Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2009 · 7D - hard reset

rd4tile
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 7D - hard reset

Check page 235 of the manual.

Oct 23, 2009 at 02:24 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 7D - hard reset

Just to make sure here, the hard reset does not bring the camera back to the factory setting then? If that's the case, the must be another battery somewhere that retains the setting somehow then?

Oct 23, 2009 at 02:33 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 7D - hard reset

I was surprised the cam didn't revert to the factory defaults after pulling mine so I would suspect there is some other built in battery or method that stores the settings.

That was one of the reasons I felt the procedure actually did help as all of my custom function settings remained identical before and after the process and yet I saw an immediate improvement.

Oct 23, 2009 at 02:41 PM
tonno1970
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 7D - hard reset

rd4tile wrote:
[ I don't see how this is detrimental to the camera in any way.

simply is not. I am absolutely happy with my new 7D and AF performance but with my 400 5.6L I had some ot of focus shots quite easy to follow.
So I think it is a "7D-my 400 copy" that need a microadj. I did it and for static shots it works but did not have the time to test with birds or other moving objects.

with 24-105, 100-400 and 200/2.8 (even with 1,4x) is spot on.

SO, if this hard reset does not make bad to the camera, why not to try and see what happens to my 7D-400 combo?

Oct 23, 2009 at 02:44 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 7D - hard reset

tonno1970 wrote:
I am absolutely happy with my new 7D and AF performance but with my 400 5.6L I had some ot of focus shots quite easy to follow.
So I think it is a "7D-my 400 copy" that need a microadj. I did it and for static shots it works but did not have the time to test with birds or other moving objects.

with 24-105, 100-400 and 200/2.8 (even with 1,4x) is spot on.

SO, if this hard reset does not make bad to the camera, why not to try and see what happens to my 7D-400 combo?

Giampaolo,
The 400mm is a long lens, especially on a crop camera like the 7D. If you get sharp images on static objects with it then I hate to tell you that it would not have anything to do with the AF adjustment of your camera with that lens.

Edited on Oct 23, 2009 at 03:15 PM · View previous versions

Oct 23, 2009 at 02:59 PM
OCphotography
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 7D - hard reset

Im getting my 7D back on tuesday, from Canon. Im very curious to hear what has been done, since my 7D was also way of in focus and sharpness. If its not as sharp as D700 when i get it back, im leaving Canon for good. So tired of "back-focus" etc problems when they release new cameras. As for now, ill give them the benefit of the doubt until tuesday.

Oct 23, 2009 at 03:03 PM
tonno1970
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 7D - hard reset

AGeoJO wrote:
Giampaolo,
The 400mm is a long lens, especially on a crop camera like the 7D. If you get sharp images on static objects with it then I hate to tell you that it would not have anything to do with the AF adjustment of your camera with that lens.

Infact it works with static shots now, also using AIservo.

I have yet to try with moving objects like this:

this was taken at 400mm with 7D and 100-400 at 320ISO and saved as 10 (not 12) quality jpeg due to web size limit to post in another forum.

Oct 23, 2009 at 04:07 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 7D - hard reset

tonno1970 wrote:
Infact it works with static shots now, also using AIservo.

I have yet to try with moving objects like this:

this was taken at 400mm with 7D and 100-400 at 320ISO and saved as 10 (not 12) quality jpeg due to web size limit to post in another forum.

Well, then by all means, it has to do exclusively with your long lens technique and nothing to do with the micro-focus adjustment of that lens with your 7D. Keep in mind that the 100-400mm that you used for that jet fighter has "IS", which helps in minimizing (not eliminating) camera/lens combo movement. This feature is missing in the prime 400mm f/5.6 .

Oct 23, 2009 at 04:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tonno1970
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 7D - hard reset

thanks again but I think I have quite a nice long lens technique.

this with 400 5.6L+1,4x

I was only asking how to do just in case, I'm not saying and crying that my 7D is not working, just that I encountered some OOF pics using it when using with 400/5.6L.
To my eyes 7D Af is on par with my previous mk2N at least.

Oct 23, 2009 at 05:03 PM
SteveS
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 7D - hard reset

A hard reset does nothing but put all the user settings back to default. This does nothing to autofocus. This is just another DPR sugar pill. This was all dreamed up when the 10D came out. 10D had a lot of QC problems. But yes it cant hurt.

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:03 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 7D - hard reset

You may very well be right but have you got some basis to back it up, like an intimate knowledge of the cam's electronics?

BTW pulling the clock battery doesn't change the user settings back to default, so is it even remotely possible this body might be different then the 10D?

Oct 24, 2009 at 03:52 AM
WesN
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 7D - hard reset

Add me to the skeptic's list.

Wes N.

Oct 24, 2009 at 04:40 AM
jka

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 7D - hard reset

I had similar autofocus problems with my 7D when I got it a couple of weeks ago. Focus was randomly all over the map - sometimes spot on, sometimes back or front focused. My 40D and 50D never gave me any problems at all and doing direct comparisons between those two (which I still happen to own) and the 7D showed the strange behaviour of the latter very clearly. Heck, even my now retired XTi was flawless compared to it. After hard resetting the 7D was like getting a new camera, so clear was the change. Since then I've checked and double checked all my shots trying to find hints of the erratic bahaviour without any success. I'm 100% convinced the hard reset really made a huge difference.

Oct 28, 2009 at 08:42 AM
kkroeker
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 7D - hard reset

I tried the hard reset and it did absolutely nothing for the camera. Is there a special technique other than removing the clock battery and main battery pack?

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM
rd4tile
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 7D - hard reset

kkroeker wrote:
I tried the hard reset and it did absolutely nothing for the camera. Is there a special technique other than removing the clock battery and main battery pack?

Were you having issues to begin with?

I've had a number of people PM me regarding their experiences (all positive). The most common denominator seems to be the 400 f5.6L in AIServo.

At this point while I still don't feel the tracking AF is quite as accurate as my 1D3 was it's very good given it's cost.

Oct 28, 2009 at 01:12 PM
gotak
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 7D - hard reset

rd4tile wrote:
I was surprised the cam didn't revert to the factory defaults after pulling mine so I would suspect there is some other built in battery or method that stores the settings.

That was one of the reasons I felt the procedure actually did help as all of my custom function settings remained identical before and after the process and yet I saw an immediate improvement.

There's something call nonvolatile memory. Most likely either the Digic 4 has it's own eeprom built in or there's a eeprom chip sitting somewhere on the PCB that the software writes it's settings to. Either way that's how I'd have designed such a system

Oct 28, 2009 at 01:34 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password