Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2009 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Jos Tesseract
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

US Airways may be full of fail, but that post is full of win.

Look on the bright side. The equipment may be ruined, but with writing like that, you can probably make a jump into comedy writing. :P

Nov 02, 2009 at 08:05 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

John--G wrote:
From Wiki: A hermetic seal is a seal which, for practical purposes, is considered airtight. The term is often used to describe electronic parts that are designed and intended to secure against the entry of microorganisms and other foreign bodies in order to maintain the proper functioning and reliability of their contents.

Thanks John. I didn't even have to look that up to have my own thoughts about someone who believes Canon L glass is "hermetically sealed." And I'll keep those thoughts to myself, thank you.

Nov 02, 2009 at 08:40 PM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.2 #3 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Is not just U.S. Airway, it's almost every airlines want to cut cost. They hire cheap non English speaking CS, and only pay $8/hr for baggage handlers so the CEO can get millions in bonuses. If you were flying back in the 70s and early 80s your gear would treated like eggs, and if you have problem the manager will be there to take care of it personally.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with U.S.Airway, I had similar experience with Southwest and TSA guys.

Nov 02, 2009 at 09:15 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Any airline that lets a 300 lbs man sit next to you in the plane without charging them extra and yet quibble over a few extra cm and/or kg on a carry-on baggage is fail IMO... which probably makes it every damn airlines.

Nov 02, 2009 at 11:14 PM
pingflood
• • •
p.2 #5 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Ah yes, US Airways. Bought my parents a ticket to come visit us (from Sweden to USA). They ended up in Frankfurt with a "delayed" plane that never left, a DAY later they took of in a "replacement" plane that ended up turning back with mechanical difficulties two hours into the flight, and finally made it to us four DAYS after scheduled arrival. Called US Airways a dozen times or more and every time we got a different story/explanation. My parents are in their 60s and were scheduled for a two week vacation so you can imagine how fun it was calling US Airways to find out "we'll try to get a hotel somewhere, but it might be 2-3 days until we can get another plane"....

From Frankfurt.

Needless to say, no more US Airways for us. We caught them flat out lying to us multiple times. And when the plane turned around the entire cabin stunk of jet fuel -- my dad (who's a pretty experienced mechanic) asked the flight attendant about it and was told "oh no, that's not it, it's just hydraulic fluid -- smells just the same!"

Nov 03, 2009 at 12:39 AM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.2 #6 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

n0b0 wrote:
Any airline that lets a 300 lbs man sit next to you in the plane without charging them extra and yet quibble over a few extra cm and/or kg on a carry-on baggage is fail IMO... which probably makes it every damn airlines.

You can't offen fat people because they can hire lawyers.

Nov 03, 2009 at 02:41 AM
craigbess
• •
p.2 #7 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Good old "Useless Air"
I'm stuck flying them most the time since there hub is here in Charlotte. They have destroyed almost every bag I've owned. They lost one, it showed up to weeks later soaking wet and all my stuff inside was ruined. Thank God it was only clothes, paperwork and books. I've never got any compensation for the damages over the years.. They Suck..

Sam, I hope they make it right with you..

Nov 03, 2009 at 03:11 AM
voltaire
• • •
p.2 #8 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Sorry to hear about your story. I hope they (either US Airways or your insurance) would make it right for you. I'm from SF too so here's my two cents:

Have you tried contacting media outlets like KGO? There's a consumer guy there who might be able to help you. SF Chronicle also has these articles on their Sunday Travel section about travel problems. I know its a long shot but it might be worth a try.

The upside if you get KGO to help you there might be some free exposure.

Good luck, Sam.
Voltaire

Nov 03, 2009 at 03:27 AM
Bobster2
• • • •
p.2 #9 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Every airline has a contract of carriage that you MUST read. US Airways will only accept fragile equipment if it is packed in proper shipping containers. In other words, it should be packed as if you were sending it by UPS. Otherwise, they are not responsible.

When I had a similar situation, I told the gate agent that I wanted to be booked on a later flight that would take my bag in the overhead, and I had to wait a few hours.

Nov 03, 2009 at 05:14 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #10 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Its called Deregulation. Many of you will recall when there was little or no competition among airlines, prices were fixed by the Government to guarantee a profit. Fares were very high, but service was excellent.

Now people look for the lowest fares, and the use of computers helps them find them. In a way, we are part of the blame, since we force airlines to cut fares which results in poor service.

