processing on that one are incredible!

Ken

Dec 09, 2009 at 02:18 PM
Mr Zoom
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Best of 2009

trenchmonkey wrote:
This gets the most hits on my site, lets me off the hook for pickin' one on my own

Aren't you glad I spooked em for you TM? Dang, wish I had captured that one

Dec 09, 2009 at 02:22 PM
fishbio
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Best of 2009

I'd made attempts on a number of days to get a photo of a butterfly called a Large marble (Euchloe ausonides). They fly fast and don't land often. I couldn't believe my luck when two which were circling around one another decided to mate and landed right in front of me and stayed longer than I did.

CHeers,

Larry

Dec 09, 2009 at 02:39 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Best of 2009

All posted images are impressive ! The year is not quite over yet though... . We still have 20 or so days to create that once-in-a-life-time, uh, the best image of 2009.

Dec 09, 2009 at 02:45 PM
Sirfishalot
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Best of 2009

I'm with Joshua. I think I still have my best image forthcoming in the next couple weeks, but here is one of my favorites of the year so far. This year was my first encounter with the Short-eared Owl. I previously didn't understand the fascination with these great birds, but that changed pretty quickly once I experienced them. I picked this not only because of the subject, but Fir Island which lies between the banks of the Skagit River is a pretty special place. I don't mind too much that the wing is clipped, I really like the colors, background and sharpness of this SEOIF.

JayT

Dec 09, 2009 at 04:32 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Best of 2009

I only have 22 more days to get a good shot for 2009

Great stuff so far everyone, that is a most memorable opener Mr ZOOM

Karl

Dec 09, 2009 at 04:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Texasgeezer

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Best of 2009

Here is mine. I was very lucky with the light, the pose and no artifacts in the way.

Texas gezzer
Image 389915 not found

Dec 09, 2009 at 04:40 PM
David Israel
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Best of 2009

Ken, thanks for starting this annual thread. This is simply an awesome shot. I love the eye contact that the Harrier is making. Wow. Double wow!

Dave

Mr Zoom wrote:
I was hoping Laura Hughes would pop up and start the annual "Best of 2009" thread this year but she's running late so I'm going to get it started this year.

So, per our FM tradition I'd like to start this thread to showcase everyone's favorite shot of 2009! Please explain a little bit about the image and why it is special to you.

As hard as it might be to choose just a single favorite out the many you've taken this year please start off with just one. It's also a challenge to try and single out one shot that
...Show more

Dec 09, 2009 at 04:41 PM
72chevelle454
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Best of 2009

Mine was just last week. This one has the Zoom stamp of approval on it too

Dec 09, 2009 at 04:49 PM
321photos
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Best of 2009

Incredible images posted so far - great thread!!

Here is one from back in February.

Mark.

Dec 09, 2009 at 05:21 PM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Best of 2009

Wow great stuff so far. Hey Ken thanks for starting this thread. I always enjoy it every year. This year I even have one that I remember as a favourite.

It was one of those special times when a wild creature actually didn't seem to mind me being there for an extended period of time.

Rob

Dec 09, 2009 at 05:22 PM
Hungtran10
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Best of 2009

Mr. Zoomer, you set the bar too high! Your Harriet shot is most impressive. I only have a humble offering this year... a Tern.

I looked through my archives for 2009 and was surprised at how little wildlife shots I actually took. I hate to admit it, but for the 1st 6 months of 2009, I hardly got out to shoot much at all. Finally in July, I met up with Andy and Hanh at Bolsa Chica for a late afternoon walk. I don't know if it was the fresh ocean air blowing across my face, the energy of those feeding terns or just the simple beauty of photographing a bird in flight, but I had a blast. It was like I had rediscovered my enjoyment of wildlife photography. I submit this shot for the Best of 2009 post not because of the pic itself, but that it represented a turning point for me in regards to wildlife photography. I don't think I had ever truly lost my enthusiasm for wildlife photography. It was more like it had gotten buried somewhere under all those long days at work and the ever present needs of taking care of a growing family. Ever since then, I have been making it a point to try to get out more often to shoot and to come onto the Nature forum and participate and see what all you guys are up to. I swear you guys always keep the bar raised so high. But I wouldn't have it any other way. You guys motivate me to go out and shoot and improve my craft. I want to thank you all and wish you and your families a happy holiday.

Cheers to 2010!

- Hung

Dec 09, 2009 at 06:05 PM
Cincy Bruce
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Best of 2009

kazman442 wrote:
Great images so far!

For me I had to go way back to January to pick my personal favorite, Chad and I went to Iowa to the Mississippi to photograph eagles. It was -10 that day and we stayed out all day long with a lot of action. Lucky for us it had gotten so cold the eagles feed a lot. Hope to make it back there again.

Keep me posted if and when you decide to make the trip. I've been wanting to go as well.

Here's mine. This was an exciting moment to see an adult and juvi playing.

Bruce

Dec 09, 2009 at 06:12 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Best of 2009

All these images remind me of how much talent there is here and how lucky we are to see what we see and share it, I am always impressed on this forum, great shots

Dec 09, 2009 at 06:37 PM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Best of 2009

I will let my customers pick. The best seller in the gift shop for December 2010.

Wacky roger
Founding Member Of OOOPs

Dec 09, 2009 at 07:57 PM
Sean Bellay
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Best of 2009

Fantastic shots everyone!

An easy choice for me this year as it's probably my favorite photo of mine, period. I got to spend two amazing days with 4 fox kits in my mom's back woods, a memory that will stick with me forever, which makes the picture all the more special.

Dec 09, 2009 at 08:24 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password