Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · 8x12 to 8x10 w/o cropping HELP!

BryanB
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 8x12 to 8x10 w/o cropping HELP!

I have over 100 shots that I took with my 1Ds (3:2 aspect ratio) that make some wonderful 8x12 prints. Now I am in need to convert them into 8x10s.. I do not want to crop the images as it would destroy the composition of many of them...

I want to be able to basically add borders and reduce the image so it fits in a 8x10 frame. I know I can do it manually but it would take forever with 100+ images.. Is there plug in out there than can do this?

Thanks

Bryan

Mar 22, 2004 at 08:21 AM
DCRobinson
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 8x12 to 8x10 w/o cropping HELP!

Hi. There are many outlets with precut mats for 6X9 openings for 8x10 frames. To maintain your composition this is the least expensive and labor intensive route.

Dave

Mar 22, 2004 at 01:10 PM
dmward
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 8x12 to 8x10 w/o cropping HELP!

Bryan,
I have not done this but I understand one can build an action to do the reduction and make it into a "droplet" this permits you to essentially "drop" the 100 or so images onto the droplet and it will open PostScript and process them.

Another option is the use a printing utility similar to Qimage that will resize and print the image the size that you need.

David

Mar 22, 2004 at 05:36 PM
BryanB
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 8x12 to 8x10 w/o cropping HELP!

Thanks

Dave.. I am not printing the files.. I am giving them to the client for them to print themselves so the mat solution doesn't apply.

David.. this may work.. as soon as I figure out how to do it correctly.

Thanks again

Mar 22, 2004 at 07:23 PM
EmJayPrice
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 8x12 to 8x10 w/o cropping HELP!

Hate to tell you, but it's not going to work without either squishing something or stretching something else. It's just mathematics plain and simple.

The only way to do it is to crop. You could put a border in to make the 4:5 aspect ratio and then resize.

All non 3:2 prints are cropped.

Next time you will think about printing while taking the shot.

FWIIW - I am sure many of us have done the same thing. I know that I did.

Mar 23, 2004 at 01:59 PM
Teddy_Horse

[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 8x12 to 8x10 w/o cropping HELP!

Difficult task to non-crop an 8x12 to 8x10 :-)
What you can do is to use the "browser" in Photoshop CS (perhaps in 7 as well). All you have to do is to record the modifications you do on one single picture. Then using the "automation" you can batch the job to all the 100 photos (built in to CS). I am using this feature on my website so I resize my shots to the correct size, I give them a white border (like a print with borders), then drop a shadow and draw another bounding rectangle around it. Works pretty well.

Also keep in mind that the human eyes cannot resist more than 97% shrinking. The rest has to be cropped. Otherwise your eyes will recognise the trick.
If you need more explanation just drop me a mail.

I hope I did not misinterpreted your question.

EDIT:
After rereading your question I understood your problem. The AM description is exactly for you.
Ahh, and also sorry for my lousy English. It is not my native...

Mar 23, 2004 at 04:46 PM
BryanB
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 8x12 to 8x10 w/o cropping HELP!

I was thinking that if I reduce the image proportionally to fit within the 8x10 canvas that the shrinking effect would not be an issue as all relative dimensions would be preserved... something like 6x9 w/ borders...

Am I wrong?

Mar 24, 2004 at 04:51 PM
nanscombe
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 8x12 to 8x10 w/o cropping HELP!

Hi Bryan,

The way I can think of doing it would be a two stage process, as you do indeed suggest.

1) Use Image --> Image Size to reduce it from 8 x 12 to 6 x 9
That would maintain the aspect ratio but reduce the size of the picture

2) Use Image --> Canvas Size to increase it to 8 x 10
That gives you the resized picture, but with a border of the current
background colour.

This process could be enhanced by then copying the picture to a duplicate layer and doing something a little more fancy with the background layer and then flattening the layers of the image if required.

I hope this helps

Regards
Nigel

Mar 24, 2004 at 05:21 PM
BryanB
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 8x12 to 8x10 w/o cropping HELP!

Thanks Nigel... I will try it as soon as I get home.. I need to make it a clean process so I can replicate it in an action.

Mar 24, 2004 at 05:40 PM
Teddy_Horse

[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 8x12 to 8x10 w/o cropping HELP!

OK. I understand your situation. THERE IS AN EASY SOLUTION TO MAKE IT FOR ALL THE 100 PIX within less than an hour, AND YOU DONT HAVE TO SIT AT YOUR MACHINE! You have to set only TWO photos. One landscape and on portrait.

1) Open Photshop CS
2) Open the 1st image in a normal way
3) Pick the "Actions" tab on the right side of the screen
4) Click the "New set" button below the "Actions" tab
5) Give the name: "My Actions"
6) Now click on the "Create new action" button
7) Give it the name "8x10 Portrait with no crop"
8) Image menu=>Image size. Set width and height to 75 *percent* (give by procentage it is better) Click OK.
9) Image menu=>Canvas size. Extend the height by 1 inch. Extend the width by 2 inch. Make sure the anchor is the center one. (In case of landscape image)
10) Now use the "save as" command (not the save) and save your example somewhere with a different name
11) Click on the "Stop recording" button below the actions panel.

Now comes the fun

12) "File menu=>Browse"
13) Find the directory where your files are located
14) Select all the portrait photos (hold the CTRL button and click on the image once)
15) Now go to the "Automate=>Batch"

In the pop-up window set the following:

Set: My Actions
Action: 8x10 Portrait with no crop
Source: File browser
Check the "Suppress File open dialogboxes", uncheck the others
Destination: Folder
Select a directory where you want to save your results (THE ORIGINALS WILL NOT BE OVERWRITTEN)
Check the Override Action "Save as commands"
And give a file name as you wish.

This is it you are done. Now if you click on the OK button it will do the same actions with all the files you selected AND it will save them to a specified folder with a new name.

Dont forget to do the same for the landscape photos. Use your intelligence. The whole procedure should last far less than one hour including the batch, when you dont have to sit at your machine.

And one thing, set the background color BEFORE you start the batch.

Mar 24, 2004 at 05:55 PM
EmJayPrice
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 8x12 to 8x10 w/o cropping HELP!

This is really great stuff. Thanks for helping me to learn as well.

Mar 24, 2004 at 08:03 PM
BryanB
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 8x12 to 8x10 w/o cropping HELP!

Thanks Teddy.. I really apreciate you taking the time to detail all out for me.. I am not exactly a Photoshop guru so every little hint helps.

Actually I also want to thank all the others that have responded to this thread.. you are all life savers.

Mar 24, 2004 at 08:50 PM
Teddy_Horse

[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 8x12 to 8x10 w/o cropping HELP!

My pleasure. Keep me informed if you succeed or not. If you need more help just let me know.

Mar 25, 2004 at 04:53 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.