Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              103      
104
       105              122       123       end
  

Archive 2009 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread
  
 
Manoj
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #1 · p.104 #1 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


I'm posting a photo of the mark on the rear element of the c/y 35 1.4 MMJ.
I'm sure it was caused by the mirror and more so by the newer 5DMkII I have. No problem with the older body.

Most of the time, I use the this lens to take photos of people around the house. So I dont use a tripod. I've taken a few landscapes and I've used the tripod for those. The 3 photos above are all handheld.

Just to ask a question of my own, how many use a CPL with the zeiss glass for the outdoor shots?







Sep 04, 2012 at 05:08 PM
crazeazn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #2 · p.104 #2 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


Manoj wrote:
I'm posting a photo of the mark on the rear element of the c/y 35 1.4 MMJ.
I'm sure it was caused by the mirror and more so by the newer 5DMkII I have. No problem with the older body.

Most of the time, I use the this lens to take photos of people around the house. So I dont use a tripod. I've taken a few landscapes and I've used the tripod for those. The 3 photos above are all handheld.

Just to ask a question of my own, how many use a CPL with the zeiss glass for the outdoor shots?
...Show more

I just looked at my rokkor's brassing position (both my cy35 1.4 and rokkor 58 1.2 have af confirm) and I think the nicks on your rear element do coincide with the position of the mirror not clearing. That being said its very odd as old mount aperture lever is a few mm higher than the apex of the rear element...

I use a zeiss CPL with my zeiss glass depending on the sunshine



Sep 04, 2012 at 05:26 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #3 · p.104 #3 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


more on tri-x, all wide open:









Sep 09, 2012 at 03:22 PM
wfrank
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #4 · p.104 #4 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


Those are really nice sebboh! I obviously need to try Tri-X after the TMax. What's your process here, develop yourself (?) and then scan the negative or a paper copy?


Sep 09, 2012 at 05:09 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #5 · p.104 #5 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


wfrank wrote:
Those are really nice sebboh! I obviously need to try Tri-X after the TMax. What's your process here, develop yourself (?) and then scan the negative or a paper copy?


thanks! these are all just developed at the local lab and scanned at the lowest res they offer (i'm posting them at nearly full res). these are still from my first test roll through the aria.



Sep 09, 2012 at 05:45 PM
wfrank
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #6 · p.104 #6 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


Aha, that is really low-res then. The OOF grain is really film like (no kidding :o) and shines through clearly. A guess is that TMax wont do to get this. Any PP here like vignetting or did you leave the images alone?


Sep 09, 2012 at 08:04 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #7 · p.104 #7 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


wfrank wrote:
Aha, that is really low-res then. The OOF grain is really film like (no kidding :o) and shines through clearly. A guess is that TMax wont do to get this. Any PP here like vignetting or did you leave the images alone?


some of them probably have vignetting added or exposure tweaks.



Sep 09, 2012 at 08:15 PM
wfrank
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #8 · p.104 #8 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


Ah, thanks. You're really improving my learning curve here, appreciate it!


Sep 09, 2012 at 08:46 PM
Makten
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #9 · p.104 #9 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


ZF 35/1.4 @ f/4.8


7198 by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr


I've now had the lens for several weeks and I'm very pleased. Initially I shot mostly wide open and it's dead sharp, whatever some people say. Actually sharper than anything else I've tried at f/1.4, regardless of focal length. The rendering is not at all like the 35/2 (which I miss sometimes). More neutral, subtle and elegant, and if you stop down a bit it acts very much like the 50/1.4 Planar except for a little harsher bokeh at medium distance.

f/2.8...


3D by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr


Focusing is easy closer than ~1.5 meters, but further away it becomes very difficult even with the Katzeye or Canon EG-S (I have both and can't really decide which is worse). But when you nail it, everything is awesome.

f/1.4...


3031 by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr


Have a look at the bokeh. Yes, it's a bit harsh, but interestingly the contrast is lower in the blur than in the sharp field. This means you won't notice the bokeh at all until you look for it.



