WA Rules · Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2009 · #368 My Magic Chair

Strad
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · #368 My Magic Chair

Thanks so much, Roy! I appreciate your kind comment.

all the best,

Endre

rbuiteman wrote:
Very nice photo and beautiful PS work!

Roy

Oct 28, 2009 at 03:19 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · #368 My Magic Chair

I really like the idea but much less the execution. What bugs me is not the PS per se but the fact that there are two distinct backgrounds that - at least IMHO - do not mix well together.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Oct 28, 2009 at 04:32 AM
Benedictine
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · #368 My Magic Chair

Hi Yakim,

I have to disagree with you on this Yakim as, for me, the two backgrounds are a very crucial part of this image! I see the significance of this in that what we are seeing is the liminal moment between two worlds—the "real" our-world on the right and the "imaginary" world on the left. What Endre has managed to do is to combine these two worlds and in doing so has shown that moment in time when our consciousness is in two worlds at the same time, when we are still in the world of matter yet also in the world of the other existence which is, (in this case as per the title) that of the magical. It is all about liminality, or rather the dwelling in that incredible liminal state of being where we mere humans with all our human restrictions become something other than "mere humans" and are truly creatures of another, (some would say mystical) ethereal world.

Endre's genius here, (and it IS genus IMHO) is that he has found a way to illustrate this mystical experience and I salute him for it.

Regards,

Andrew-Bede

Oct 28, 2009 at 04:56 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · #368 My Magic Chair

I would agree if the chair was one which is commonly used in the garden. Then the right part would fit in nicely as a representative of the real world. However, this chair is so homely in its shape that I'd rather see a home interior as this representative. JMHO of course.

But I do agree about the end. Endre is indeed a true genius (I call him 'The maestro of light') and the numerous WA he won is a testimonial of that.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Oct 28, 2009 at 05:14 AM
ejos
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · #368 My Magic Chair

Even with the huge diversity of scene, the composite flows and really works for me.

Oct 28, 2009 at 05:48 AM
jess8026

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · #368 My Magic Chair

Endre, I love the transition between realism and surrealism and the way
Eva's book has transported her just to "the other side".
I used to have issues with extensive PSing, but after studying Ansel Adams
and reading about his techniques, I reached the same conclusion you did, and now
can enjoy the creativity involved---a prime example being this lovely image.
Janice

Oct 28, 2009 at 06:52 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · #368 My Magic Chair

Strad wrote:
... Not thinking much about it. I just grabbed the top one in the pile for this photo. In retrospect, I ought to have gotten out an old leather bound copy of Dickens.

Or perhaps a Nancy Drew mystery.

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:55 PM
ramorak
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · #368 My Magic Chair

Love this.

Oct 28, 2009 at 02:16 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · #368 My Magic Chair

Thanks for both your comment postings, Yakim, my friend! I think being called a "genius" by you and Andrew-Bede is a bit over the top, but certainly very sweet of you both.

As to the way I put this together, I would agree with your point about the chair and its locale if i were trying to convey that Eva is sitting somewhere real and then going off into a world of imagination. BUT, this work has three parts. The first is the tangible, real world, which is solely represented by Eva and the chair. The second is her imagination of a real world - represented by the water garden on the right. If I were trying to represent reality there, I certainly wouldn't have placed the feet of the chair in the middle of the lake. From that imaginary world, I then take her to the left side of the photo which is a far more idealized and fantastic representation of an imaginary world, with birds that fly into super-saturated sunsets while trailing stars in their wake. Just as in a story book, where the scene may shift from chapter to chapter, here I wanted to represent her imagination taking flight into realms that are not necessarily earthbound. Perhaps, I wasn't entirely successful but I'm glad you generally like the resulting shot.

Warm regards,

Endre

Yakim Peled wrote:
I would agree if the chair was one which is commonly used in the garden. Then the right part would fit in nicely as a representative of the real world. However, this chair is so homely in its shape that I'd rather see a home interior as this representative. JMHO of course.

