FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2009 · LensAlign Pro

Deezie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · LensAlign Pro

Deezie wrote:
I've also heard from a few peeps that it works best with L lenses.

Not really. It works fine with 200-400 VR Nikkors too.

EBH

EBH - my reference was only to Canon L lenses vs Canon's non L's. But you knew that, of course.

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:06 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · LensAlign Pro

I don't happen to have any non-L lenses other than the 4004 DO, so I wouldn't know much.

EBH

Aug 16, 2009 at 10:12 AM
Vertigo2020
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · LensAlign Pro

If all you're doing is adjusting lens AF point the LensAlign is a waste of money. A very cheap alternative can be made out of a wooden yardstick and a playing card. Just score the edge of the yardstick at a 45 degree angle midpoint with a knife about 1/16 inch deep. Insert the side of the card in the cut. Set up the yardstick at 45 degrees and use the card as your target. Total cost about 50 cents.

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:32 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · LensAlign Pro

Deezie wrote:
It's not snake oil, it's convenience and accuracy supported by a plethora of videos and other support information that takes a lot of the guess-work out. As a commercial photographer my time is worth a lot and I don't want to sit around in my garage thinking of ways to tinker with gadgets in order to save a few bucks.

I'm not a photographer, but that is my philosophy as well. I suppose there are many people who like to build and make things, so it is interesting to them.

EBH

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:52 AM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · LensAlign Pro

Deezie wrote:
It's not snake oil, it's convenience and accuracy supported by a plethora of videos and other support information that takes a lot of the guess-work out. As a commercial photographer my time is worth a lot and I don't want to sit around in my garage thinking of ways to tinker with gadgets in order to save a few bucks. My gear operating at its best is critical to my reputation and my clients needs.

I would normally agree with you - I'm not a DIY guy when it comes to time vs money decisions. It's hard to beat out a commercially available product.

But in this case both the calibration process and the tools needed to do it are simple in and of themselves. This doesn't require hours (even a single hour) of intense thought to figure it out, it's obvious how to do it. I don't think I have that wrong, do I?

$179? That's absurd. $19.95 and you have to make the stuff yourself? Even worse. These guys have pushed the absurdity scale way off the charts on this one from what I can tell.

J.

Aug 16, 2009 at 01:34 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · LensAlign Pro

John,

I see what you're saying, but for me the $179 is a business expense. So I can purchase a well-made product that will continually and reliably serve my needs for years, or I can forgo the product and give the $179 to Uncle Sam in the form of taxes. I've set up a business structure to empower me, and this is one of the perks.

When you purchase the product, it comes with video tutorials and customer support to ensure correct procedure, further reducing wasted time from trial & error. I need the ability to test my lenses before big jobs to ensure that on the only day I have to get it right - I get it right. I won't always have time to send my lenses in to Canon for calibration and I like having a tool allows me to accurately configure my lenses on the spot. For me, the $179 is peace-of-mind and a drop in the bucket, in terms of the headache and heartache that I will incur if my lenses don't perform for a client. For me, this isn't absurd - it's good business.

Cheers!

Aug 17, 2009 at 09:32 AM
ozhop
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · LensAlign Pro

How does it work with zoom lenses. Does the error factor usually differ at either end of the zoom FL.

Aug 18, 2009 at 06:39 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · LensAlign Pro

Deezie wrote:
John,

I see what you're saying, but for me the $179 is a business expense. So I can purchase a well-made product that will continually and reliably serve my needs for years, or I can forgo the product and give the $179 to Uncle Sam in the form of taxes. I've set up a business structure to empower me, and this is one of the perks.

When you purchase the product, it comes with video tutorials and customer support to ensure correct procedure, further reducing wasted time from trial & error. I need the ability to test my lenses before big
...Show more

I own a business and have for 17 years. You're a bit off on the accounting.... The United States does not have a 100% tax rate .... yet.

I see your point and would agree if this were anything but simple to replicate. Get the focal distance right and a graduated scale and you're in business. A yardstick would work great, for instance tipped up at an angle. I think we have had our yardstick for probably 20 years now and it's been reliable too.

The business I think I wish I had is making these things. $179 is a whale of a rip off - unless I'm missing something big. Looks to me like the cost of goods sold is about $5 (being generous). That turns into some insane profit margin (35X multiplier).

J.

Aug 18, 2009 at 09:39 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · LensAlign Pro

How about this one for $1,300

DSC Labs Lens Chart

Aug 21, 2009 at 06:10 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · LensAlign Pro

I own a business and have for 17 years. You're a bit off on the accounting.... The United States does not have a 100% tax rate .... yet.

Pardon my oversight. What I was referring to was the huge amount of savings I incur by expensing literally everything I purchase to my business, which adds up to a great deal of savings. I guess I may have gotten a bit spoiled, because $179 is just a drop in the bucket.

