Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2009 · Broken Leicaflex SL - worth repairing ?

tmark
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Broken Leicaflex SL - worth repairing ?

Long story, but a few months ago I bought a Leicaflex SL that I never even really checked or tested, although I did at some point notice that the coupling between the shutter speed dial and the in-viewfinder indicator seemed not to work. Today I picked it up, and accidentally dropped it. No idea if this is at all related to the following.

I subsequently looked at it more carefully than I ever had. It is in very nice condition, but the shutter speeds are wonky - as mentioned, the couplings between the dial and the in-view indicator is not working. The shutter speeds all sound to be about the same. While rotating through the lower speeds, there is a little resistance which feels wrong (for lack of a better word and from complete ignorance); I feel no real resistance through the upper speeds and two of the detents seem to not "catch".

Is it likely that this is worth repairing ? I see that used SLs go for as little as $200, and it's hard for me to imagine that even a minor Leica repair could be much less than that.

It seems like a shame to toss an otherwise nice body like this, or to have to sell it for parts. Google books has a chapter on SL repair, but I'd probably end up destroying the camera.

Oct 26, 2009 at 08:59 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Broken Leicaflex SL - worth repairing ?

The viewfinder shutter speed indicator probably has little to do with the problem.

Which detents don't catch? Without removing the top cover it's hard to say what the problem is, but there are cams on the shutter speed dial shaft that are read by feelers that translate the cam height into shutter gear timing. The mechanism shifts between the high-speed range and middle-speed range between 1/60 sec and 1/30 sec, and from the middle- to slow-speed range (actually on the same slow-speed timing escapement) between 1/4 and 1/8 sec. Have you tried firing the shutter? If all is well you should be able to hear the difference between the slowest speeds. One problem that comes up with age is the shutter curtain tension could be off, resulting in 1/4 sec being faster than 1/8 sec.

The entire mechanism is nearly bullet-proof, and if my experience is any guide, dropping the camera is unlikely to cause any problems.

If the shutter isn't working you might try calling Kindermann Canada, they have an excellent reputation for Leica service at reasonable cost.

Oct 26, 2009 at 09:24 PM
tmark
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Broken Leicaflex SL - worth repairing ?

telyt - thanks for your reply.

The detents that do not catch are 1/125 and 1/250. You can slide the dial around between those speeds with less than the regular amount of pressure.

When the shutter is fired, there is no obvious difference between shutter speeds. They all sound approximately the same to my untrained ear, from 1/1s to 1/2000s.

The information about 3 shutter speed ranges makes sense. If I hold the dial to my ear, the feel of the resistance - and the sound - is different from about 1/1 to 1/8 or 1/15, compared to 1/15-1/1/60, and 1/125 and faster. It doesn't feel like the faster range of speeds presents any meaningful resistance at all, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Oct 26, 2009 at 09:45 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Broken Leicaflex SL - worth repairing ?

I've fixed more of these than I can count, but this problem is a new one to me. Mind if I try it?

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:01 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Broken Leicaflex SL - worth repairing ?

tmark, telyt is Doug Herr, as well known and respected birder, and a decade-long fan of the SL, so the offer is quite a nice one, if you are interested. I believe he is based in California. Here is his website: http://www.wildlightphoto.com/

Oct 27, 2009 at 04:15 AM
tmark
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Broken Leicaflex SL - worth repairing ?

telyt wrote:
I've fixed more of these than I can count, but this problem is a new one to me. Mind if I try it?

Not at all ! PM sent.

Oct 27, 2009 at 08:27 AM
johnrecord

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Broken Leicaflex SL - worth repairing ?

how did this turn out? experiencing the same exact issue.

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:36 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.