New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       6       end

Archive 2009 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

east

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

i forgot: all my zuiko produce also huge amounts of CA's...in every direction...

so, you take such a small gem in your hand and think great, but then you do make some shots and see, this not, that not and here, oh, this is also bad.

and yes, this is it: om-zuikos were nice tries, optimised for size and weight, but not really up the optical standards of the modern era. today, they lag behind. there are just too much negative points about them.

but having said that - i still like to use them with my olympus film cameras

Sep 23, 2009 at 04:10 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

You mention the 24/2.8. 16-9.net did a "shootout" of the best 24mm lenses and up against the best lenses in production today, the little Zuiko 24/2.8 did very well.

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/24mmcup/final/24mm_final1.html

This isn't the thread for this, so let's post more 28/3.5 photos!

Sep 23, 2009 at 04:16 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

east,

This thread is about the 28/3.5. The sharpness in the corners is identical to the sharpness in the centre and there is virtually no CA. All you have to do is look at the samples to see what an excellent lens it is. On page 1 I provide 100% crops of all 4 corners. Benvision and ewadler's crops show the same performance. The corners from this lens remind me a lot of the legendary Contax Zeiss 21/2.8 Distagon (I know from experience).

BTW, Olympus never made an OM 35mm/3.5 lens, so it is difficult to take your opinion seriously.

Edited on Sep 23, 2009 at 04:46 PM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2009 at 04:30 PM
east

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

yes, i know this test. but i used this lens to actually take *photographs*. it is about as sharp as every other 24mm lens out there, for taking real liefe pictures, not comparing 100% cut-outs.

it has *ridicoulos* distorsion. so bad, I have actually stopped to use this lens at all. it flares like hell. social portrait in a dim bar with some spot light sources? forget about it. corner sharpness, whats that? and then there are these LO-CAs. this is not even an average lens, actually it is a bad lens, in my opinion. may be it has good center resolution, but resolutions is not all.

if I sound a bit too harsh - yes I am, because exactly such exotic tests drive people to make wrong buying decisons. believe me, my old 2,8/24mm ais nikkor was light years ahead of this zuiko.

besides, whats the point in compairing a zoom lens, a special wide opened lens with a "normal" wide angle lens. you'd buy any of them for different reasons...

Sep 23, 2009 at 04:35 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

You had either bad copies or bad techniques.

I can tell you one thing. Nobody around here is going to agree with you, and we've all used these lenses to take photographs. Look in this thread. Do you see "photographs"? Don't be such a condescending prick.

Again, this is the 28/3.5 love thread. We aren't comparing to it anything. We just love it. If you don't, then be on your way, lest it become the "east hate thread."

Edited on Sep 23, 2009 at 04:44 PM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2009 at 04:37 PM
alexandre
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

Yeah, stop bashing Zuikos!

If you want to compare mounts, I have some arguments. Please open a thread and we can talk.

Sep 23, 2009 at 04:44 PM
Empire
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

East, have you by any chance ever heard of a little phenomenon known as SAMPLE VARIATION?

I have the 24/2.8 and while it does flare, the sharpeness issues you note are beyond anything I have ever seen. I have also used two copies of the nikon 24/2.8 AI and two copies of the the 28/2 - in terms of sharpness all these nikkors I use are terrible compared to the zuikos. They also have bad curvature of field.
On the other hand, the nikkors DO have really really good flare handling IMO which is why I keep them.

Sep 23, 2009 at 04:45 PM
Empire
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

Man Cogitech you're turning into a bad-ass

Sep 23, 2009 at 04:46 PM
east

p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

@ cogitech: thanks for compliments.

now it was a typo i meant a 3,5/28mm, of course. it is not my goal to convice you that i am right. i know what i see in my pictures taken with my 28mm lens. if in your logic anybody that does not agree with you has no right to do so then i congratulate you!

your pictures are not suitable to judge CA, there is too little local contrast between the skies and the branches. you did not mention distorsion at all. why shoudl I use a prime if it has a distorsion?

corner sharpness: even at such a small internetlike enlargement i can see unsharp corner in the lower right corner of the picture with the lady in the pool.

@ empire: sadly enough i see weak corner sharpness in all my zuiko lenses, may be with 50mm primes not so. i have even rescanned lately some older "nikkkor negativs" to check if my memories from the 1990ies are wrong. they are not, the nikkors were sharp up to the edge, my zuikos are not.

i see no point in a thread going over 2 pages and saying all the time "me too". i said many times i still like my zuikos, and use them, but was disppointed with them after a closer look. are guys on drugs or what?

Sep 23, 2009 at 04:58 PM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

The best way forward is to post some clear pictures.

It works both ways: people can say "this lens is the best" or "this lens is the worst", but clear picture samples will help illustrate if there is an issue with image quality or not. Quite often the hidden factor in both positive and negative claims is user technique.