Aug 21, 2009 at 09:33 AM
TEASER
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · LensAlign Pro

Does not take much to setup something on your own. Friend came over my place to test with me. He printed out the test patern an glued it to the box and added the rest.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/TEASER2/_MG_0676.jpg

My 500L:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/TEASER2/_MG_4628.jpg

Aug 22, 2009 at 08:14 AM
E-Vener
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · LensAlign Pro

The LensAlign Pro works great. You'll find that not every specific body/lens combination needs adjusting but if you are either a serious amateur or a pro the combos that do need adjusting make the cost of the LAP a worthwhile investment whatever camera make you use, if the camera has a built-in AF adjustment tool.

What "Teaser" 's set up lacks is easy repeatability and quick alignment set up.

Aug 24, 2009 at 09:02 AM
choiboyogg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · LensAlign Pro

Vertigo2020 wrote:
If all you're doing is adjusting lens AF point the LensAlign is a waste of money. A very cheap alternative can be made out of a wooden yardstick and a playing card. Just score the edge of the yardstick at a 45 degree angle midpoint with a knife about 1/16 inch deep. Insert the side of the card in the cut. Set up the yardstick at 45 degrees and use the card as your target. Total cost about 50 cents.

i used something similar to what you suggested but with business cards, ruler and file clips to hold the biz cards.

worked pretty good. all my lenses are spot on now...

ill post pics in just a bit

Aug 24, 2009 at 06:04 PM
choiboyogg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · LensAlign Pro

1. first thing i did was take two business cards. these have a pretty good thickness so it was nice and flat. i then took one of the cards (top card) and punched holes in various areas. i then took a red pen and marked the 2nd card by overlaying the first card on top.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/manley099/Junk/IMG_9312.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/manley099/Junk/IMG_9313.jpg

2. i then found some file clips and i placed them on the bottom of the card to keep them standing nice and straight. you have to make sure they are perfectly straight as these clips are concaved on the bottom.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/manley099/Junk/IMG_9311.jpg

3. i then took a fabric ruler and placed it over my e.honda figure like so. i then placed my biz cards right next to the ruler and spaced the front and back cards about a few inches apart. (i know the cards arent perfectly aligned with the ruler in the photo. i just threw it together for the photo, illustrative purposes only.)

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w171/manley099/Junk/IMG_9309.jpg

4. i just used one of the holes to make sure that it was aligned properly and then adjusted the micro adjustment menu from the outcome. i had to basically adjust all my lenses about +5 to +6

i hope this helps

Aug 24, 2009 at 06:27 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · LensAlign Pro

John, can you point me to the downloadable charts?

Is the 40D adjustable?

I doubt the 300D is.

Aug 25, 2009 at 11:14 PM
dancam
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · LensAlign Pro

The Lens Align Pro is a great tool. It is well made, extremely useful, and easy to use. I have all of my lenses calibrated to my 5D2 and they really shine. You won't be able to calibrate your 20D but, you will at least be able to see if everything is up to spec.

Aug 26, 2009 at 03:34 AM
dancam
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · LensAlign Pro

As E-Verner said, the real advantage to the Lens Align is the precision and repeatability. There is no doubt that anyone with some basic creativity and mechanical knowledge can make something that will work but, every time and exactly the same is the problem.

Aug 26, 2009 at 03:38 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · LensAlign Pro

ozhop wrote:
How does it work with zoom lenses. Does the error factor usually differ at either end of the zoom FL.

Usually ? I don't know. However, it can and does happen that the error varies with focal length and in those cases the single-setting in-camera microadjustment will not be enough and a visit to Canon (or whatever brand) is required to have the lens calibrated fully.

- Alan

Aug 26, 2009 at 07:46 AM
chesapeake
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · LensAlign Pro

It's right up there with the Artic Butterfly as an example of ridiculous overpriced camera gear. I'm happy to spend my money on well designed high quality gear but this is simply ridiculous. I would have thought the new economy would have put an end to this sort of silliness.

Aug 26, 2009 at 11:46 AM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · LensAlign Pro

Michael White wrote:
John, can you point me to the downloadable charts?

Is the 40D adjustable?

I doubt the 300D is.

Neither the 40D or the 300D is adjustable through the menus and on a lens by lens basis. They are adjustable on a camera body basis but it is done by Canon. You can do it if you want to, you just need to buy the shims that go into the viewfinder - presuming it is the same as my XT. Not hard to do but a bit fiddly.

Here's a decent chart:
http://focustestchart.com/chart.html

Here's another one:
http://regex.info/blog/photo-tech/focus-chart

Just do a search for "camera lens focus chart" and you'll find several plus calibration procedures. All that remains is to read your manual and understand how to calibrate your body.

I believe that all you need is a device with graduations marked on it. Place it at an angle and see where the DOF lines up. See where the DOF is and adjust as required. As long as the graduations are equally spaced, and the scale is held at a consistent angle so the cosine/sine error is the same, you should be fine. You just need to be able to tell the DOF is moving back and forth and until you get it where you want it to be. Not rocket science by any stretch.

The LensAlign "Pro" would be worth it if it were at $25 or less. Where it's at is ridiculous.

J.

Aug 26, 2009 at 03:54 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.