About the only US airline I willingly fly is Southwest. They are a budget airline, but I've never had any problems. For International Travel, I like British Airways, at least Business Class is good.

Nov 04, 2009 at 04:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mike V
• • •
p.2 #11 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

If you travel a lot, invest in film and TV industry style rigidised aluminium cases with custom cut high density foam like this:

Even Pelican cases if you get decent custom foam cut-outs will work:

Even the airlines will tell you your gear is not packed properly in soft bags.

Nov 04, 2009 at 11:49 AM
monochrome
• • • •
p.2 #12 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

If you're checking your bags that is what you need. But most will carry-on their photo equipment. So their normal bag should work.

Nov 04, 2009 at 03:13 PM
mike reid
• • • •
p.2 #13 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

do what the woman did with BoA and her credit card being jacked up to 30% interest...make a video bashing US Air and put it on youtube. It got so much exposure BoA came back and changed her rate back

US Air is typical of the old school east coast airlines....dont care, dont have to, and their passengers have learned to take it.

Nov 04, 2009 at 03:22 PM
Steve Ickes
• • •
p.2 #14 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Sam,
If you ever decided to give up photography I'm sure you have a future in writing satirical comedy. You had me in your shoes one minute, laughing my a** off the next. Not that the situation is the least bit amusing. I feel your pain and frustration and probably would've jumped over the counter and dropped a sleeper-hold on someone after that fiasco.

I think you story illustrates the general state of customer service these days which is "The customer is always wrong and insignificant." I do think though that the airline industry in general has been putting a gun to our heads for years knowing that people will always fly no matter how much they surcharge, how many times you are left delayed, or how bad the flights are. Its criminal, its heinous, and it pisses me off every time I have to book a flight. I've gotten so pissed off at the airline industry that I will readily and willingly drive to any destination within 30 hours of where I live.

"You will die alone"

Nov 04, 2009 at 03:36 PM
Steve Ickes
• • •
p.2 #15 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Another suggestion: send your story to The Consumerist (http://consumerist.com/) . That site gets a ton of hits and exposure. May not bring you any resolution with the airline but you can at least spread the word.

Nov 04, 2009 at 03:43 PM
Erik Schlange

p.2 #16 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

Says reader Steve pointed Consumerist to this thread - good idea.

http://consumerist.com/5396963/photographer-says-us-airways-soaked-17850-worth-of-camera-equipment

Nov 04, 2009 at 06:27 PM
fln538
• •
p.2 #17 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

carlsbadbum wrote:
Is not just U.S. Airway, it's almost every airlines want to cut cost. They hire cheap non English speaking CS, and only pay $8/hr for baggage handlers so the CEO can get millions in bonuses. If you were flying back in the 70s and early 80s your gear would treated like eggs, and if you have problem the manager will be there to take care of it personally.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with U.S.Airway, I had similar experience with Southwest and TSA guys.

Wow according to you, people that don't speak English don't know how to handle things?
What a revelation! English Speaking people rule the world!!!

Nov 04, 2009 at 07:03 PM
kaybeejay
• •
p.2 #18 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

One of the comments from comsumerist had a good point. If you had made thru all the checkpoints and brought the bag as a carry-on, you would have had NO WATER BOTTLE to leak onto your gear.

Nov 04, 2009 at 07:06 PM
kaybeejay
• •
p.2 #19 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

fln538 wrote:
Wow according to you, people that don't speak English don't know how to handle things?
What a revelation! English Speaking people rule the world!!!

If you A) live/work in the USA - you should speak english. B) if you are head of customer service in the USA, you should not only speak english, but speak it very well.

Why is that such a difficult concept to adopt?

Nov 04, 2009 at 07:08 PM
ci5ic
• •
p.2 #20 · U.S. Airways is FAIL

kaybeejay wrote:
One of the comments from comsumerist had a good point. If you had made thru all the checkpoints and brought the bag as a carry-on, you would have had NO WATER BOTTLE to leak onto your gear.

Most airports, you can buy water bottles and other liquids after the security checkpoint...

Sadly, "doing the right thing" is all but dead when it comes to large corporations... Not everyone can write a song, post the video on youtube, and go viral with their complaint... these corporations know it, and they use it to their advantage. Shame on them!

Nov 04, 2009 at 07:20 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password