Some alt lenses require study and good technique to pull the best out of them.

Edited on Sep 23, 2009 at 05:30 PM · View previous versions

Sep 23, 2009 at 05:07 PM
alexandre
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

For me, it's all about price/performance and usability on Canon EF mount.
If I had the money, I'd have a Distagon 21, Noct-Nikkor 58, Voigtlander 125/2.5 and Zuiko 250/2. But I prefer to spend almost $10k elsewhere.

Sep 23, 2009 at 05:11 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

east wrote:
corner sharpness: even at such a small internetlike enlargement i can see unsharp corner in the lower right corner of the picture with the lady in the pool.

It is wide open! That corner isn't even in the focal plane. Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Again, it is the Zuiko 28/3.5 love thread. Go start a "I hate Zuikos thread". Good bye.

Sep 23, 2009 at 05:19 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

Empire wrote:
Man Cogitech you're turning into a bad-ass

Do you blame me? Can you believe this effing guy? So much for tact... So he gets it right back.

Sep 23, 2009 at 05:25 PM
east

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

there is a significant change in the pattern of texture. wide open does not mean the corners must be beyond any sharpness. which apparently your understanding is

Sep 23, 2009 at 05:32 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

east wrote:
there is a significant change in the pattern of texture. wide open does not mean the corners must be beyond any sharpness. which apparently your understanding is

You're still here?

As long as you are, show me a 28mm lens that is tack sharp in the corners, wide open, even when something falls out of the focal plane.

On second thought, just go start your own "hate" thread.

Sep 23, 2009 at 05:35 PM
Empire
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

East if you are talking primarily about corner sharpness at wide open aprtures then perhaps the nikkors are better, but one click down and the zuikos are on song basically edge to edge.

By design many Zuiko lenses are best at f11 and are extremely diffraction resistant at f16. My zuikos are the only lenses that I will use at f16 - something which I find very handy for landscape.

Also, as stated by others, the price of the 28/3.5 makes it one of th best value lenses ever made. I do however really dislike its ugly orange veiling flare.

In terms of distortion, the 24mm does have some barrel distortion but since most people are now using their zuikos on digital cameras it is extremely easy to fix (in that it is not complex waveform distortion).
I find the 21/3.5 to have quite good geometry.

CA is visible in the 24mm but even a trained monkey can correct that almost perfectly with Capture One or DXO Optics software.

What the zuikos offer is a very well balanced package

Sep 23, 2009 at 05:42 PM
east

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

i bet my canon 28mm will be sharper. may be I even test it and come back to this thread in a few weeks again. there is a rapid change of texture, out of focal plane or not. would it be any good it would still be out of focus, but more evenly so.

i do not say this is a bad lens. the lens is quite nice because it is small and dirt cheap, but thats all. optical perfection lays elswehere. good nite.

Sep 23, 2009 at 05:43 PM
Empire
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

err, nobody ever said it was perfect

its a lens that costs as much as a carton of beer. what do you want, leica 28/2.8 performance?

As has been said, this is a thread for people who LIKE what the 28/3.5 has to offer, regardless of any flaws it may have, and while you do have some reasonable arguments (flare) nobody really gives a wet fart because we are using this thread to share images from a lens that we (the users of the lens) like.

Sep 23, 2009 at 05:51 PM
brainiac
[X]
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

Paul, I don't think east deserves to be effed at.

east, your posts are a bit off-topic. If you have some samples showing poor performance from the Zuiko 28 f3.5 they would probably be OK here, as contrast, but criticism of Zuiko lenses in general might better be done by starting a thread on the topic. I agree with you that most Zuikos are far from perfect, while at the same time being a lot of fun to use.

Here's a Zuiko 28 f3.5 shot which exhibits very good performance, as long as you like vibrant bokeh:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/oly28f3.5/aostacoffee.jpg
if you peer through the 5D2 banding in this crop you can see a pretty good zone B close-up performance. This was either wide open or f5.6:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/oly28f3.5/aostacoffee_crop.jpg

For good measure, here's a shot with the 28 f3.5 or 21 f3.5 but I can't remember which, on 5D2:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/aosta_lowrez.jpg
corner crop
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/aosta_cornercrop.jpg
centre crop:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/aosta_centrecrop.jpg

Bearing in mind this is on 21 Mpixels, they're pretty good lenses if you know how to use them, and tiny:
http://cyberphotographer.com/5d2/oly28pocket.jpg

Sep 23, 2009 at 06:02 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Zuiko 28/3.5 Love Thread

brainiac wrote:
Paul, I don't think east deserves to be effed at.

Then you're a better man than me. I'll remain happy to insult his intelligence as long as he does the same, and since I started the thread, and it is a "love" thread, and I love the lens, I certainly don't feel unjustified in asking him to take his negativity and narrow-mindedness elsewhere.

Sep 23, 2009 at 06:16 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.