New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              115      
       117              122       123       end

The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

_manny_

Upload & Sell: Off
p.116 #1 · p.116 #1 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

Thanks for the response. Yes I do think it has the look of something like that, some kind of moisture that has dried. I no longer think it can be bubbles and I am sure it's not separation. It's only really visible with a torch.

The seller has let me hold the lens for a few days so I did a whole bunch of tests tonight and it seems exceptionally sharp, really they blow away the Canon and Nikon 35 1,4s, the only place it doesn't perform as well as the AEG version I have is with more distant light sources, e.g. streetlights, in the dark; there was something of a glow around them that I suspect is related to this issue.

I'll have to give it some thought!

It sounds quite adventurous to take apart a lens like the Rokkor. I'm into mechanics but would hesitate to ever try, don't the different elements all need setting very precisely? Or are you an engineer in the optical-mechanical world?

Dec 24, 2014 at 02:14 AM
R.Young
• • •
p.116 #2 · p.116 #2 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

Haha no not at all. I just readjusted the lens whilst using magnified live view on my A7R to get it as sharp as possible. Then I tightened the screws and left it be. It's a total nightmare to put back together though. Took lots of attempts to get it right. Unless you have time to kill I'd give it a miss. I wasted a whole weekend doing mine

Dec 24, 2014 at 09:35 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.116 #3 · p.116 #3 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

Out of interest. Which version of the rollei is it. Old or new? What serial number is it?

Dec 24, 2014 at 09:37 PM
Grenache
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.116 #4 · p.116 #4 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

Sebboh, your daughter is adorable. That last hummingbird shot is really impressive.

West Maui and Monterey Aquarium + ZE 1.4/35.
Jim

Last stand by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

Arsenic and Old Lace by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

Dec 25, 2014 at 01:41 AM
_manny_

p.116 #5 · p.116 #5 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

It's the older type, all metal. The serial number is 57xxxxx so I think that makes it a later one (of the earlier type).

When you said you put it back together using live view to gauge the sharpness I guess you're not referring to setting infinity point? I did that via live view on a few lenses and then just tightened the screws and it worked. Do you mean in terms of setting the different glass elements?

I have often wondered if such things can be done, when one finds an old lens that doesn't behave as well as it should but there is no obvious issue with haze of fungus or scratches etc. Case in point was another 35mm Zeiss 1,4 (Contax AEG) lens I tested out a while back, it was in very good condition but obviously had some issue as at any distance beyond about ten feet it didn't behave like a well corrected lens but instead you could see when zoomed in in live view how optimum contrast and sharpness weren't quite meeting giving that veiling haze look that the Z* type has at f/1,4. It wasn't bad but I knew it should have been better: It was being offered at a bargain price and I thought to myself that, since I assume Zeiss wouldn't have sold glass that behaved like that, perhaps such a lens could be repaired if things had moved inside etc. Or have I misunderstood what you wrote?

In another forum I used to post on someone recommended a gentleman in Holland who repairs old Rollei lenses; I think I will contact him and see if it sounds an easy job to clean this lens as I am convinced now it is just some moisture or residue or something like that on an element and then if it is possible for a professional to do it, will see if the seller is happy to offer a big enough discount to make it worth my while! I tested it again last night and it giving a strange hazy sort of flare with street lights at night that I am pretty sure is down to this issue.

p.s. Merry Christmas! I wonder if it shows I have become too obsessed with photography that I still find myself clicking on photography forums today!

Dec 25, 2014 at 06:01 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.116 #6 · p.116 #6 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

Well my reply proves I'm just the same!

You're correct, I was adjusting what I think was the floating element. I initially was just trying to adjust the infinity setting but the lens came apart so I had to completely reassemble it. I should probably revisit the lens and make sure I've done it properly. You can probably optimise its position for a certain focus distance, I set mine while testing at about 8 metres. To adjust it you simply need to remove the front name plate, then loosen the three screws behind. That enables you to rotate the front element which you will need to adjust using liveview, then retighten the screws. Hope this makes sense

Dec 25, 2014 at 07:23 PM
_manny_

p.116 #7 · p.116 #7 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

It really sounds quite fascinating though something I probably wouldn't try to do myself as I have no real idea about how the insides of lenses work! I did think though that the floating element was part of the design to enable good performance both near and far so even if you set it at a certain distance I think it should perform well at other distances. For me that has been one of the delights of this lens, that it works well at infinity at f1,4 and also close up which I think is quite unusual.

