Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              102      
       104              122       123       end

The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

R.Young
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.103 #1 · p.103 #1 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

Yes they are. I will post more soon

Aug 03, 2012 at 09:10 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.103 #2 · p.103 #2 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

LeadyGonzales wrote:
wow,

in germany one would say: "sehr geil !"

- L.

thanks!

one more:

Aug 04, 2012 at 09:47 PM
ltruong8
• •
p.103 #3 · p.103 #3 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

One from my little Japanese maple to keep the thread in first page

Aug 18, 2012 at 08:14 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.103 #4 · p.103 #4 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

^ fantastic shot!

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:05 AM
R.Young
• • •
p.103 #5 · p.103 #5 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

wow, 2 weeks old! Here are a few more stitches from my MMJ:

Just a word of warning to those shooting a Contax on a 5D2: After fitting a Leitax mount I noticed I still could not focus to infinity so I had to adjust the lens. All seemed fine, no mirror slap (which is important as the rear element is what hits the mirror as it is proud of its retaining ring), until I shot a few fast pans at Silverstone and the mirror hung:

I didn't realise at the time and have now noticed that I have scuffed the coating on the rear element in the centre and near the top. It seems that it is only a very slight mark to the coating, and isn't really a scratch, just a blemish. But I was pretty gutted about finding it, even though it doesn't effect photos. I guess the twisting motion combined with shooting at infinity caused a centrifugal force which made the mirror catch the lens when it otherwise would just clear.

I wasn't planning on selling the lens, and it looks as though I will struggle to get what I paid for it now, its a good job I'm keeping it. I will have to make sure any infinity shots with LiveView and then focus forward before exiting...

Edited on Sep 03, 2012 at 08:24 PM · View previous versions

Sep 03, 2012 at 06:45 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.103 #6 · p.103 #6 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

#1 is what this lens is about really. It's a Ford but the shot makes it look soo good! :-)

Sry to hear the other story. Makes one worry a bit - mine havent hit yet but then I dont think I've done any extensive shooting at infinity (MMJ too BTW).

Since you're talking LV, I must recommend Magic Lantern if you havent checked it out already.

Sep 03, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Manoj
• •
p.103 #7 · p.103 #7 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

Some really amazing shots there.
Sebboh: that stitch on the previous page is outstanding.
R.Young: those auto shots are amazing. That vertical stitch on the previous page gives an amazing perspective.
Itruong8: lovely shot of the japanese maple.

Few shots I took with the C/Y MMJ version.

Tube o' mud by Manoj Prabhu, on Flickr

Fluffy by Manoj Prabhu, on Flickr

Untitled by Manoj Prabhu, on Flickr

R.Young wrote:
I didn't realise at the time and have now noticed that I have scuffed the coating on the rear element in the centre and near the top. It seems that it is only a very slight mark to the coating, and isn't really a scratch, just a blemish. But I was pretty gutted about finding it, even though it doesn't effect photos. I guess the twisting motion combined with shooting at infinity caused a centrifugal force which made the mirror catch the lens when it otherwise would just clear.

I wasn't planning on selling the lens, and it looks as though
...Show more

That's the exact same thing that's happened to me. The mark is not big at all, just a tiny rub mark. And I didn't try panning at all. Simple handheld shot. Took me a while to figure out the real cause of the rub mark as I'm paranoid about getting the rear cap on as soon as I remove the lens.

Funny thing is, it didn't happen on an older 5DMkII I had. I remember that distinctly. And I've taken more infinity shots with the older 5DMkII. I got a new one and saw this mark. So the two bodies definitely differ in specs. The lens is Leitaxed. I just placed a little piece of foil between the lens and the leitax adapter. I know the effects of this, but I dont shoot at infinity too much. But its a bad feeling.

Sep 03, 2012 at 07:41 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.103 #8 · p.103 #8 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

I'm not shunning Leitax at all, but I'm considering shaving the mirror on my 5D2 now...

Sep 03, 2012 at 08:23 PM
crazeazn
• • •
p.103 #9 · p.103 #9 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

I have a question based on the other thread, how many of these photos are being taken on a tripod?

Sep 03, 2012 at 08:35 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.103 #10 · p.103 #10 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

none of mine!

Sep 03, 2012 at 08:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.103 #11 · p.103 #11 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

R.Young wrote:
I didn't realise at the time and have now noticed that I have scuffed the coating on the rear element in the centre and near the top. It seems that it is only a very slight mark to the coating, and isn't really a scratch, just a blemish. But I was pretty gutted about finding it, even though it doesn't effect photos.

hmm, i wonder if that is what happened to my lens? i got it reasonably cheaply because it has two rather large coating marks on the rear element.

crazeazn wrote:
I have a question based on the other thread, how many of these photos are being taken on a tripod?

what is this tripod of which you speak?

here it is on film:

Sep 03, 2012 at 08:58 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.103 #12 · p.103 #12 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

Do your coating marks show up in photos of any kind? The shot of the sun through the trees doesn't seem to show any signs?

Great last shot by the way!!

Sep 03, 2012 at 10:28 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.103 #13 · p.103 #13 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

R.Young wrote:
Do your coating marks show up in photos of any kind? The shot of the sun through the trees doesn't seem to show any signs?

Great last shot by the way!!

sometimes they are visible in blur discs and they probably contribute to flare a bit, but nothing you really notice unless you look for it.

Sep 03, 2012 at 10:39 PM
crazeazn
• • •
p.103 #14 · p.103 #14 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

odd my c/y leitax has no issue clearing the mirror...now my filed down rokkor on the other hand.

Sep 03, 2012 at 10:48 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.103 #15 · p.103 #15 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

Is the mirror the most likely cause of these marks? If it dont hang shouldt there be another more probable explanation?

Sep 04, 2012 at 06:00 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.103 #16 · p.103 #16 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

wfrank wrote:
Is the mirror the most likely cause of these marks? If it dont hang shouldt there be another more probable explanation?

the previous owner shot a 5DII, no idea about the owner before that. obviously since i only shoot it on film and the NEX i don't have any mirror collisions.

Sep 04, 2012 at 06:04 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.103 #17 · p.103 #17 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

So three copies with marks at the same spot: perfectly centered (below the mid line in the DOF scale) and a bit up? If so I should be convinced I guess.. need to re-evaluate infinity usage on mine then :S

Love #1 by the way, as typical for the lens as the Ford but analog!

Sep 04, 2012 at 06:55 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.103 #18 · p.103 #18 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

wfrank wrote:
So three copies with marks at the same spot: perfectly centered (below the mid line in the DOF scale) and a bit up? If so I should be convinced I guess.. need to re-evaluate infinity usage on mine then :S

Love #1 by the way, as typical for the lens as the Ford but analog!

thanks. the marks on my lens aren't exactly centered but start near the center of the rear element and radiated upward towards the top. there's lots of possible explanations for them, i was just hypothesizing.

one more but on the NEX-7:

Sep 04, 2012 at 07:07 AM
R.Young
• • •
p.103 #19 · p.103 #19 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

Another stitch. Its actually making me think of selling my 24 1.4L II as I can get an equivalent of about 24 f1.0 with by stitching...

Lancia Stratos - Silverstone Classic by Rob.Young, on Flickr

Edited on Jan 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM · View previous versions

Sep 04, 2012 at 07:47 AM
Anden
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.103 #20 · p.103 #20 · The official Zeiss 35/1.4 thread

ltruong8 wrote:

One from my little Japanese maple to keep the thread in first page

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8281/7733705818_d1a3614978_b.jpg

Wow!

Sep 04, 2012 at 08:53 AM