But I do agree about the end. Endre is indeed a true genius (I call him 'The maestro of light') and the numerous WA he won is a testimonial of that.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Oct 28, 2009 at 02:41 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · #368 My Magic Chair

Thanks, Andrew-Bede for this very interesting and insightful comment in defense of my photo. As I wrote to Yakim, I think it is quite over the top to use the word "genius" to describe my work but I certainly am pleased yet humbled to have you do that.

I won't reiterate my explanation of this that I posted a few moments ago to Yakim. My thinking in creating this was very similar to what you took from it with the possible exception that the water garden on the right - while representative of the "real" world - is also imaginary (or at least not tangible in the physical sense. We get into mysticism here - a topic better left to other discussion forums. ). Consequently, there are three "worlds" illustrated here.

L & P,

Endre

Benedictine wrote:
Hi Yakim,

I have to disagree with you on this Yakim as, for me, the two backgrounds are a very crucial part of this image! I see the significance of this in that what we are seeing is the liminal moment between two worlds—the "real" our-world on the right and the "imaginary" world on the left. What Endre has managed to do is to combine these two worlds and in doing so has shown that moment in time when our consciousness is in two worlds at the same time, when we are still in the world of matter yet also in
...Show more

Oct 28, 2009 at 02:51 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · #368 My Magic Chair

Thanks so much! I'm glad you like it and that it works for you.

All the best,

Endre

ejos wrote:
Even with the huge diversity of scene, the composite flows and really works for me.

Oct 28, 2009 at 02:52 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · #368 My Magic Chair

Thank you, Janice. I really appreciate your very kind words and that you like it so much!

Warm regards,

Endre

jess8026 wrote:
Endre, I love the transition between realism and surrealism and the way
Eva's book has transported her just to "the other side".
I used to have issues with extensive PSing, but after studying Ansel Adams
and reading about his techniques, I reached the same conclusion you did, and now
can enjoy the creativity involved---a prime example being this lovely image.
Janice

Oct 28, 2009 at 02:54 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · #368 My Magic Chair

Ah yes! Nancy Drew! Why didn't I think of that??

All best wishes,

Endre

AuntiPode wrote:
Or perhaps a Nancy Drew mystery.

Oct 28, 2009 at 02:55 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · #368 My Magic Chair

Thank you very much! I'm so glad you like it!

All the best,

Endre

ramorak wrote:
Love this.

Oct 28, 2009 at 02:56 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · #368 My Magic Chair

Got it now. I usually understand very quickly when things are explained in length.....

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Strad wrote:
Thanks for both your comment postings, Yakim, my friend! I think being called a "genius" by you and Andrew-Bede is a bit over the top, but certainly very sweet of you both.

As to the way I put this together, I would agree with your point about the chair and its locale if i were trying to convey that Eva is sitting somewhere real and then going off into a world of imagination. BUT, this work has three parts. The first is the tangible, real world, which is solely represented by Eva and the chair. The
...Show more

Oct 29, 2009 at 04:00 AM
Fishit
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · #368 My Magic Chair

Strad wrote:
Reading books in her special chair will always transport Eva wherever her imagination can take her.

(I know, I know! some will complain that there is too much PS work. So be it. I couldn't figure another way to convey the point I was after. )

I like it, seems dream like, excellent composition sir.

Oct 29, 2009 at 04:41 AM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · #368 My Magic Chair

Thanks, Fishit! It's always nice to hear from you and I'm so gald you like this.

All best wishes,

Endre

Fishit wrote:
I like it, seems dream like, excellent composition sir.

Oct 30, 2009 at 01:10 AM
well69
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · #368 My Magic Chair

dittos - this is amazing. please keep up the submissions.

Nov 01, 2009 at 02:29 PM
Strad
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · #368 My Magic Chair

Thank you! I appreciate you taking time to comment!

All the best,

Endre

well69 wrote:
dittos - this is amazing. please keep up the submissions.

Nov 02, 2009 at 02:07 AM
       end

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.