I can imagine it's a long and complicated thing to take them apart though. My thinking was more along the lines of the lens I passed up the chance to buy ages ago because it didn't perform as well as I hope at farther distances but had no scratches or haze - I guess perhaps something had moved inside, if one gets the chance to pick one up at a good price and get it repaired it could make financial sense, especially as this lens is often only being offered at crazy prices in the UK and Europe. My brief experience with old lenses seems to show me quite some variety in performance, not always obvious by external condition. Unless people in the film days simply didn't care about "sharpness at 100%" in the way many do today but I find it hard to imagine a sloppy attitude from Zeiss.

Dec 28, 2014 at 04:21 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.116 #8 · p.116 #8 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

poor 6 image stitch wide open:

Jan 02, 2015 at 06:57 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.116 #9 · p.116 #9 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

I've noticed a lot of Andens photos have their links broken now. A real shame, if you still read follow this thread Anden, it would be great if you could relink them!

I need to take shots with my Contax, it's been a while.

Jan 02, 2015 at 09:26 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.116 #10 · p.116 #10 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

R.Young wrote:
Well my reply proves I'm just the same!

You're correct, I was adjusting what I think was the floating element. I initially was just trying to adjust the infinity setting but the lens came apart so I had to completely reassemble it. I should probably revisit the lens and make sure I've done it properly. You can probably optimise its position for a certain focus distance, I set mine while testing at about 8 metres. To adjust it you simply need to remove the front name plate, then loosen the three screws behind. That enables you to rotate the front element
...Show more

yes, this adjusts just the floating element. the c/y version works the same way. when i got my copy those screws were loose so the floating element position had the tendency to drift rather than moving appropriately. luckily the fix was easy. it seems the floating element can be optimized to maximize either corner performance or midzone (or in between), the center is always good no matter the FLE location. not sure how zeiss has it set at the factory, i should experiment with how different settings work at different focus distances...

anyway, another stitch, this time at f/8 with some handholding blur:

Jan 05, 2015 at 03:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.116 #11 · p.116 #11 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

couple wide open shots:

Jan 09, 2015 at 12:05 AM
ewadler
• •
p.116 #12 · p.116 #12 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

Got an A7 recently, my adapter just arrived so I can use my favorite lens on it. Here are my first shots, unfortunately I didn't get home till after dark, so these are test shots in my kitchen, all WO & SOOC.

Original Rollei:

DSC01658 by eadler_gt, on Flickr

DSC01646 by eadler_gt, on Flickr

DSC01637 by eadler_gt, on Flickr

Jan 28, 2015 at 07:50 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.116 #13 · p.116 #13 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

^^ congrats!

a few wide open:

Feb 05, 2015 at 04:55 AM
pwnguin
• •
p.116 #14 · p.116 #14 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

Sebboh, how do you get so close to the birds you shoot? It's truly amazing, your bird shots (also the crow with the FL 55/1.2)!

Feb 05, 2015 at 01:32 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.116 #15 · p.116 #15 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

pwnguin wrote:
Sebboh, how do you get so close to the birds you shoot? It's truly amazing, your bird shots (also the crow with the FL 55/1.2)!

i am very sneaky.

most of the 35mm or wider ones are triggered remotely with the camera on a tripod next to a feeder though. most of the 50mm or longer ones are handheld. if you know the birds habits you can go to where they're going to be and wait for them.

Feb 05, 2015 at 06:49 PM
pwnguin
• •
p.116 #16 · p.116 #16 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

Clever. I never thought about remote triggering... How do you insure they are in focus?

Feb 06, 2015 at 01:09 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.116 #17 · p.116 #17 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

pwnguin wrote:
Clever. I never thought about remote triggering... How do you insure they are in focus?

well my phone shows me what the camera sees, so i can see when the bird is in focus. unfortunately the shutter lag can vary throwing my timing off a bit. i end up with a lot of shots like this:

Feb 06, 2015 at 03:21 AM
ltruong8
• •
p.116 #18 · p.116 #18 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

Hi Sebboh, what spell did you use to freeze the bird so that you was able to take that shoot WITH a 35mm wide open . Do you run any magic class ?

Feb 06, 2015 at 09:50 AM
pwnguin
• •
p.116 #19 · p.116 #19 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

sebboh wrote:
well my phone shows me what the camera sees, so i can see when the bird is in focus. unfortunately the shutter lag can vary throwing my timing off a bit.

Thanks for that info Sebboh! Always glad to learn some new tips!
---------------------------------------------

ltruong8 wrote:
Hi Sebboh, what spell did you use to freeze the bird so that you was able to take that shoot WITH a 35mm wide open . Do you run any magic class ?

I think he just mentioned it in the couple previous posts

Feb 06, 2015 at 01:47 PM
Rich M
• •
p.116 #20 · p.116 #20 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

From a while back on the A7r.......wonder what it will be like with the Kolari conversion?

Feb 08, 2015 at 07:46 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password