1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2009 · 3D discussion in the canonforum

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · 3D discussion in the canonforum

+1

+1 ... I specifically set the focal point on the edge.

Nov 30, 2009 at 09:29 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · 3D discussion in the canonforum

I'm coming to the conclusion that there are certain controllable factors involved in achieving the 3D effect. Some of these have to do with technique, others to do with aspects of the lens itself, including both global and local contrast and of course plain old resolution.

Most importantly, the culmination of these factors must closely approximate how we see things with the naked eye, in order to be convincing. This means that objects at closer distances may seem 3D if the focal plane "wraps around" them, creating the necessary edge contrast to pull it away from the blurred background, but also maintaining sufficient DoF and necessary local contrast and/or resolution in the foreground to provide all the detail that we expect to see. It is unnatural for an object such as the bear honey bottle to have a blurry face and a sharp outline around the ears, so 3D doesn't happen.

But then we have "3D" scenes in which the DoF extends throughout the entire image. Images that appear to be a window looking into a "real scene". The feeling that we could "step right into it". This tells us that "3D" is not simply a matter of isolating a subject against a blurred background. The reason why these scenes still work is because that is how we see them with our naked eye. Here, it is simply a matter of providing the viewer with a very close approximation to what is seen by the naked eye. Resolution and local/global contrast are the important factors, but we must never forget the role of light/shadow, of course.

All of these factors, regardless of the type of scene, can be controlled to a certain extent. It just so happens that some Zeiss lenses provide optimization of many of these factors "out of the box". A clever shooter should be able to achieve a reasonable 3D effect by the right selection of aperture, lighting, subject-background distances, and post-processing techniques to optimize contrast (both types) and detail.

Nov 30, 2009 at 09:42 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · 3D discussion in the canonforum

RustyBug wrote:
+1 ... I specifically set the focal point on the edge.

And it appears that Wayne did, as well, but it doesn't work unless DoF is deep enough to provide the detail we expect to see in front of that sharp edge.

Nov 30, 2009 at 09:49 AM
Z250SA
• • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · 3D discussion in the canonforum

Has anyone seen 3D in images from a lens with pronounced lateral CA in the same images? Most all lenses show longitudinal CA, which does not affect the rendering of in focus edges. I might have it wrong, but lateral CA affects mostly +-tangential edges which should have a distinct impact on "vrapped DOF´s".

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:56 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · 3D discussion in the canonforum

tag

Nov 30, 2009 at 01:28 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · 3D discussion in the canonforum

RustyBug wrote:
Actually, I did do this to determine the amount of impact from the lens vs. lighting direction. I shot a series of 17 shots (pumpkin for those who may remember) with two different lenses (A1: Canon 28-135 IS vs. B: C/Y 35-70) @ 35mm & a second series (A2: Canon 28-135 IS vs. C: C/Y 80-200) @ 85mm.

Interesting study. Have you thought to control for other variables that you think might affect depth perception?

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · 3D discussion in the canonforum

Interesting study. Have you thought to control for other variables that you think might affect depth perception?

Thanks.

The one thing that comes to mind that I would like to control is lighting quality to see how diffuse vs specular impacts the 3d aspect. My original intent was to see how much impact the light 'wrapping' around the subject came into play.

Since I shoot primarily outdoors ... there I went for my test. Since I couldn't move my lighting, I moved my orientation. In this case, I didn't get a lot of 'wrap around' that I was anticipating that I might get from side lighting ... but of course I did have my light source about 90 million miles away, so it was a little bit on the specular side of things ... not a lot of 'wrapping' going on here.

Maybe I'll try again when we have one of those 'snow clouds' even lit days this winter.

Dec 01, 2009 at 01:06 AM
brainiac
[X]
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · 3D discussion in the canonforum

ontime wrote:

I afraid I am not really interested in this question. When I see the picture, I take it. I don't like being in the studio. I suspect that I have already responded to the factors that affect depth perception in my choice of shot, where I've told my feet to take me, and how I compose the shot. All I then ask for is a lens which routinely makes the scene feel '3D', in that the final image looks more like the view through a window than a painting. Some lenses really do have this quality, and I think that's generally what people are trying to discuss on this gear forum. I can put my hand on my heart and say that I have used some (very expensive) lenses which have a strong tendency to fail at this trick, and some which never fail.

Of course every scene has different 3D intelligibility. That goes without saying, and I think it's off-topic.

Dec 01, 2009 at 05:07 AM
StevenPA
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · 3D discussion in the canonforum

Nicely put, Richard.

Dec 01, 2009 at 09:03 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.