New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · AF Tracking: 7D vs 1Dmk2

Me_XMan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AF Tracking: 7D vs 1Dmk2

Would like to hear your experience in AF tracking between 7D and 1Dmk2.
I'm still shooting with 1Dmk2 and happy with it in general. Except one thing, shooting at ISO 3200 in HS dark gym. Well that's different than what I'm asking.
I know 7D can put out 8 fps which is comparable with 1Dmk2.
Is the 7D AF tracking faster or the same or slower than 1Dmk2. TIA.

Nov 19, 2009 at 05:33 AM
mark fadely
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AF Tracking: 7D vs 1Dmk2

I think they are very comparable in tracking while shooting ai-servo. The 7D gets the job done. Not sure if you'll get 8fps in a dark gym though. That's one nit about the 7D. Frame rate slows in dark enviroments.

Nov 19, 2009 at 09:28 AM
cennerfelt
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AF Tracking: 7D vs 1Dmk2

Using the same lens, 70-200 2.8 IS, my MK2n focuses faster than the 7D in the "dark" gym. Using AI Servo I missed shots with the 7D I fell pretty sure I would have had with the 7D (simply would not lock focus). Not sure if my settings with the 7D was "right" but still my impression.

Nov 19, 2009 at 09:36 AM
Bmeister
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AF Tracking: 7D vs 1Dmk2

Sounds like the caves I shoot in. I can more accurately answer this once prep gymnastics begins in a few weeks, but from what I've seen so far it is near equal especially with multi-point; closer than the 40D which I felt was also quite good but only with center point. The 1DmkII acquires quicker in all light but for tracking it remains to be seen for truly critical work (i.e. gymnasts flipping in mid air at full speed in cave lighting).

Nov 19, 2009 at 10:04 AM
Tom_W
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AF Tracking: 7D vs 1Dmk2

In terms of AF speed and tracking, my 7D reminds me a lot of my 1D II, but it's been 4 years since I've owned the 1D2 so I don't have any direct A/B comparison. But from the perspective of a 5D and 5D2 shooter, it is very good in that respect.

One thing to ask about - the 7D reported switches to a slower frame-per-second rate when used in very dark situations so it may not be able to give you the 8 fps you want in a very dark gym. That's something to ask others about. I haven't used mine in such a situation yet.

Nov 19, 2009 at 01:02 PM
Jack M
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AF Tracking: 7D vs 1Dmk2

I have not tried any low light shots yet but in good light I don't see much difference.

Nov 19, 2009 at 01:05 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AF Tracking: 7D vs 1Dmk2

find a working (well) 1d3 from a 1D4 early adopter.? when all said and down the M3 is capable of some stunning images

Nov 19, 2009 at 01:31 PM
Bmeister
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · AF Tracking: 7D vs 1Dmk2

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
find a working (well) 1d3 from a 1D4 early adopter.? when all said and down the M3 is capable of some stunning images

Wish I could share your optimism; I went through four new (4) 1DmkIII bodies over 18mo that frustrated me to no end...enough was enough for me. So glad (lucky) that I hung onto a couple mkII bodies I was originally planning on selling. I'd rather buy a used mkII than chance a used mkIII.

Nov 19, 2009 at 11:51 PM
Grant808
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · AF Tracking: 7D vs 1Dmk2

I never put the two side to side because I traded my 1D2 for the 7D.

But my feeling is that the 7D is close and *may* be better. And that makes a bit of sense if you consider that every cross sensor is really two sensors...

I think I need to do a little more birding to really get a sense of it.

In low light, I think the 7D is better. I'll have to test it against my 5D side by side. The 5D was better in low light than the 1D2...and I did test those two side by side.

Nov 20, 2009 at 01:21 PM
Gil_W
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · AF Tracking: 7D vs 1Dmk2

I feel it's prety close in good light, but in low light I give the edge to my mkIIn.

Nov 20, 2009 at 06:11 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · AF Tracking: 7D vs 1Dmk2

mark fadely wrote:
I think they are very comparable in tracking while shooting ai-servo. The 7D gets the job done. Not sure if you'll get 8fps in a dark gym though. That's one nit about the 7D. Frame rate slows in dark enviroments.

I'm sure they will decouple the meeter before shooting lock in manual mode in a firmware revision.

Nov 20, 2009 at 06:23 PM
Me_XMan
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · AF Tracking: 7D vs 1Dmk2

Thanks for all input friends. It seems 7D is very close to 1Dmk2 but with much better sensor for what I'm doing. Well it's 1.6x cropped so it's something I have to get used with.

Dec 06, 2009 at 06:20 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · AF Tracking: 7D vs 1Dmk2

Based on only the 100-400L, I would say the 7D is comparable to my 1D II and is much better than my 40D. My success rate with the 100-400L has been much higher in AI servo on the 7D. I want to compare the 1D II and 7D using a 300 f/2.8L IS or 135L next in good and low light.

Dec 06, 2009 at 09:39 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.