Sep 12, 2012 at 07:20 PM
Krosavcheg
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #10 · p.104 #10 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


CY 35/1.4 yesterday at f5.6 on 5D MkIII
Shinbashi, Tokyo

Colour:
http://www.3byk.org/imgposts/cy35/IMG_0522.jpg

B/W:
http://www.3byk.org/imgposts/cy35/IMG_0522bw.jpg



Sep 13, 2012 at 06:56 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #11 · p.104 #11 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


f/5.6:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8320/7981818228_af0c1b3e64_o.jpg
wide open:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8322/7981814533_0ea9bf41f0_o.jpg



Sep 13, 2012 at 03:13 PM
alwang
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #12 · p.104 #12 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


Makten wrote:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8302/7980335034_c9a006245e_b.jpg
3031 by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

Have a look at the bokeh. Yes, it's a bit harsh, but interestingly the contrast is lower in the blur than in the sharp field. This means you won't notice the bokeh at all until you look for it.


That lower contrast in the blur is a key part of the Zeiss look, IMO. I see it in my Contax G lenses as well.



Sep 13, 2012 at 05:04 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #13 · p.104 #13 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


alwang wrote:
That lower contrast in the blur is a key part of the Zeiss look, IMO. I see it in my Contax G lenses as well.


hmm, don't really notice it in any of my other zeiss lenses. they all seem to have overly contrasty bokeh.



Sep 13, 2012 at 07:03 PM
buggz2k
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #14 · p.104 #14 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


I think the C/Y 85/1.4 has it.

sebboh wrote:
hmm, don't really notice it in any of my other zeiss lenses. they all seem to have overly contrasty bokeh.

alwang wrote:
That lower contrast in the blur is a key part of the Zeiss look, IMO. I see it in my Contax G lenses as well.


buggz2k wrote:
Contax Yashica Zeiss 85/1.4 @ f1.4, portrait perspective 22 item stitch from MS ICE.
Freaky, the background looks totally fake to me.

http://www.cornbread.com/~buggz/_MG_6658ICEstitch100percent-14697x12112-178.01mp-CS5mergedlayers.jpg


A stitch probably exagerates all aspects?
Have to find some other single frame ones from this lens, when I had it.
Alas, it is another one of my items stolen. *8^(
I may have to repurchase another copy.





Edited on Sep 13, 2012 at 07:13 PM · View previous versions



Sep 13, 2012 at 07:10 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #15 · p.104 #15 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


buggz2k wrote:
I think the C/Y 85/1.4 has it.


yeah, the 85/1.4 seems to have a very similar style to the 35/1.4.

the f/2 and f/2.8s definitely don't to me, and definitely not the g 45.



Sep 13, 2012 at 07:18 PM
wayne seltzer
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.104 #16 · p.104 #16 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


Makten wrote:
I've now had the lens for several weeks and I'm very pleased. Initially I shot mostly wide open and it's dead sharp, whatever some people say. Actually sharper than anything else I've tried at f/1.4, regardless of focal length. The rendering is not at all like the 35/2 (which I miss sometimes). More neutral, subtle and elegant, and if you stop down a bit it acts very much like the 50/1.4 Planar except for a little harsher
Focusing is easy closer than ~1.5 meters, but further away it becomes very difficult even with the Katzeye or Canon EG-S (I have
...Show more


Congrats on getting this great lens!
Yes, the bokeh can be nervous at certain distances but most of time is smooth and it renders OOF areas less strongly/contrasty and more painterly than 35/2 and 50 and 100 MP and is more like 50P and CY 100P and 85P.
I like having both 35/2 and 35/1.4 CY as they complementeach other.
Enjoy!



Sep 13, 2012 at 07:54 PM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #17 · p.104 #17 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


couple more wide open:





and a stitch:





Sep 15, 2012 at 04:42 PM
sculptormic
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.104 #18 · p.104 #18 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


I would say these images can be labeled undre the titel; - Waiting -

Michiel

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/2/waiting5.jpg

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/2/waiting4.jpg

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/2/waiting3.jpg



Sep 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM
crazeazn
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.104 #19 · p.104 #19 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread



IMG_0336 by crazeazn, on Flickr



Sep 18, 2012 at 01:50 PM
Grenache
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.104 #20 · p.104 #20 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread


Krosavacheg, lover the BW street corner.

Sebboh, great detail and depth in the ivy mound forest shot...Mt. Sutro?


Here is an assortment of recent-ish shots.

Jim


Webtastic by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr


The Color Purple by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr


Trouble with Tribbles I by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr


Wheel of Fortune by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr


Beachy by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr


Arches by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr



Sep 28, 2012 at 06:18 PM
1       2       3              103      
104
       105              122       123       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              103      
104
       105              122       123       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password